Condemnor

By kenobi87, in Dark Heresy Rules Questions

Can someone explain what the Condemnor is and the modes of fire/default ammo? the description says its a boltgun and a crossbow? Also what are the damages listed for the various crossbows when it says *damage is dependent on ammo used* so why does it say like the Castigator has concussive (2) and the damage of 1d10+6? is that if you melee attack someone with it? lol i cant wrap my head around it.

The condemnor is essentially a combi weapon. So it is a boltgun (use the normal boltgun stats and any ammo types available to it that you want) with a 1 shot crossbow secondary weapon attached (use the condemnor stats and any ammo types available to crossbows).

I believe the *damage is dependent on ammo used* note is a mistake. It makes no sense. The only other weapons with that note(launchers) literally have no damage and pen stats of their own and their ammo types do, while the crossbow ammo types have no specific damage values associated with them and they all have their own stats. So I would say just ignore that note. Basically I would say all the crossbows act just like any of the other ranged weapons, with standard ammo that gives the listed damage, pen and special rules and alternate special ammo can be used that changes the weapons abilities as listed in the ammo types' descriptions.

Yeah it seems a bit messed up. The damage is with regular crossbow bolts. Which are not that regular with a Castigator, as it is almost mini-spears.

The Condemnor has damage type R, but bolters always have damage type X, so something is odd with that weapon.

So you get a Boltgun with a Condemnor attached, that seems really really good as a rare aquisition... alright I think i understand the ammo and stats part thanks for clearing that up

The Condemnor has damage type R, but bolters always have damage type X, so something is odd with that weapon.

That's because that is the stat line for the crossbow part of the weapon only. For the bolter half you are just supposed to use the normal boltgun stats in the main rulebook. The FAQ clarifies this.

So you get a Boltgun with a Condemnor attached, that seems really really good as a rare aquisition... alright I think i understand the ammo and stats part thanks for clearing that up

Yeah its strange that it is less rare than a plain boltgun. It may be that they intended for it's rarity to work like other combi weapons so the rarity under condemnor is just for completeness/to show it is not more rare than the boltgun for the purpose of calculating the overall rarity. Using the normal combi weapon rules it would then be extremely rare. Its still strange though since unlike other combi weapons, the crossbow half can't be purchased separately therefore it really doesn't need its own rarity.