WEATHERING With Pencils.......Dirt, Streaks, grime, Rust, Blaster Burns......UPDATED

By Barry Harker, in X-Wing Painting and Modification

That Outrider looks cool! Ironic, how it is described as all crome and shiny in the book, that would look so out of place!

It would seem to me like using carbon to replicate carbon scoring seems like a great idea.

Right? Carbon pencils to reproduce carbonized markings. You know an idea is genius when you think "Why didn't I think on that?!".

On 02/10/2015 at 1:06 AM, Hobojebus said:

I'm a decent painter when it comes to models but I know plenty who Arnt we all have a different skill cap.

Someone not confident with a brush will probably be much more confident with a pencil.

And That is one of the reasons I shared this idea, its an easy way for people to add a little bit of individuality

to there models, and easy to use and correct if you make a mistake....Erase and then do it again until your happy.

Also good for adding extra detail on a finished painted ship........

The Dirt streaks on my Scum YT2400 were all done with black coloured pencil.

JoaQDK.jpg

QZqSbP.jpg

So you can either just Add pencil weathering detail to your FFG Pre-Painted Ships.

or add that little extra to a fully painted model.

Either way, Nice and easy ;)

Edited by Barry Harker

That's awesome I have to try this on my falcon.

Cool idea! Never thought of that. I've sworn by Testors for years.

What are those ships you've got in this picture? The one on the left looks Renown-class, but my eyes aren't cooperating at this angle.

Kyrios Mirage

"What are those ships you've got in this picture? The one on the left looks Renown-class, but my eyes aren't cooperating at this angle."

Hello Kyrios,

Yes your eyes aren't deceiving you.

Its my 1/1800 Scratchbuilt HMS Repulse.

Built it to use nit the War At Sea Game............

41zRKQ.jpg

And Here is a Scratchbuilt HMS Renown with the War at Sea Miniature HMS Jamaica

gip5pE.jpg

And the funny thing is,

I use Pencils on these models as well to do all of the grime and rust streaks on the Hull's

Coloured Pencils are perfect for doing fine weathering on small models :D

Here I'm using pencils to shade in the Decks on my Scratchbuilt HMS Nelson.....

MUHI0b.jpg

The Important thing About weathering with pencils is to have a Sharpened Eraser " Rubber " to rub out any colouring that you don't like the look of.

FpkH8g.jpg

I sharpen the Eraser simply by cutting it to an angle with a knife.

That way you can get into tight areas as well.

daLLRv.jpg

I like using Pencils.

Its nice and easy and with a bit of patience. you can get a good effect with them.

All the best,

Barry. :)

Edited by Barry Harker

Nice work on those scratchbuilds!

Thanks Kryios.

Lots of fun with evergreen plastic !

All the best.

Barry.

mY6pXs.jpg

iE9OwB.jpg

Edited by Barry Harker

Graphite Pencils are great for adding fine panel details to large surface areas.

If you use an " F " Grade Pencil, it will stay sharper for longer as the graphite lead in the pencil is

of a more Harder grade.

f8wcJe.jpg

z6Uuk1.jpg

All the Best.

Barry :D

Edited by Barry Harker

These look amazing. And the spray keeps the pencils marks from smearing/smudging/coming off?

Yes thats right,

A spray mat lacquer keeps the pencil from smudging, i also use a gloss clear to paint the canopy's,

the shine helps with the glass effect,

I enjoy painting these models as much as anyone else, but the sometimes they can look to....."games workshop" :wacko:

and thats not Star Wars,

dirt and grime in the right place, thats all you need really, and pencils just make it easy.

wzDxKM.jpg

this is the Mat varnish, spray paint I use.............

G15aiq.jpg

All the best,

Barry.

Edited by Barry Harker

Gotta try this....

Wow this is an awesome but simple idea!

****TFA Spoiler****

(Scroll down really fast to avoid)

You should add a rectangular radar dish on your Falcon to make it look old and rusted like in TFA

****Spoiler Over****

Sorry for long post, just don't want anyone to get mad...

I am a painter myself, and when I read the thread title I dismissed the contents. Having gone through and had a look at the ships, I'm kicking myself.

I tried to use pencil on some 40k models awhile back and hadn't really given the idea much more than a few tries. I may just have to try this out. I am leery of varnishes though. I can't say I like the idea of sealing a model up with a chemical. I used to seal all my 40k figs until I decided to repaint a batch. That extra layer is really hard to get off, and I don't think X-Wing minis can be scrubbed vigorously in the same way a Space Marine can...

I really like this idea, but do you have any alternatives to the varnish to get the graphite to stick? I know that properly cured paint will not wear away, so that's not a problem, but what about the graphite? What if a guy used the pencil and then put a wash over top? Would that hold the pencil in place? I know that my own work fares well like this. I usually put up to 4 or 5 layers of wash on any given project, and this I feel, makes for a better finish. Could this same thought process be applied to your pencil technique?

I'm a decent painter when it comes to models but I know plenty who Arnt we all have a different skill cap.Someone not confident with a brush will probably be much more confident with a pencil.

And That is one of the reasons I shared this idea, its an easy way for people to add a little bit of individualityto there models, and easy to use and correct if you make a mistake....Erase and then do it again until your happy.Also good for adding extra detail on a finished painted ship........The Dirt streaks on my Scum YT2400 were all done with black coloured pencil. 24_zpsngaikfeh.jpg 23_zpsc7utdbb1.jpg So you can either just Add pencil weathering detail to your FFG Pre-Painted Ships.or add that little extra to a fully painted model.Either way, Nice and easy ;)

Where does one find scum cards for this awesome looking yt?

I am a painter myself, and when I read the thread title I dismissed the contents. Having gone through and had a look at the ships, I'm kicking myself.

I tried to use pencil on some 40k models awhile back and hadn't really given the idea much more than a few tries. I may just have to try this out. I am leery of varnishes though. I can't say I like the idea of sealing a model up with a chemical. I used to seal all my 40k figs until I decided to repaint a batch. That extra layer is really hard to get off, and I don't think X-Wing minis can be scrubbed vigorously in the same way a Space Marine can...

I really like this idea, but do you have any alternatives to the varnish to get the graphite to stick? I know that properly cured paint will not wear away, so that's not a problem, but what about the graphite? What if a guy used the pencil and then put a wash over top? Would that hold the pencil in place? I know that my own work fares well like this. I usually put up to 4 or 5 layers of wash on any given project, and this I feel, makes for a better finish. Could this same thought process be applied to your pencil technique?

Well.

you need a " Fixative" with the pencil, im not sure about the wash's. they may work.

However

when i spray over the models it is only a misting coat......spraypaint id very thin, thats why I spray all of my repaints.

you could also get it even thinner by using an airbrush, but the spray can paint is already thin.

when i do pastel drawings, i use a special fixative, but hairspray also works....not sure i would try that on an Xwing miniature though !

All the best,

Barry.

I'm a decent painter when it comes to models but I know plenty who Arnt we all have a different skill cap.Someone not confident with a brush will probably be much more confident with a pencil.

And That is one of the reasons I shared this idea, its an easy way for people to add a little bit of individualityto there models, and easy to use and correct if you make a mistake....Erase and then do it again until your happy.Also good for adding extra detail on a finished painted ship........The Dirt streaks on my Scum YT2400 were all done with black coloured pencil. 24_zpsngaikfeh.jpg 23_zpsc7utdbb1.jpg So you can either just Add pencil weathering detail to your FFG Pre-Painted Ships.or add that little extra to a fully painted model.Either way, Nice and easy ;)

Where does one find scum cards for this awesome looking yt?

Hi Awber.....you cant......its just a standard YT1300 With lots of added parts..........

Heres a few pics of the YT for you.....

s1BRdE.jpg

DuLkvo.jpg

wXsAjR.jpg

When i use this model in games, i use the simple YT Freighter Cards, after all they are smugglers, so basically :D scum

Im hoping the will bring Scum cards out for the YT Models.......you never know.

all the best,

Barry.

Edited by Barry Harker

I'm a terrible painter, so I will definitely try this method out! :D

Hey Arma.

The main Reason for sharing this method was for those

Of you that get frustrated with regards to painting.

Pencils makes things very easy.

And easy to put right if you make a mistake....just rub it off and start again.

Just keep your pencils very sharp, as these models are so small,

Its about keeping the shading and grimey detailing with in the scale of the model.

Most importantly though........enjoy it and have fun !

All the best,

Barry

Hey Tercero,

That looks great, you can make out the grimey streaks on the Falcons Panels.

which is something closer to the Studio model and not just another "Games Workshop style paint job"

I do like shading drybrushing and painting, just on some models it can look to much.

Well Done.

All the best,

Barry :D

The best way to achieve this result is....very easy.

firstly I spray the models after a good clean and scrub with dish washing detergent.

and then I spray the models with a MAT CLEAR VARNISH.

Here in the UK we have Humbrol Spray paints..........

Weathering%206_zpswpzykmsv.jpg

Weathering%207_zpsox0pknmb.jpg

This Spray paint and many others like it (TAMIYA also make some) is perfect for spraying the models before and after to protect your

coloured pencil work.

But you MUST MAKE SURE IT ISN'T COLD when you spray !

if it is to cold then the varnish will plume.....goes a misty white.

I warm my paint up sometimes in hot water first. to stop the temperature pluming the paint.

if it does happen, don't panic.

The Varnish is Transparent, so another warmer coat over the top of the coat that has plumed....gone white.

will bring it back.

You wash the model with detergent before you start and spray it too? I'm looking at starting this soon on my own ships and want to do things right!