Thyrus Gorman

By fatolaf, in Warhammer Invasion Deck Building

IMO he's not much cop, can anyone explain to me why he should stay in my deck?

Are there any juicy combos with him involved?

For anyone not konwing him:

Set ID U Name R Faction Type C L H P Traits Text
Base 32 U Thyrus Gorman 1 Empire Unit 3 3 3 3 Hero. Mage. Limit one Hero per zone. Forced: After your turn ends, this unit takes 1 damage.

I dont see any great combos for him, but he is providing a great amount of power for its costs.

He is an awesome Hammers to Cost ratio unit. A quick way to throw down 3 quick resources or a temporary card drawing boost. Using other units such as the healing High Elf you can keep him up longer.

No real combos per se, but he does provide a huge boost to any zones power fro very little comparative cost. You may not keep him around for long but you will get at two good rounds of a sizable boost because of him.

Think of him more as an accelerator for your deck. If you couple him with Forced March you can get +3 to your draw AND to your resources.

dormouse said:

Think of him more as an accelerator for your deck. If you couple him with Forced March you can get +3 to your draw AND to your resources.

Although I'm pretty sure Forced March costs resources, so the boost wouldn't be as big. Not sure it'd be worth blowing a Forced March for +1 resources (if I'm recalling Forced March's cost as being 2 correctly), although being able to move him to a zone that needs defending using it is a pretty solid plan. 3 power for 3 cost is awesome, even if it is just for a few turns.

You are correct, it does cost two, and I wrote it back wards any way. I'd play him in my KZ and then move him on defense to my QZ or after defense if necessary. He is an excellent way to boost your draw power without worrying to much about decking yourself.

I also used him, due to his low cost, to "boost" the damage when the opponent tought i had not enough damage to do.

He's not and uber-awesome-superduper hero but he can still be played for some turns at a low cost =)

I like it a lot and totally agree with dormouse.

It changed a couple of matches when, in the early game, I did counted 6/7 resource with no effort, being able to make turn 2 King Kazador or three 2-stuff, invading the board.

After that I'd consider it as a 3 cost per 6 cards draw, allowing, I.E. combo decks to speed up a lot.

I managed to deal 9 damages with him in the early game.

No bad at all.

And then, i do really like the self-destructive power in a MtG black-way or in a Agot's Martell-way. Deal me damage to get more damage back ;)

If I knew what you meant by "not much COP", I could perhaps address your question. Gotta love people using pre-existing terms for a brand new game. Sigh. preocupado.gif

Combined with the High Elf Healing mage he's very effective.

Wytefang said:

If I knew what you meant by "not much COP", I could perhaps address your question. Gotta love people using pre-existing terms for a brand new game. Sigh. preocupado.gif

I think by "not much cop" he meant "not very good". It's a colloquialism.

As for Thyrus, I like him. He's not a brilliant card, nor the perfect card, but he's good enough and quite cheap for what you get - even if what you get won't be around for ever.
But then again, what is?

use temple to shyla to move him to a zone coresponding to annoying units like dwarf rangers and nurgle sorcers with sadistic mutations and then use stubborn refusal to kill them and heal him. move him again next turn and continue attacking. Employed effectively this combo is incredible for empire since they lack direct damage abilities.

I've included 2 copies of Thyrus Gorman in my Empire hand control deck. Combined with the healing power of the High Elves, Gorman adds 3 power for a cheap cost to really boost your hand draw/resource when you need it. He is a card I didn't see myself playing, but is now a staple for speed!