New GM - needs adivce

By cetiken, in Rogue Trader Gamemasters

I'm fairly new to the 40K setting, but am getting ready to run a Rogue Trader game cause it seems awsome.

I was wondering if any of the vetren players have adivce for running players who may be more familar with the setting mateiral than they are. I don't anticipate any problems with arguments about the truth and hope to let my players take a leading role in what they do. With my role being to act as much as the arbiter of results rather than presenting a liner plot.

My plan is to have some ventures in a varity of directions ready to run at 'm for the first few sessions until i get a feeling for what styles of play they like. Any suggestions on overaching/ recurring nemisis though? The free adventrues imply some issues with Xenos folk and thats cool. Any other ideas though?

Sidequestion: if the rest of the folk is more familiar.. how about one of them running a game while you enjoy the "seat in auditorium" while leanring the universe from the point of view of an pc? Or did you already read all of the published material?

Well, lets use this thread for beginning games masters.

Personally I am wondering when and how a skill test takes place. In the example endeavour in the book it is said that the GM can offer a skill test. For example when they enter the ship there is need for a tech-test.

Do the players have to ask for such things or that these plot things the GM uses at certain points?

Okay, seems we have some new GMs out there anxious to run Rogue Trader. That makes me happy, since I was a playtester for the game and one of my goals was to make this game attractive to new players.

So where do you start? First of all the 40K setting is VERY daunting to new players. There's so much material out there it can cause information overload. Start off with the material in Rogue Trader - it's very thorough and was written by one of the authors of the Warhammer 40,000 universe. Next, download and read through the introductory adventures on the support page. These were designed with new players in mind and go step-by-step. They tell you when to do a skill check, etc. Use the pre-gen characters as well and make this adventure a one-shot (an adventure that doesn't tie into your campaign - especially since you're using different characters). Once you run through that adventure, run Into the Maw from the back of the RT book. This is a great starting adventure for beginning a Rogue Trader campaign. This will also help you get a feel for when to ask for skill checks.

On the subject of skill checks, you and your players will ask for them. For example, as a player I ask you if I can jump up onto a table and then kick some pasty underhive ganger in the face. You would then tell me that I need to make an Acrobatics skill check (since the Acrobatics skill is not a Basic skill - those that can be used even if untrained, but at a lower level) to leap up over to the table and make the strike. Other times, your players may come across an empty alleyway and you want to see if they notice the enemy lurking in the showdows behind a waste-unit. That's when you ask them to make a Perception check. After a while, you'll get the hang of it. And there are plenty of experienced GMs (like the ones on this forum and myself) who would be happy to answer your questions.

On the subject of Endeavours. These were really designed more for simulating an undertaking that increases the group's wealth. As a new GM, I wouldn't worry about them until you have a few adventures under your belt. However, Endeavours are basically plot generators that, once completed, increase the group's wealth (i.e. Profit). They can be long-term or short-term. But they are a guideline for you (as the GM) to gauge when your group has acheived their goals and increases their profit. Again, I strongly recommend that you wait until you have run at least Into the Maw before worrying about these as they can be very confusing to new GMs.

Being a GM is a rewarding, frustrating, liberating, stiffling, fun, and miserable job! LOL! Once you enter the ranks of the GMs you have opened up a whole new realm for yourself. The setting is your to create and mold into your vision (with your players' help, of course). There are many books and sites dedicated to being a Game Master. If you have any questions about this, you are welcome to contact me off-forum.

Hope this Helps!

horizon said:

Well, lets use this thread for beginning games masters.

Personally I am wondering when and how a skill test takes place. In the example endeavour in the book it is said that the GM can offer a skill test. For example when they enter the ship there is need for a tech-test.

Do the players have to ask for such things or that these plot things the GM uses at certain points?

Call for a skill check on the "best fit" skill any time you're wondering if the character would succeed at a stated action.
• If the character should, in your opinion, just say yes.
• if the character succeeding would make no sense at all, say no.
• otherwise, roll them dice.

Reasons to say yes:
• It advances the plot
• Anyone should be able to do it
• Anyone with skill X should be able to do it, and the character has skill X
• It will be fun for you as a GM if they succeed at this task
• Failing would end the adventure prematurely and leave it feeling incomplete
• It doesn't matter to the plot, exploits, nor current action either way. (eg: "I stab the wall with my knife"... Sure!)

Reasons to say No:
• Success would make no sense
• The rules say they can't (A non astropath trying to sense the Astronomicon, a person without tech use repairing a data terminal)
• Succeeding would grant too much reward.

As to how: someone states they are doing something, then the GM figures out what stat, skill, and/or talent is required, and states this, and what the base difficulty mod is. Then (usually) players wheedle for modifiers and state what modifiers their other talents specifically grant. Finally, the mods are totalled with the relevant stat to make a Target Number, and then the dice are rolled. The numbers are compared, and the GM either describes the success or lets the player describe the success (with GM retaining a veto...).

Thanks a bunch! Good advice by both of you.

I don't have much to add there.

I force players to make skill tests when they "just aren't getting it". You have to keep the momentum of the game going and sometimes what is obvious to a character is lost on the character''s player. Award zero or negative exp.

Never say "No". Let them roll if they want to...doesn't mean they don't need ...hmm...50 successes. Keep 'em guessing, even if you know the outcome already. For in truth, it's better if my players ask for a Skill Test than just sit there stumped.

The idea is to have fun. Actual Roleplaying and Problem Solving is fun and you should encourage this up to and including giving bonuses or even automatic success if the Player is trying, improving or extremely entertaining in these two areas. For example, the players are engaging in social intercourse with a shady character down by the docks. Unless it's plot-critical the best result is some good roleplay. If the player's roleplaying isn't quite convincing, I'll have them roll and perhaps go easy on the successes needed, because he tried after all. The worst result is when the player goes straight to "I try to bribe the guy" "Ok, roll you Bribery skill"... Not everything has to have a die-roll attached.

OH: Number 1 (ok, top 3) Rule:

USE NAMES. Make your players use their character's names. Not their class, not "My dude does X", no "I" shoot X...make them use their names.

I'm out of time, but trust me on that one. It's the difference between just a fun afternoon and a Campaign that they'll talk about 15 years from now.

As far as having players who know more about the 40k setting than you do, it they are good players, it won't be a problem. You will learn from them as you go on. If you are a good GM and pick up the feel of 40k, they will forgive you. If they quote from the most dreadful Black Library book to argue with then that is a clue they are not good players. On the job learning is the best kind. :)

If you read one BL book, read Eisenhorn. Which is cheating, since it was orignally released as three novels. My library shelves them in the "teen" section. Each of the three novels is a fast read, and unlike most game world fiction, surprisingly well written. My favorite bits are the two short stories Abnett inserted between the novels. The novels are thrillers in form, but the short stories are horror.

If you want an overarching nemesis, you can use any criminal, heretical, or rival Inquisitional organization as the secret backer for most of the antagnoists you through at your players.

If you get stumped about what to do when your players go nuts, sit back, breath, and pause for a moment to think. "OK, you start off in that direction. I'm going to make a few notes, good time to get a coke if you want...."

Then think of 4 ways to handle their new direction

1. What is the most realistic (40k realism) result?

2. What is the result the players are trying to achieve?

3. What result will screw over your players the most?

4. What would be the most dramatic result?

Then pick one. That's a summation from Robin's Laws of Good Gamemastering. http://www.sjgames.com/robinslaws/

cetiken said:

I'm fairly new to the 40K setting, but am getting ready to run a Rogue Trader game cause it seems awsome.

I was wondering if any of the vetren players have adivce for running players who may be more familar with the setting mateiral than they are. I don't anticipate any problems with arguments about the truth and hope to let my players take a leading role in what they do. With my role being to act as much as the arbiter of results rather than presenting a liner plot.

My plan is to have some ventures in a varity of directions ready to run at 'm for the first few sessions until i get a feeling for what styles of play they like. Any suggestions on overaching/ recurring nemisis though? The free adventrues imply some issues with Xenos folk and thats cool. Any other ideas though?

I had only played WH40K a couple times a while ago, and since I've always favored RPG's and an abstract style of combat resolution, I wasn't that good at or into it (although I really enjoyed it's unique and lush setting). So when I started running Rogue Trader with two players who are lifelong 40k veterans, I had to make it clear that while I didn't know the canon as well as they did, this could be a good thing. A fresh set of eyes that could interpret old ideas a different way, or (granted, only with consideration) alter things enough to make a world that was "old hat" to those guys new again. They've been receptive to my ideas, and we've been playing for a while now and everyone is having a lot of fun. I'm blessed to be playing with these two: They are a trove of info and out-of-print 40k source books and are not the type to whine, "but that's not how it is!" Instead, they'll exchange arched eyebrows with each other and just go with it. I work hard not to let them down, and I can ask them questions on canon without them taking advantage.

A concession: They really wanted to resolve combat on the table (I suspect it's just so they can show off their miniatures to me and the other players. They're really something!), and with time and practice I've gotten pretty good at it. I'm even considering some miniatures and paint of my own and occasionally we get together to play 40k. None of us knew starship combat, so we've all had fun learning what works and what doesn't in that field together.

The Imperium and Koronus Expanse chapters of RT are extensive enough to get you started. If a player wants to bring something into YOUR setting that you don't feel comfortable with, tell them no. Explain why (don't be a jerk about it.), and move on. They'll be grown-ups about it or they won't. That's Role playing 101 right there.

As for non-xeno nemeses (Eldar raiders, bro... They're more then smart and powerful; they're snobby dicks.), how about an underworld prince in Footfall? Someone to lock horns with that the player's can't just shoot, something to do while refitting between expeditions?

40k lore isn't a trouble for me generally. Gamemastering is! haha.

I'm entirely new to GMing and i'm planning on running Rogue Trader in about a month or so. So i'm wondering

1) what's a good size for a group?

2) How far ahead should i plan my campaign out/ how long do these things usually take in a session

3) What do you think of this set-up?

I'm thinking of having the game start off on a fairly well off Imperial planet, the crew are currently searching for a new cargo to continue trading. We'd start off slowly getting the feel of the system here with some trade negotiations, bar fights with rival trader crews, that kinda thing.

Then the planet gets attacked by the forces of chaos, and potent psyker's in the chaos fleet are jamming all Astropathic communications off the planet. The Rogue Trader is paid a handsome bounty by the Planets Rulers in order to run the blockade and bring word of the planets plight to the Imperium, the Rogue Trader would then be approached by a rich noble house offering them an exorbitant fee to be allowed passage on the ship.

This would be followed a 1v1 space combat scenario as they destroy a picket ship and escape into the Warp, possibly pursued by the forces of chaos, i haven't decided yet.

Then depending on if they brought the nobles along or not, one of their passengers would be brutally murdered and found hung upside down, with his tounge and eyes removed and obscene runes carved into his flesh. This would lead to an investigation as they try and find the guilty parties and expose the chaos cult amongst them. Culminating in a fire fight against the Cult as they attempt to sabotage the Gellar field and leave the ship stranded in the warp.

Would that provide me with enough material for a single session do you think, any advice on how to run it, places to improve it?

Hooligan Tuesday said:

I'm entirely new to GMing and i'm planning on running Rogue Trader in about a month or so. So i'm wondering

1) what's a good size for a group?

2) How far ahead should i plan my campaign out/ how long do these things usually take in a session

3) What do you think of this set-up?

I'm thinking of having the game start off on a fairly well off Imperial planet, the crew are currently searching for a new cargo to continue trading. We'd start off slowly getting the feel of the system here with some trade negotiations, bar fights with rival trader crews, that kinda thing.

Then the planet gets attacked by the forces of chaos, and potent psyker's in the chaos fleet are jamming all Astropathic communications off the planet. The Rogue Trader is paid a handsome bounty by the Planets Rulers in order to run the blockade and bring word of the planets plight to the Imperium, the Rogue Trader would then be approached by a rich noble house offering them an exorbitant fee to be allowed passage on the ship.

This would be followed a 1v1 space combat scenario as they destroy a picket ship and escape into the Warp, possibly pursued by the forces of chaos, i haven't decided yet.

Then depending on if they brought the nobles along or not, one of their passengers would be brutally murdered and found hung upside down, with his tounge and eyes removed and obscene runes carved into his flesh. This would lead to an investigation as they try and find the guilty parties and expose the chaos cult amongst them. Culminating in a fire fight against the Cult as they attempt to sabotage the Gellar field and leave the ship stranded in the warp.

Would that provide me with enough material for a single session do you think, any advice on how to run it, places to improve it?

#1 How many players do you have?!? When I'm in that enviable dilemma, I limit myself to 5-6 players.

#2 If you have what you think will be a rockin' Campaign idea, best to plan out 3 adventures in a row. This isn't like Dark Heresy or other RPG's though. The players have their own Ship(s) and may decide to screw up your well-laid plans and do their own thing. Be prepared for this with some prerolled NPC's, sub-plots and mini-adventures as you'll have to wing it. Not a good idea to "force" the group to go the direction you want, but better to "steer them back on the map" with clues and incentives.

#3 Sounds really ambitious to me. But doable. You might want to make the VIP the Governor's Daughter and her retinue. Of course, the Inquisition is going to get involved and it could go a lot of different ways. I did one very similar and it took 3 game sessions to completely resolve. (Dark Heresy game). I would make it a 'Rebel' faction, not revealing their Chaos Cult backing right away. You have to be very careful going from bar-fights straight to Chaos Invasion or you risk the conclusion being anti-climactic.

I think 4 - 6 players are the right size group. Wish I could get that many together regularly.

A word about experienced 40k players trying out Rogue Trader. I have needed to remind my group that this is a ROLE PLAYING game, not a miniature based skirmish game. Make your characters fun, flawed, realistic and outrageous. Not everyone should have a bolt pistol or be in good armor. I made sure I emphasized the non combat part part of the game - fixing things (get those plasma engines running, dagnab it!), investigating rumors or making deals for trade goods or whatever fits the storyline. And sometimes you have a fight when you are not in your armor, or carrying your favorite weapon.

The Chaos invasion sounds ambitious for one sitting, IMHO. It could be carried off, but there is no rush with an RPG. I routinely break the game right before a danger point (just like part one of a television show). As long as everyone enjoys the session, all is good.

I have a problem where we don't have regular players - every session is missing one or three players. So we fill in their roles with other characters from the ship (again, like an episode of a sci fi show where this week "XYZ" becomes a bigger character and gets a chance at center stage.

1)In general you'll want at least 4 players. That one guy can be gone for a night without issue. More than 6 is just too many as players won't get enough time on screen.

2)RT is difficult as the players have a ship, and can just head out towards something. The trick is to have material to buy yourself time. Have a pirate ship encounter all mapped out. Have a daemonic incursion ready. Have some terrible mutant cult on a black deck that everyone refuses to go into. (Black Decks are deserted/forgottent decks not in use.) If the PC decide they really want to do something else spring this on them. This takes up the whole session with planned adventure, and you've got until next session to plan.

3)The setup is okay, but it needs a big bad guy behind it. The PCs should only get hint of him/her/it. Maybe their sensors pick his/her/it's cruiser pursuing them before they go to warp. (Or see the cruiser destroy/board another ship aiding their escape.) Maybe the cultist's dying breath is how they may have killed him/her, but X will see them suffer Y.