Counting Coppers and Fortified Position question....

By ScottH3773, in Rules Questions

Hi all -

Usually FFG is very clear about their wording on cards, but for these two plots, does the text apply to all players or just the one actually playing the card? Seems like Fortified Position would be for both (Treat each character as if its printed text box were blank), but Counting Coppers (Draw 3 cards) only for the individual playing the card.

Thanks!

The two cards are clearly worded. "Each Character in play" does just what it says on the tin. Counting Coppers doesn't say "each player." It's a card you own and control that has a card ability on it. It's no more ambiguous as to who draws the cards than is, say, Lannisport.

I'd agree with your assessment of what the cards mean, but again, Counting Coppers isn't clear at all. If that card indeed means just YOU are the one that draws the 3 cards, it would be the only plot card in the core set that does not specify the "you" in the text - all the other cards specify "you" or "each player."

Not true.

Filthy Accusations " When Revealed : Choose and kneel a character"

Power Behind the Throne " When Revealed: Place 1 Stand Token on Power Behind the Throne. Action: Discard 1 Stand Token from Power Behind the Throne to choose and stand a character."

The imperative has an implicit "you" as the subject.

Or Confiscation: " When Revealed: Choose an attachment, and discard it from play."

What it comes down to is that triggered effects apply to the controller of the card unless specifically stated otherwise.

It's the same reason why, when you play "Growing Strong" (" Challenges Action : Choose up to three [Tyrell] characters. Until the end of the phase, each of those characters gets +2 STR."), I don't get to choose any [Tyrell] characters.

Or Calling the Banners and Heads on Spikes.

The imperative has an implicit "you" as the subject.

Wow, I totally forgot that. I was thinking along the lines of "do we really need third-grade definitions of words in the RRG?" but no--it really is third grade grammar.

Be careful with the imperative, implicit "you" explanation. It doesn't always apply, particularly to continuous effects. For example, the text of Fortified Position in an imperative statement, and it doesn't have an implicit "you."