Tokens

By Skizzik, in Android: Netrunner The Card Game

Does anyone find that the amount of tokens given is inadequate? I would like to get a bit more serious with this game and I have a chance to pick up more tokens. I was wondering how much of each token seems to be enough...

Hope this makes sense and thanks for your time.

What are you running out of?

Huge fan of the ANR pennygems. They aren't cheap at all, but I really enjoy them

Using the core set tokens, I only ran out in very exceptional circumstances (like managing to stick 60+ tags on someone because he just DIDN'T CARE ANY MORE).

Since upgrading to Data Tokens I often run out of Virus/Power tokens, but that's simply because I didn't buy enough extras.

What are you running out of?

Nothing yet. I plan dumping a few hundred dollars on all the expansions and packs and was curious if there was a deck style that stressed the amount of tokens given.

I have a chance to purchase some acrylic tokens from Litko and other 3rd party manufacturers for cheap. Since nobody likes wasting money I decided to ask the forum warriors if there were some tokens they'd pick up to supplement the amount of tokens given. For instance virus tokens, the default amount sufficient or if I made a virus deck that abused the Hell out of them... should I pick up more?

Thanks to those who answered.

If you are getting "a bit more serious with the game" in the sense that you would like to build decks for tournaments, then another Core Set is pretty much a given. That will obviously double the amount of tokens you have. That being said, I can't really think of a situation outside of a massive tag storm in which the amount of tokens in a single core set is inadequate, especially because people seem to bring their own tokens to tournaments (you only need tokens for one player, not two).

If you are getting "a bit more serious with the game" in the sense that you would like some custom tokens, playmats, etc. then I'll leave that to others to answer.

Edited by Sabin76

Oh, I misunderstood your question!

For credit tracking, I quite like Team Covenant's Data Tokens, and for tag/virus/power/etc. tokens I quite like Broken Egg's designs.

So, that said, a number of people (myself among them) have very strong opinions about token choices for credit tracking. Almost nobody will fault you for using the various options that come in denominations of $1 and $5. But every token series has its detractors--a number of people strongly dislike the Broken Egg Credit sticks, or the Minion Games' metal tokens, and I myself have a strong dislike of using dice for credits.

At the end of the day, what credits you use are much less important than how you handle them. Any credit brand is useless when they're piled up on your ID card at the back of the play area, so just get in the habit of keeping them organized and clearly visible!

I use a click/credit tracker app that can also track tags brain damage and bad pub. However i still need tokens to track credits on cards, advancement tokens power and virus counters.

I plan on getting some metal strips for credits and acrylics for other things. Pennygems look amazing as well for memory tracking and such. . .