Descent WART Tileset v1.1 "Quest Editor"

By avianfoo, in Descent Home Brews

Descent WART Tileset v1.1 can be found here

It is what you have been waiting for: A tileset for TileSystem which includes Well of Darkness, Altar of Despair, Road to Legend and Tomb of Ice expansions. This is a great tool to make new quests (at least the map portion) for Descent JitD.

Since its too big (15MB) to fit on the BGG forums in a single file, I have split it up into 4 parts. Each can be unzipped separately.

TileSystem is available for download here .
Ideally I would like the descent tileset to look as good as the doom tileset (simply wow)... but I am just not that good.

This continues the good work of rogerfcw. Your tileset has gone far.

Many thanks to Chris Brown (Acolyte Rivan) for (previously) hosting the scans. They were a great help.

If there are any missing pieces/errors/suggestions, post 'em.

Side Note: The first letter of each expansion (ignoring "the"), in order of release, spells...WART, and when Sea of Blood (SoB) comes out, it will be WARTS.

I downloaded your new tiles ... wicked. I then tried adding them to the tiles file in the new quest editor in the Program Files folder. Hmmm problem they don't seem to show up as available in the editor. Do I have to load them into the file extacted from the original editor download and then re-install the whole thing to get access to them - or am I missing something? Thanks for any help you can give me.

Did you try File -> Change Tileset?

None of this worked for me either. I downloaded it all, but the Tileset editor wouldn't recognize anything. Boo.

Has it been updated since it was last put on the forums?

Also, have the FFG staff approved this now?

v1.1 has minor changes from v1.0 like some of the .set files were straightened out and it was made FFG legal :)

Installing it is quite simple: unzip the zips into the TileSystem directory and in TileSystem the new tileset (File->Change tileset).

Though the pics and most of the .set files (except the descent_WART.set file) should be in a directory named "descent_WART" inside the TileSystem directory. Some unzippers do not unzip the directory structure. When unzipping you *must* maintain the directory structure or it will not work.

Thanks for the advice guys - I'll give a go, IT is not my strong suit...lol...fingers crossed

That certainly helped sort out a couple of things. I guess my next question is about whether you can add Doom tiles to a Descent map (I'm making my own version of "Expedition to the Barrier Peaks", combining both games).

Seems like all you'd have to do is paste some lines from the doom tileset files into the descent tileset files.

I did quite a bit of noodling under the hood, and finally got all the tilesets to finally show up on one interface...

but... The maps tiles don't match. The Descent tiles don't have the connector portion of the actual tiles in the graphic, and the doom tiles do, and they don't really line up very well. I couldn't leave well enough alone though, so I fiddled with the Doom tiles a little so I could at least connect things.

It isn't the most beautiful construction, but I think it will suffice for what I have in mind:

Descent and Doom combined

Descent allows room tiles to be placed next to each other... the connector bit on the Doom tiles gets in the way of that, but otherwise it should work.

Due to the funny shape of some of the Descent scans, some of the descent tiles won't line up 100%. I did use the Doom tiles as a base for positioning the descent tiles where I could. But sometimes it was just not possible.

Arrgggghhhh....I'm still failing miserably to get the new tile set working.... You kindly suggested trying "File=> Cahnge tileset"...well on my tileset programme when I look under File there is no option to "Change Tileset" Is there something I am completely missing here?

Um...did you follow this link from the first post and download TileSystem? You're not trying to use these tiles with Mike Z's DescentEdit or anything weird like that?

I just re-downloaded and extracted it to make sure it's not a new version with a completely different menu set or something, and the menu still seems to be there (though it also seems to auto-detect preferences from my previous use, so it's probably finding some of my previous data hidden in the registry or user data directories or something that could conceivably have some impact).

I'll keep trying.........perhaps I'll everything and start over again......thanks for the advice....

The Warp said:

I did quite a bit of noodling under the hood, and finally got all the tilesets to finally show up on one interface...

but... The maps tiles don't match. The Descent tiles don't have the connector portion of the actual tiles in the graphic, and the doom tiles do, and they don't really line up very well. I couldn't leave well enough alone though, so I fiddled with the Doom tiles a little so I could at least connect things.

It isn't the most beautiful construction, but I think it will suffice for what I have in mind:

Descent and Doom combined

All right, The Warp, what are you brewing over there? I am *very* curious now to see how you're mixing Doom and Descent! :)

-shnar

Nevermind, I found a couple pics in your BGG gallery :)

pic610528_md.jpg

and

pic610529_md.jpg

Mixing Doom and Descent sounds like a find idea to me! I'd love to see the whole set of missions. I couldn't find anything on the Doom BGG Files section, where do you have this gem stored?

-shnar

i have it working now but one problem. when i start it up i have the floor tiles loaded and if i use some to make a new campaign i cant switch to another tile because it misses the tiles that i used.