How do I become a Judge?

By notverycreativ3, in Star Wars: Armada Organized Play

Cross-Post from reddit.

I really like the game and I would like to become a judge. In my area there are only a few stores that host events and fewer TOs/judges. I feel if I could get to the judge level of knowledge more events could be held because there would be at least one more person "qualified" to make rulings.

So most important, what do you guys as players look for in a judge?

Next how important is it for a judge to be "good" at the game? Meaning if I know the rules and can make legal/fair rulings, does that outweigh that I may suck at the game? (I totally suck at this game).

How do I become a judge in an official capacity? I know that for MtG WotC has stuff that you have to sign up or register for. The more prestigious the event the more testing you have to go through.

I am a casual player, not competitive, and lose as much, if not more, than I win at any of the SW games and most of LCGs that I play. I am a TO/ judge and seam to be accepted as I keep getting asked back. The big part for me is to show knowledge of the rules and meta, stay friendly and aware of the local player base, and be fair and unattached when making rulings.

Win until your friends don't let you play anymore.

Aside from that, I don't think FFG has an official judge program. I believe (could be wrong) that it's up to stores to provide that nearly 100% of the time. Perhaps at official regional events getting ready for worlds FFG may send judges but I have never played in one of those.

FFG has yet to develop a Judge's Program for any if thier products. The furthest they have gotten has been putting out Floor Rules for Netrunner.

I know the rules thoroughly. I consider myself to have an average level of skill when it comes to playing the game. I don't, generally, make obvious mistakes, and I don't, generally, come up with brilliant tactical coups. I think knowing the rules is much more important than being a tactically gifted player.

I learned the rules by playing as often as possible. When something ambiguous came up, I'd make a note and then research it thoroughly after the game. I've started discussions here to get other opinions and generally just kept up with the forums. There is a plethora of knowledgeable players here and any question you can ask usually gets answered and often discussed . ad nauseam. I became our local Tournament Organizer / Judge by taking the initiative and talking with the local game store owner. I simply said if he'd order the tournament kits I would do the legwork to get the tournament's organized and going. It has been a notable amount of work but I have succeeded in getting a cadre of players developed in my area. I am still a bit surprised, and nervous, when players I know to be skilled (and probably my tactical superiors) ask me questions about fine points of the rules.

Teaching is a really good way to learn the rules better yourself. When you are teaching others you have a lot of incentive to know your subject matter.

Thanks guys.

I think there's a reason that the position isn't called 'judge' but 'tournament organizer'.

I'd say that your ability to set a good date, organize it with your store, get the word out, nudge the fence-sitters, and all that is more important than your knowledge of the rules and ability to make rulings. Obviously, it's really good to know the rules in and out, but most of the calls you're going to have to make are going to resolve questions of in-or-out of arc/range/line-of-sight, and are going to be more about your eyeballs than your noggin' for the rules.

But my scene is pretty casual and collegial. Your community may be filled with a bunch of rule hacks who are trying to pull a fast one.

I think there's a reason that the position isn't called 'judge' but 'tournament organizer'.

I'd say that your ability to set a good date, organize it with your store, get the word out, nudge the fence-sitters, and all that is more important than your knowledge of the rules and ability to make rulings. Obviously, it's really good to know the rules in and out, but most of the calls you're going to have to make are going to resolve questions of in-or-out of arc/range/line-of-sight, and are going to be more about your eyeballs than your noggin' for the rules.

But my scene is pretty casual and collegial. Your community may be filled with a bunch of rule hacks who are trying to pull a fast one.

Yes. I TO several games that I don't play. I find judges for those games and bring them in as part of my team. Using the community to assist in finding judges is part of being able to manage the event.

Yes. I TO several games that I don't play. I find judges for those games and bring them in as part of my team. Using the community to assist in finding judges is part of being able to manage the event.

Hehe, Lyraeus is my protocol droid when it comes to the rules. The few times that a rules question does come up that doesn't have an easy answer, he's usually in the vicinity and I can ask him.