Home brewed chaos god ideas

By Niz114row, in Black Crusade Game Masters

Hello all I'm running a black crusade and I made my players play through my own home brew quest in which I had them free a chaos god.

Let me explain the god they freed is one I came up with myself called Amserneveah the chaos god of time. Her back story is she was originally the guardian of the well of eternity and so she was not made from human emotion like the other gods. However when tzeentch wanted to know the future by throwing his lords of change into the well it was her who was killing them off. Tzeentch needed her out of the way so he came up with a scheme to trick and imprison her in a sword which he then sealed on a planet in the deepest depths of the warp. Now my players have freed her from her prison and she is now bound on to the soul of one of them until she regains her full powers.

My problem is that being a god the player she is bound to is automatically aligned to her like they would be to any other god and like any other god they should receive mutations and gifts from her as they gain corruption. I'm looking for ideas to construct both her table of mutations and her table of gifts. Any ideas would be much appreciated.

Look up an old book: Tome of Corruption (Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay 2. edition) it contains a 1d1000 chart of mutation, maybe it can help. (Also if he not a chaos god why he need one? How the characters feels about it? it could be a dangerous foe for the ruinous powers....)

She is a god technically she was just born a different way rather than being born from the power of collective psychic emotion coming together like the other gods she was born from the infinite power of the well itself. As for the characters they seem to be okay with it they haven't complained about it to me atleast.

Time is a very powerful well to draw from and can both be a great ability or a terrifying curse. Binding a god to a player though...by Slaanesh that's a lot of power in such a fragile mortal body!

The book described above is available but mutations tend to fit the theme of the god so you might want a few differing ones. On top of the usual for daemon name and weapons you may want something to grant limit foresight or recall of past events (at GM discretion) or something like cellular regeneration by speeding up their metabolism and regrowth in a localised area. Other ideas I have had was while I have been toying with a Chronomancy psyker tree. I need to put that up at some point...

Also she need as many varieties of gifts as her sacred number. so what's her sacred number?

6,7,8,9 are already taken. If it is infinite as time maybe use de 1d1000 chart to represent the infinite gifts...

also unnatural sense (time), foresight talent as gift...

Edited by Athanatosz

Her sacred number is 12 and I've also covered stuff like demon name and weapons and her own unique mark as well.

Edited by Niz114row

What does the mark do?

Some of the gifts table is stock - Daemon Name, Daemon Weapon, etc. I'm less sure what other gifts would be relevant.

A chronomancy table would be nice; the problem is that both divination and tzeench already cover most of the options I can think of - precognitive (whatever), warp time, 'borrowing' your future potential, etc.

The question is, does it allow time travel per se? If so, that allows some interesting mechanics - spending infamy to have yourself from next tuesday intervene, or to receive a warning from one's future self (don't let them retroactively change history easily unless all the players can do it as one - modifying history every time something goes wrong will mean it takes forever to get things done in character).

Her back story is she was originally the guardian of the well of eternity and so she was not made from human emotion like the other gods.

To be honest I don't get it. If she is not made from human emotions (I believe you mean sapient - for example Slaanesh definitly was not created from human emotions, and Khorne was born in War in Heaven times, something about 60 mln years before), why she corrupts people and counts as Daemon at all?

Edited by Aenno

Her back story is she was originally the guardian of the well of eternity and so she was not made from human emotion like the other gods.

To be honest I don't get it. If she is not made from human emotions (I believe you mean sapient - for example Slaanesh definitly was not created from human emotions, and Khorne was born in War in Heaven times, something about 60 mln years before), why she corrupts people and counts as Daemon at all?

Actually, the Warp isn't so much a creation of human emotions. It's more a creation of any psychically attuned or capable race. Few entities have the capability to manipulate the warp in their numbers as humans (due to their numbers and the idea of a massive number of whispers causing an effect) or Eldar due to their psychic potency so they are most likely to contribute to it. The rest meanwhile don't have enough presence or potency to influence it. Tyranids are anti-warp as are Necrons, Tau don't register and Orks believe it to be weird swirly stuff that burps out nice things to go dakka dakka dakka at.

• The chaos gods have come into existence at different times due to varying stimuli and events and it's said for example that Khorne was forged in the warp during humanity middle ages due to the high amount of war and strife going on at the time. This surge of anger and violent emotions culminated in the warp as the god of anger and war.
  • Tzeentch was the formation of the desire for change which is part of all mortal life in some way. All wish for a better tomorrow and for change and so this strong emotion creates the changer of ways.
  • Nurgle has been in since day 1 since everything has to die and everything has to live.
  • Slaanesh though was the formation of the Eldar hedonistic revelry and their ignorance of the warp and the consequences of dark souls in the warp.

The concept of time has and always will exist as long as there has been sentient life capable of understanding it and recognising it. They all recognise that events pass and therefore it is entirely reasonable that such a concept can therefore result in the formation of a god from that belief.

Meanwhile, although most races are hostile to human life and wish to consume their souls, some of them though don't mind or are even amicable to humans. There is so much of the warp which has likely been undiscovered so it is possible in the infinite wastes of nothingness and everything, that there are creatures as yet undiscovered that control or have manifestation of ideas or concepts far outside fragile human minds.

Edited by Calgor Grim
Actually, the Warp isn't so much a creation of human emotions. It's more a creation of any psychically attuned or capable race.

Exactly that I'm saying.

Also humanity middle ages was exactly "now" in galaxy thinking. Khorne, as Necron book says, appeared in the War of Heaven, when Old Ones used warp as a weapon against Necrontir. The first war in universe. After all, he was the first, not Tzeentch or Nurgle.

After all just because some emotion existing don't mean it have Chaos God attuned to it - joy and excel existed long before 28 millenium.

Actually, the Warp isn't so much a creation of human emotions. It's more a creation of any psychically attuned or capable race.

Exactly that I'm saying.

Also humanity middle ages was exactly "now" in galaxy thinking. Khorne, as Necron book says, appeared in the War of Heaven, when Old Ones used warp as a weapon against Necrontir. The first war in universe. After all, he was the first, not Tzeentch or Nurgle.

After all just because some emotion existing don't mean it have Chaos God attuned to it - joy and excel existed long before 28 millenium.

40k fluff, it never agrees with itself perfectly! :P

Also I think you may misunderstand, just because there was not a chaos god personifying the emotion doesn't mean it fails to exist before then. It's more that a large collective excess or extreme of emotion triggers various events.

Also I think you may misunderstand, just because there was not a chaos god personifying the emotion doesn't mean it fails to exist before then. It's more that a large collective excess or extreme of emotion triggers various events.

Once more my thoughts exactly. :)
Slaanesh existed only from 28th Millenium. So you don't need to have god to have emotion. And you don't need humans to manifest a god.
As I recall Khorne was manifested by War in Heaven - and you must admit that first war in the galaxy, where stars diminished and gods died, was more... adequate to realize Khorne that some petty squabbles on some little world somewhere in Local Cluster, where there wasn't even billion of psy active people. Also Enslaver Plague was far more convenient to manifest Hope and Decay Gods that something here on Earth. In middle ages Earth wasn't center of the Galaxy, even in psy approach, with Eldar in their power. Also we all know what happens with a "place" where Chaos God first manifested.

Actually the way I did it was a bit different from what you think Calgor. The way I understand it is that chaos gods are made from emotions and thoughts of all sentient life coming together to form a consciousness is what gives rise to the birth of a chaos god.

Khorne was born from the war in heaven

Tzeentch is the desire for change that all life has

Slaanesh is excessive pleasure that the eldar went through during the fall

Nurgle is life and death that all beings recognise.

Amserneveah was born from the power of the well coming together in a completely random and chaotic event, it's the warp any things possible. So the way I see it is she was made the same way, raw power forming a consciousness the power that made her is just different. The reason why she corrupts humans is because she is still a chaotic entity at heart.

And in answer to your question Magnus no I'm not allowing my players to go back in time and the mark bestows a special ability that's time related depending on the players infamy for example one I made called time pause which requires inf +100 allows character to freeze an enemy for a round but if he fails the willpower test he takes serious damage. after all manipulating time itself would put a heavy burden on the person if he can't control it.

The reason why she corrupts humans is because she is still a chaotic entity at heart.

Well, not every warp entity corrupts humans. Some just eat them. And some ignore them or react, well, chaotically.

If I get you right she is a power that was created itself, not by some shaping thoughts of sapients. How her corruption looks then? Her chosens just start to behave completly erratically and without any sense, or what?

If you want such entity to stay corrupted you should, in my opinion, stays in Chaos Undivided tables. She haven't any affinity to some part of emotional specter, she is not Daemon or Chaos God, she is very powerful warp entity with affinity of time.

I thought about that and actually I only gave her a table of gifts which she can bless people with because I couldn't come up with physical mutations that are time related. So I made a table of special abilities she can bestow on her chosens. For example Chronolock gives the character the incorporeal trait. But when it comes to mutations I'll stick with the undivided table.

Why she need to gift somebody something at all?

Daemons (and Chaos Gods are daemons) eat human psyche. So they essentially buy souls by swapping them to their part of emotional spectre. "You are manifesting Khorne part of emotional spectre, so Khorne give you his gifts, so you continue manifesting Khorne part of..." and so on, until your soul became fully "khornish". Omnomnom time - or, if you're really powerful, Daemonhood, and that's essentially omnomnom too.

What can Amserneveah want from human?

Because she needs power to return to the well. If she tried to return to the well in her weakened state tzeentch would find her in warp the and imprison her all over again so she's hiding in the material realm. So she's giving them gifts to turn them over to her so she can gain the warp energy from their souls so she can go omnomnom on them. Essentially yes it's not her main meal of the day because she mainly survives on the energy of the well but she'll take whatever she can get because she doesn't have access to the well for now.

Edited by Niz114row

Getting interesting. Why don't the players just sacrifice her to Tzeench or any other chaos god? Also players have any other options beside working with her? Or can they r@pe it until they can slave it? (or work out a way to make it a wish granting slave? or make any other way to gain something? By force or any other selfish way?)

Edited by Athanatosz

Just to clarify I gave her her own character sheet specifically so that doesn't happen. I said she's weak but that's compared to her former infinite power. Now she's only as powerful as around 3 greater demons put together so trying to r@pe her or exploit her won't end well for any of them. She'll age them faster than milk that hasn't been kept in the fridge until they're nothing but dust. They're welcome to try that's their choice it's just bad things will happen if they do. The players do have other options they can still choose any god they want it's mainly the player she's bound on to that has no option. But he has a god helping him and he seems perfectly fine with that, who wouldn't be

Edited by Niz114row