Troubles with imbalanced gming

By SgtSmackface, in Dark Heresy Gamemasters

So my GM is actively encouraging power gaming and being insanely rich. We're levels 2-4 (he's exceedingly imbalanced with the exp rewarding, he doesn't reward a base amount if you show up to a session and doesn't even try to level the playing field, all exp rewarded is based off of mostly combat, etc ad nauseam) and all make atleast half a million thrones/month. However, the main issue is exp. He typically favors the two player characters that don't really have any morals, one has shamelessly exploited planets to gain resources, and found a couple of ancient forges in the process. Due to dealings (intent and accidental) with daemons of khorne, he is comprised almost entirely of archaeotech similar to what made Ferrus Manus' arms. Naturally, with the ancient forge worlds being tooled to produce titans and whatnot, and not to mention his body of archaeotech, going back into time and claiming he's the equivalent of a living saint to the mechanicum, who are inclined to believe him, he's basically the most powerful character. The other one is schizo and is basically khornate at this point. Meanwhile, the rest of us have been trying to keep it modest in hopes that the GM will see what's going on. Needless to say this isn't working. However, the main issue is the exp. Two players haven't been able to show up for three sessions, and I myself missed two. This means that I only have 1800 xp spent, the two players who missed three sessions have 1000 xp spent, and the two big guys have almost 3k spent.

Tl;dr the gm is coddling certain players and hamstringing the others. Please offer your opinions for my GM here. I'm going to show this to him in a last ditch effort to get him to change before I leave and try to find another game.

This isn't the way to change somebody's mind. If you aren't enjoying the game, talk to him like an adult about why. If you don't start enjoying the game more, than you probably should find a different GM that meshes a little better with what you want out of a game. Ambushing someone with a litany of complaints from the internet won't win you an argument, and it is certainly not going to get him to be more accommodating to what you are looking for in a game (which might be very different from what he or the other players in the group want).

Grab the decent half of the group and run your own game. GMing isn't hard. As you've shown in the OP, any idiot can do it.

The only reason I'm in this game is because I'm tired of GMing :/

So take turns. No one has to GM all the time. 'sides, if everyone has to GM, no one gets burnout and the temptation to act like a massive douchenozzle is suddenly far, far smaller.

Or if you can't beat em join em. Sure your player doesn't have many experience points but 1/2 a million creds a time buys a lot of mercenaries.

Edited by Visitor Q

he is comprised almost entirely of archaeotech similar to what made Ferrus Manus' arms

Ferrus Manus' hands (not arms) were not archeotech. From Lexicanum:

His battle against the Great Silver Wyrm Asirnoth , a metallic beast impervious to harm; Ferrus had to drown it in magma to kill it. The melted flesh of the wyrm fused to Ferrus's flesh, giving him the true metal hands his Legion would take its name from

Living metal sound familiar, by any chance?

Anyway, I'd say you should talk to your GM. Like, really. Point out that the game's not fun for you, and any problems you feel need to be addressed with the campaign/characters.

From what it sounds like, he's got no handle on power scaling, what kind of narrative level Dark Heresy is meant to run at, or on the 40k universe in general. Then again, it seems, neither does the player behind that ridiculous character with the "archeotech". Time travel is really rare, unreliable as ****, and very likely to end with you torn apart by daemons, for one.

They're Acolytes, low-level expendable grunts of the Inqusition. Any intentional dealings with daemons (and dealing with those of Khorne is a whole other barrel of stupid) would have gotten them executed for heresy, unless their Inquisitorial master is some kind of batshit radical, in which case they would be running from the Imperium at large and certainly not declaring themselves living saints of the Mechanicus.

Half a million thrones per month is absolutely ridiculous, especially at level 2-4. A suit of power armour is 15,000 thrones, and that's the kind of thing no Acolyte is ever really meant to afford.

Talk to your GM.

Also half a million thrones a month is probably enough to buy off a lot of the bad guys lol.

This is a Dark Heresy campaign, yes? Both of the "favored" characters are clearly heretics. Get together with the other two and arrange some of the Emperor's Mercy for them.

This is a Dark Heresy campaign, yes? Both of the "favored" characters are clearly heretics. Get together with the other two and arrange some of the Emperor's Mercy for them.

Don't try to bravely confront them yourself! This is the kind of situation where you two discreetly gather up allies and enter the treacherous currents of hgh-end Imperial politics - before the day when you get to see the shocked and horrified faces of the heretics who are violating the Emperor's Holy Laws as their retribution comes hurtling in - probably with Imperial Assassins, a Fleet action and ridiculous amounts of Imperial guard/Adeptus Astartes cleansing teams.

Remember - nobody expects the Imperial Inquisition!

Thanks for all the advice guys and sorry for getting back so late.

In short, here's what happened: I confronted the GM about his idiocy, cited tons of lore, and basically brought the house crashing down on him. His response was "It's cool" so I left, after buying a ton of mercs and whatnot and setting them on a crusade against the other acolytes. However, as they were affiliated with the Mechanicus (they had multiple millions/month at that point) it was pointless. I do report with pleasure that the game fell apart after I left as no one found it fun or interesting.