Prospective Player: Former TCG players, how do you feel about reduced customizability

By Squark, in Star Wars: The Card Game

So, after playing in a few M:TG drafts at my local FLGS, I'm realizing that X-wing isn't really scratching the same itch M:TG did. Don't get me wrong, X-wing is great; It's basically entirely supplanted 40k (Armada basically finished it off for good). And FFG's LCG model seems to be the answer to the reason I got out of magic- Vital cards being limited in supply due to rarity* (Also, Planeswalkers, but that's another issue). There are a few other features that are interesting- I could carry two sixty card decks, a rulebook, and some tokens much more easily than I can transport two x-wing lists and all the necessary tools, which is a big plus.

However, having less control over my deck is kind of offputting. My deck essentially being 10 choices instead of 60-61 is a big change. Now, of course, deck construction doesn't actually have 60 choices in m:tg (You want redundancy, so you're running 4 copies of staples, 2-3 copies of important late game cards, etc.), but that's also present here- Dupilcating objectives to get more consistency means I'm probably only choosing 7-8 card sets. Now, there's still a fair bit of choice when you consider the number of objectives, but it still feels limiting.

So, my question to former TCG players: How do you feel about the level of control you have over the contents of your deck in this game?

*Specifically, I was angry that single-color removal was being moved to uncommon and generally being discouraged in favor of cycles of multicolor charms- Which, to be run, generally require expensive rare lands- Even though wizards has demonstrated that printing dual lands at common/uncommon doesn't hurt the health of a draft format.

For me personally, it is hard to put into words my thoughts on this excellent inquiry. I will briefly state that I had to fundamentally change how I value cards for deck construction when a card comes with possibly 4 other cards I would not particularly want in my deck. And the opposite holds true also, such as when I find an Objective set where there is one stinker of a card (i.e. does not really contribute to the meta I am trying to achieve and has low Force pip count.) I feel each choice one has to make is comprised of many more variables for each card/set (i.e. How does this set effect overall comp. of the deck, does the O set affect the meta/focus of the deck, how valuable are the "weak" cards in terms of Edge battles). Well I will stop there and observe other's posts before I begin to ramble even more. Once again, I think this is a great line of inquiry and will follow this thread to see other's thoughts.

Edited for clarity and grammar.

Edited by Devon Greatwolf

Short version: it's fewer decisions but each of those decisions has much greater impact. I also come from a background of MtG (and SWCCG) and was quite skeptical at first because I love deck tinkering, but I personally have found that being forced to build around suboptimal cards keeps the challenge similar. Also makes for interesting game play where sometimes the winner is determined by who makes the best use of their "bad" cards

This is the reason I chose the SW LCG over other deckbuilders in the first place (well, this and the officially supported team play). I love deckbuilding in general but I abhor the play, tweak, play, tweak, play, tweak vortex in a deck where you can put any cards you want in. The objective set system is limits my choices to a few, overarching decisions about how I want to play, without mucking me in the minutia of every single card choice. And it does so in an interesting way, making each decision on what to include in my deck that much more strategic. I find, like those above, that trying to choose between "mini-decks" of good and not-so-good cards is a more interesting question than simply what are the best cards.

I also come from a Magic and Star Wars CCG background, and I actually prefer the OSet construct. As I have gotten older, I have less time to constantly tweak a deck if I want to also play. It is for this reason (and the cost associated with collecting a game and playing a game) that I like it over traditional CCGs.

I think for casual players it has a significant impact.

So, after playing in a few M:TG drafts at my local FLGS, I'm realizing that X-wing isn't really scratching the same itch M:TG did. Don't get me wrong, X-wing is great; It's basically entirely supplanted 40k (Armada basically finished it off for good). And FFG's LCG model seems to be the answer to the reason I got out of magic- Vital cards being limited in supply due to rarity* (Also, Planeswalkers, but that's another issue). There are a few other features that are interesting- I could carry two sixty card decks, a rulebook, and some tokens much more easily than I can transport two x-wing lists and all the necessary tools, which is a big plus.

However, having less control over my deck is kind of offputting. My deck essentially being 10 choices instead of 60-61 is a big change. Now, of course, deck construction doesn't actually have 60 choices in m:tg (You want redundancy, so you're running 4 copies of staples, 2-3 copies of important late game cards, etc.), but that's also present here- Dupilcating objectives to get more consistency means I'm probably only choosing 7-8 card sets. Now, there's still a fair bit of choice when you consider the number of objectives, but it still feels limiting.

So, my question to former TCG players: How do you feel about the level of control you have over the contents of your deck in this game?

*Specifically, I was angry that single-color removal was being moved to uncommon and generally being discouraged in favor of cycles of multicolor charms- Which, to be run, generally require expensive rare lands- Even though wizards has demonstrated that printing dual lands at common/uncommon doesn't hurt the health of a draft format.

As an old TCG player, I feel the objective system is restricting and sometime frustrating. That no mean the game is unplayable but it doesnt offer the same level of control over your deck that other LCG or CCG offer you.

People who are in love with that game are usually casual players, old CCG players who grew tired or have less time tweeking decks or players that enjoy the challenge of building weird decks. According to your post, you dont seem to fit into these categories so maybe you should look at Netrunner, Conquest or maybe the Game of Throne 2.0 instead?

Edited by vilainn6

I have the game and really want to like it, but I do wish they would go ahead and hit the reset button and go to a system more inline with their other LCGs. I would prefer the level of customization afforded to AGoT 2e or Netrunner than the current pod system.

The overall mechanics for the game are fine, it's just deck construction.

I actually really took to the deckbuilding system at first, because it offered something different from what I could get from any other CCG. But the execution has been a mixture of success and failure, particularly from the standpoint of someone like me, who plays just as much for the story as the gameplay. Let's be honest: we looked at this game because it was Star Wars first and foremost. But I go a step further and use my love of the canon to inform my deckbuilding choices. I'm a Ned player, to use Thrones terminology. And when I see a Hoth objective that contains Don't Get Cocky!, a card evoking a memorable moment that takes place years before the Hoth base is first established, a connection the rules force me to abide by, it makes me wanna tear my OCD hair out.

I find the pod setup to be a nice way of building a deck in this game. Sure every pod has cards that you may think are "crap". But think of all the things that happen in this game. Sure you have your standard units that attack and defend but there are so many things after that. We have edge battles, recourses, balancing the force, events that can some time win you the game if played at the right time. I feel that each pod gives you a little bit of everything so that all the decks are on similar playing fields. When I played magic it felt like, if I didn't have the newest and rarest cards my deck just couldn't compete. However in this game I can use a core set and some hoth objectives and still have a chance against someone with all the cards including imperial entanglements. I know this because I did it. So in my opinion, I think the pod setup makes this game fun for everyone. Even if you only have a core set you can still play and have a chance to win.