Multiple Copies of Characters

By necromancer120, in General Discussion

I only played a few games of V1 and recall playing multiple copies of the same character in case it died.

Could someone discuss how that actually works?

Thanks!

I'm somewhat new but I am pretty sure I understand this.

Once a unique character goes in your dead pile, the other copies pretty much are dead draws in your hand. They can literally do nothing, BUT before the unique character dies, you can play the other copies on top of him for free. This basically gives that character extra lives. If they would die, you can discard on of your extra copies that were in play to save that card.

Someone please correct me if I am wrong.

Nope, you've pretty much nailed it Josie, that's exactly how it works.

Just to clarify, in case Josie's post is worded ambiguously: while the character is alive and well, you can marshal duplicate copies onto it--you can't play the dupe from hand as an interrupt to save the character. (Although that would be an interesting mechanic. Perhaps an agenda.)

And, if you happen to draw a duplicate copy that gets sniped into the Dead Pile by something like Heads On Spikes before you have a chance to play it, then that character has one foot in the grave--you can't marshal additional duplicates, because the copy in the DP prevents it being played.

Note that the above only applies to unique cards. You can play as many copies of non-unique cards (up to the deck limit of 3, of course) at the same time as you like, and the death of one copy would have nothing to do with your ability to play another.

See:

Unique cards: RRG, p. 22

Duplicates: RRG, p.7

Note that the above only applies to unique cards. You can play as many copies of non-unique cards (up to the deck limit of 3, of course) at the same time as you like, and the death of one copy would have nothing to do with your ability to play another.

See:

Is that unique cards or unique characters ? Because there's some unique locations and attachments - they don't go in the dead pile do they?

See:

Is that unique cards or unique characters ? Because there's some unique locations and attachments - they don't go in the dead pile do they?

Correct. Only characters go into the dead pile, not locations, events or attachments.

Correct. Only characters go into the dead pile, not locations, events or attachments.

Well, now, that's not exactly true. Cards end up in the dead pile by one of two means:

1. Being removed from play by a "kill" effect.

2. Specifically being placed in the dead pile by a card ability or effect.

There is no rule saying that only characters can be put in the dead pile. So while he current card pool only has "kill" and "place in dead pile" effects that apply to characters, that's not to say it could never happen. It is entirely possible that locations, attachments and events could go to the dead pile, and the rules for uniques and the dead pile specifically apply to cards , not characters. If a unique location, attachment or event ever finds its way into the dead pile, you would not be able to marshal, put into play or take control of another copy of that unique card.

Of course, there currently is no way for a location, attachment or event to get into the dead pile (all currently existing "kill" and "place in dead pile" effects only work on characters), but they could show up on some future card. "Dead" locations, attachments and events are all theoretical at this point, but they are not impossible.

Thanks for the input. I also finally saw the rule in the Reference book too. I think I have it.

Another question on this. If you have 2 copies of the same character, can I pay to marshall that character and immediately play a duplicate for free on it?

Thanks,

Basically, yes. Within the limits of the timing structure. In the first edition there were actions your opponent could take which might discard that character before your next opportunity to Marshal its duplicate.

I don't recall that any such effects currently exist in the current edition, you just need to be careful with that word "immediately." But all things being equal, there's no reason you can't marshal a character and a duplicate one after the other.