New movies?

By Darthvegeta800, in Star Wars: The Card Game

Is it possible we might be seeing cards for the new movies?

I actually stopped collecting just before at the end of the Cycle prior to Endor. But if in the near future the game would begin focussing on the new movies, I can see myself completing the old trilogy cycles and expansions.

In fact is there any buzz about FFG jumping on the new movie hypetrain to sell related games beyond those mats?

Is it possible we might be seeing cards for the new movies?

I actually stopped collecting just before at the end of the Cycle prior to Endor. But if in the near future the game would begin focussing on the new movies, I can see myself completing the old trilogy cycles and expansions.

In fact is there any buzz about FFG jumping on the new movie hypetrain to sell related games beyond those mats?

Not yet. But I'd be amazed if they didn't at least announce some new expansions based on The Force Awakens for this game. I am hopeful they announce a brand new card game focusing solely on that era. But such an announcement might have to wait on the new trailer to release at the very least. It might - due to the interaction of the plot and game design - have to wait until after The Force Awakens comes out in theaters. I am ever hopeful. And yes those new mats look awesome!

No doubt they will be in the future but probably not able to develop much until the movie actually drops.

*nods* I'll keep an eye on it. If they transfer the cardgame to the new 'era' i'll pick up the missed cycles and expansions probably.

I hope they do not make a brand new card game because if they do it could divide focus away from the current LCG which could make it financially struggle and thus its future in question.

I would rather they do like Xwing and have new Force Awakens set (deluxe, cycle or if necessary additional-core) fully compatible with the LCG so as to combine profits not split them. New FA players may then want to buy the older/other cards too.

Will have to wait and see what FFG is planning (if anything) but I do hope they tell us soon after teasing the playmats.

Integration, not segregation is needed for the LCG to keep strong I feel

No doubt at all it will be added. Not a whole new game. That was never in question.

No doubt at all it will be added. Not a whole new game. That was never in question.

:)

Never in question, eh? That's a bit presumptuous. This game engine is not well suited for many parts/eras of Star Wars AND the game includes EU stuff that is no longer canon according to Lucasfilm. Both of those things lead me to think there is at least a possibility of a new card game set solely in the TFA-era. As someone who is decidedly underwhelmed by the LCG and the reception it has received at many local game stores around the world, I would not be terribly upset if there were a new game.

Never in question, eh? That's a bit presumptuous. This game engine is not well suited for many parts/eras of Star Wars AND the game includes EU stuff that is no longer canon according to Lucasfilm. Both of those things lead me to think there is at least a possibility of a new card game set solely in the TFA-era. As someone who is decidedly underwhelmed by the LCG and the reception it has received at many local game stores around the world, I would not be terribly upset if there were a new game.

Presumptuous maybe but having playtested a few games for FFG I'm confident with my answer. (No i do not have any inside information on TFA stuff, everything I playtested had nothing to do with any TFA stuff and is released/announced already)

Edited by Toqtamish

Having recently put heavy monetary investment into the LCG I certainly would be upset at a new game which could split the playerbase and thus damage the future of the LCG.

I dont see why they cannot be compatible, then it gives people that just want to play TFA-stuff the choice, you dont have to use cards/expansions if you dont want to. The game engine seems fine as the mechanics work and the story aspects are just a framework to sit the mechanics within.

This is a chance for products to compliment and enhance each other, not compete.

Edit: As for non-canon, any named EU character is really no different from an FFG created/invented character, so I dont see that as an issue really providing they avoid actual printed statements of any family ties and such (eg solo/organa kids).

Edited by alexbobspoons

Having recently put heavy monetary investment into the LCG I certainly would be upset at a new game which could split the playerbase and thus damage the future of the LCG.

I dont see why they cannot be compatible, then it gives people that just want to play TFA-stuff the choice, you dont have to use cards/expansions if you dont want to. The game engine seems fine as the mechanics work and the story aspects are just a framework to sit the mechanics within.

This is a chance for products to compliment and enhance each other, not compete.

Edit: As for non-canon, any named EU character is really no different from an FFG created/invented character, so I dont see that as an issue really providing they avoid actual printed statements of any family ties and such (eg solo/organa kids).

I could get behind the "compatible" design. In fact, I could see a StarKiller dial playing the same role as a Death Star Dial. I can't quite wrap my head around having a First Order faction being compatible with an Imperial Navy faction -- BUT if it works just like it does in the X-wing miniatures game, you just hand wave and say they are compatible.

So, perhaps we will just see a new core set. And that explains why there aren't any SKUs in place for any TFA stuff until sometime well into next year. Here's hoping...

I hope they create a new core set, like they did for X-Wing, that's Force Awakened themed. And I hope the new core set has better balance in the pre-constructed decks. A single core set needs to present a better face to new players than the current one does, imo. The Force Awakens presents a great opportunity to reboot the game, attract new players by creating a great introductory experience, but still keep the old cards in play.

If we do see a new core then I hope its contents will have cards(pods)x1 like the Cthulhu set with few duplication (the original SW core is actually pretty good for this).

That way, new players get a better variety of different pods, but people wanting full playsets buying multiples do not have too many useless duplicates.

I know SW is pretty good for this anyway but its still worth remembering.