Evil Portents

By Coyote Walks, in Legend of the Five Rings: The Card Game

So a couple of things.

First, there is an update on the last of printed ccg cards. http://www.l5r.com/#evil-portents

Free. They are giving it away.... :blink:

Second. I will be finishing out the setlist on the Kobune Port tomorrow. Feel free to stop by, check it out, and chat about cards.

bowsymbol.png

Wow. That's a heck of a gesture.

Edit: Er...read that again. It sounds like they're making *some* product available for free, essentially as OP kits (or whatever stores and distributors wish to use them for).

It's not free to players. But that would be crazy, anyway.

Edited by BD Flory

Free to players at my FLGS (because the proprietor is a prince among men)... but yes, it's free to the retailers (a demographic AEG infuriated more than once on their long road to selling the IP), and, once they put it up on their website, the product is free but shipping isn't. Which, frankly, is fine by me.

I was thinkin about getting some for nostalgic reasons so this is even better.

Free to players at my FLGS (because the proprietor is a prince among men)... but yes, it's free to the retailers (a demographic AEG infuriated more than once on their long road to selling the IP), and, once they put it up on their website, the product is free but shipping isn't. Which, frankly, is fine by me.

So it is, yeah, that's pretty crazy. :)

It's a pretty good way to leave the ccg on a somewhat positive note. Just wish my local store actually ordered L5R on some kind of basis.

Might have some problems on the distributor side here.

The distributor has monopoly on MTG and has been known to do a lot of dubious stuff.

For L5R they give out the releases 4-8 weeks late, So we always have to order express from Potomac or other sites at a cost that we always have to pass to consumers/players.

For MTG they've done a lot of bad things that have hurt a lot of local stores, (the distributor also has had around 10+ retail shops of its own in major metropolitans and doesn't like competition ) ie not giving out price support or not giving it all, delaying delivery of releases or placing very stringent requirements of making us pay months in advance for the stuff, and being late on deliveries or giving alternate products, or forcing us to buy other stuff just to get the products we want.

They've been trying to kill a lot of the other card games as well like Yugioh which they don't have sole distributor ship. Atm our little place isn't near a port or airport and doesn't have the economy to handle sole distributorship. We've complained several times but all it has done has given us more sanctions from the distributor we complained about. ^,..,^

The distributor has a large hold as they own 10+ retail shops of their own and hold major tournaments. But they are killing the game in favor of MTG. The bias lies as MTG makes them more money and they have a solid grip on it.

This distributor recently has dropped Bushiroad products as well from their shelves as they couldn't get sole control of it and are labeling the company's games as inferior (informally of course as not to get lawsuits).

I want FFG to have a solution to such problems on getting the product to the customers who want them without too much hassle on such things such as shipping and customs tax that makes it harder to get people to play the game due to costs.

Meow !

On L5R, I fear they won't release any of the product or not release enough. After all, L5R takes a slice of the pie of their main product MTG.

Problem with the MTG community is all those cash prizes that make people blind to what other games are also fun to play.

note: this distributor is the sole distributor of FFG here in the country as well. Which is worrisome.

They are also the cause of a lot of card shops dying because of their stringent policies that are in favor of them.

Edited by mordae

This is going to be a disaster, imho. No store wants it, nor will they know what to do with it. L5r players who really want it and bought booster boxes regularly will be left in the cold.

I like the gesture, but think the implementation will be...dubious.

Well, you can always get it from AEG directly - they'll just give it to you for the cost of shipping.

The distributor has monopoly on MTG and has been known to do a lot of dubious stuff.

Out of curiousity, Canada?

I wonder how long AEG had been planning to present the license for FFG for purchase, whether there might have been some cunning behind the name of the final CCG set being Evil Portents. ;)

I wonder how long AEG had been planning to present the license for FFG for purchase, whether there might have been some cunning behind the name of the final CCG set being Evil Portents. ;)

according to the posts zinser made, it was the other way around. FFG approached AEG at Gencon, and it happened after that.

Cool that there was finally gonna be an oni theme. the gold scheme is just plain stupid. expensive oni! 3gp on the box! no gold support to speak of!

womp womp

have to imagine there was something coming in BS or Onyx to help there, but who knows. we may never see. haven't heard a peep about the pdfs of those sets. not feeling very optimistic.

I do like the Oni sensei. Reminds me of the old Shadowlands strongholds like the Spawning Grounds. Definitely a step in the right direction for me and my tastes. Bring back the Horde!

Edited by Toqtamish

Cool that there was finally gonna be an oni theme. the gold scheme is just plain stupid. expensive oni! 3gp on the box! no gold support to speak of!

womp womp

have to imagine there was something coming in BS or Onyx to help there, but who knows. we may never see. haven't heard a peep about the pdfs of those sets. not feeling very optimistic.

This helps somewhat

http://imperialassembly.com/oracle/#cardid=12436,#hashid=bf4c3f8d02bb04b2fcb3a00fd48b1dcf,#cardcount=12

Card Title
The Feeding Hills
Gold Cost
Keywords
Nonhuman • Oni • Shadowlands
Text
After this Holding enters play, lose 3 Honor. This Holding enters play for 1 less Gold for each Shadowlands Follower and Personality you control. After you bow this Holding, lose 1 Honor.

Open, w : Straighten your target Oni.

Flavor Text
"What a pleasant place to rest! I wonder where these stairs go… Oh Fortunes, no! Aaaaagh!"
Edited by Toqtamish

The 3 Gold structure runs extremly stable on Forgotten Legacy, Spirit's Essense Dojo and Suana Dojo.

The Feeding Hills are amazing since the Sensei can straighten this guy to for extra 3 Gold if needed.

Perhaps add Secluded Outpost to get the Follower on the Oni faster.

Also many of the Onis are not vastly expensive and you always have Myuken who can act as an Oni if needed.

On Lion, Crane and Phoenix he essentially blanks the box. However Lion would still be solid military box.

I guess the strongest Strongholds would be Dragon and Unicorn, since there ability stays useful and you don't fall to deep into the negative honor.

The only thing I am contemplating is if the Unicorn Box produces 4 Gold in the first run. The GP stat is capped on 3 but the trait does not care much for gold production.

Edited by Yandia

Double Post

Edited by Yandia

OK

The Kobune Port Setlist is done. Now back to working on fiction that you will hate....

Does anyone in the US know what AEG charges to ship a booster box? Not that I think about I think they only sell booster packs and starter decks.

Out of curiousity, Canada?

Nope. Have similar problems there?

Notthat I know of. I am a AEG vanguard and did more than a few demos for their productsz including board games and the CCG, and my local store dealt with more than one distributor. I can even recall a few times were my contact specifically changed distributor after a démo because of bad services.

It doesn't seem like a monopoly situation to me.

but yes, it's free to the retailers

Apparently not 'Free' in the 'Free' sense of the word. As in, you have to buy lots of other l5r product at not-at-all-discounted prices to get EP from a couple of them, which means I guess some distributors really want to be stuck with unsellable EP in a month and a week.

but yes, it's free to the retailers

Apparently not 'Free' in the 'Free' sense of the word. As in, you have to buy lots of other l5r product at not-at-all-discounted prices to get EP from a couple of them, which means I guess some distributors really want to be stuck with unsellable EP in a month and a week.

AEG screwing retailers?! I can't imagine such a thing! </sarcasm>

Its the distributors trying to move excess stock, apparently. Our stores here use 4 different ones and have all been told different things, from "not a problem to add it to your shipment" to "1 box of EP per 1 box of other L5R product ordered". .

Its the distributors trying to move excess stock, apparently. Our stores here use 4 different ones and have all been told different things, from "not a problem to add it to your shipment" to "1 box of EP per 1 box of other L5R product ordered". .

do they have boxes of diamond or gold? i wouldn't mind some of that...