Faction Playstyle AGoT compared to other games.

By adiaze, in General Discussion

I'm quite new to the AGoT LCG, so just a quick question if you guys dont mind.

Comparing this to L5R or Magic the gathering, what would be the playstyle of the factions in AGoT? I suppose it's easier to compare to MTG since most people at some point or not in their lives have played mtg, so maybe you guys can help?

I prefer jumping into a playstyle i like and learn to like the game from there... after a while of familiarity, i might 'dabble' into the other colours/faction to increase my playability.

But at start, I prefer something familiar...

Thanks again.

There's a lot of terminology that doesn't *quite* apply, for a few key reasons. The first is that in Thrones, "Rush" is something very different from "Aggro", because the power win condition is very different from the 'pressure your opponent with characters' one. The others are little more nuanced, in that there's no such thing as counterspells, healing, and combo play in general tends to be *far* less 'instant game winning' than in Magic - just very synergistic interactions. Due to the different win conditions in L5R, it may be easier to find equivalences, but sadly I don't have the L5R experience to help there...

I think they meant playstyle of the factions not generally speaking.

Martell has control elements and likes to defend -- L5R Dragon-ish I guess

Night's Watch likes to defend and has a number of under-developed "themes" in the core-only environment. -- L5R Pheonix-ish

Lannister has tons of resources and tricks to do with them. -- L5R Mantis-Econ

Tyrell boost strength and lean toward the offensive -- L5R Lion-ish

Targ is strength reduction (burn) -- L5R Mantis-range/Pheonix-fire spells

Stark is typically pretty one dimensional beatsticks - L5R Crab

Bara is kneeling soft control - L5R crane-dueling

Greyjoy is all about unopposed - L5R Unicorn

No exact translations but you get the idea.

As a scorpion player I can play control out of a number of houses

You may be a Phoenix player (given your avatar) so it really depends on what you like to do.

Many houses will eventually be able to do multiple styles: Rush/Tempo/Control/Combo

Hope that helps

Shikaku

I find that targ is an aggressive military style and the burn is similar to chi-loss decks of old shadowlands or scorpion

Thanks for the info guys.

Looks like I will start off with Targ. with night watch on the side since it's 'underdeveloped' core wise.