Combat preview

By Madmartigan, in Runebound

The first preview of the combat system is up. After a more complete explanation I am more excited to try it. It seems to be an interesting, fast, and tactical system.

Thoughts?

It seems ok, after that first terrible preview all the others have made the game seem good.

Still wish they'd include allies and adding a master token half way through the game seems like a really poor way of progressing the difficulty. Hope there's more to it than that.

If the combat system (where players roll on behalf of monsters) is the extent of player interaction, then I'm really disappointed.

And as I've mentioned elsewhere,I'm not convinced that Runebound needs more tactical combat.

I also agree that Runebound without allies seems like its missing something... I really enjoyed having to recruit allies in 2e.

I bought everything that came out for Runebound 2e, but so far, I'm thinking that I'll pass on 3e. :-( I might reconsider if they come up with good solo rules.

It looks interesting. If I were sitting around the table with a bunch of clones of myself, I think I'd really dig this combat system. As it is, it seems too complex for most of the people I would play with. Since the people I play with don't study games before playing them like I do, I think the intricacies of combat would be lost on them.

The other problem I have with the system is that, well, to be frank -- it won't work with my wife. She is too non-confrontational and if she were controlling the enemy, she would just let me win. If I do end up buying this game, I'm going to need an overhaul for combat so that players don't have to control enemies and make decisions for them.