Ranged Attacks

By Twelve3, in UFS Rules Q & A

Hey Guys,

I have a question about Ranged attacks. It's probably pretty basic, but the rulebook doesn't cover it, that I saw, at least.

So I've seen the cards that say "ranged: this card can block a ranged attack as if it were a mid range block at 0 difficulty", or something along that line. And I've seen attacks that just say "ranged"

So, by that logic, I am inclined to believe that the only way to block a ranged attack is with a card that states that it can block a ranged attack.

Is this correct?

No, ranged attacks can be blocked as normal. Ranged attacks are just extra good at blocking other ranged attacks. For example if someone attacked you with a ranged attack and you had a Soul Spark (see below) you could either block at +4 High or +0 Mid.

SF04_085_144.jpg

Ok, thank you. Was afraid of that, hehe

Yeah bro all ranged means is that it can be played against another ranged attack at a plus zero mid block

the story goes: in the beginning ranged was just a keyword trait. then they decided that they didnt want to print the ranged text on every card anymore so they made ranged a keyword ability with the intent that any card with ranged also has the ascociated text. any old cards with them are now redundant in the case that they now technically have the ranged text twice.

same with throw .

History lesson:

"Ranged" originally referred to two types of attacks: 1) fireballs and other projectiles, and 2) attacks that throw your body across the screen.

The additional blocking ability was added to fireballs and the like, so that fireballs could easily cancel out other fireballs (or even attacks like E. Honda's headbutts, which throw him across the screen).

The additional blocking ability was NOT added to the flying headbutts and similar, because you usually can't cancel a fireball by hitting it with your face.

But as mentioned above, the additional blocking ability took up a lot of space, so they changed the rules and incorporated it into the word "Ranged."

Now all ranged attacks are good at blocking other ranged attacks.