Prince of Thieves + Dawnsmoor

By James McMurray, in Descent: Journeys in the Dark

Is there an official ruling on how the 20% discount from Prince of Thieves interacts with the 50gp discount from Dawnsmoor's Orc Markets?

What is this 20% discount from Prince of Thieves? I've never heard of it.

No official ruling on that specific subject that I know, but there is a general official ruling that lets players choose the order of things that happen simultaneously, as would be the case here.

So they can choose the most favorable option for them: 20% rebate first, then the 50 gold rebate. 150 for a copper item, 350 for a silver item, and 550 for a gold item.

If you did it the other way, you'd end up with horrible numbers anyway: 160 for a copper item, 360 for silver and 560 for gold, which would then beg the question, "is it rounded up or down?"

For that reason, I'd use the most straightforward way even if letting players choose weren't the official ruling.

SamVimes said:

What is this 20% discount from Prince of Thieves? I've never heard of it.

It's a rumor in Road to Legends. If you successfully complete the quest you get a 20% discount on items you buy in the markets from there on out. We're (hopefully) about to complete it just a few weeks into copper, so will be getting the benefit for a long time to come. Unfortunately Dawnsmoor is about to be razed, so we'll only have the combined bonus for a turn or two unless we get really lucky chasing lieutenants away and the overlord gets really unlucky on his razing rolls.

That explains it. We've only ever done one Rumor Quest, and that one was at Gold level. Just hasn't been something we've really had to deal with.

What did you spend most of your time doing?

It seems to us like rumors are the way to go if you plan on exploring dungeons in earnest, since you get more than just the added few gold and xps when you beat the third level. Though I'm hoping we'll head to the Caverns of Thuul soon, and the OL looks like he's starting to put serious pressure on the overland map, so we may not be doing much random dungeoneering anytime soon. Though I'll still advocate we spend the money to get a rumor when possible, on the off chance something sweet comes up.

I'm the OL, so I usually spend my time killing the heroes or razing cities ;) . They just didn't really plan on where they were heading and so put the rumor in a place that sounded good but ended up being in a seriously out of the way place.

I'd suggest, that since the card lists the new market prices for each treasure level on the card itself, that the orcish market discount of 50 coins would happen to the prices listed on the rumour card itself.