Deep Realms - Can you 'press on' if there are cards in your space?

By alphasquid, in Talisman Rules Questions

I was in the space before the Rat Queen's lair and I was encountering the last of my Tunnel cards, which was a Dracolich. I cast Summon Phoenix to fight him. The Phoenix lost, which immediately ends my turn and the Dracolich stays on the space.

On my next turn, there were no cards left in my Tunnel card stack. Can I 'Press On' to the Rat Queen's lair without fighting the Dracolich again?

(Side note, when you put Tunnel cards in front of you in a stack, are they face up or face down?)

Keep in mind if you fail a Tunnel Card, you keep it faceup on your tunnel stack for you to encounter the next time you press on. I think your mistake was putting the Dracolich on your space.

There is a paragraph about Adventure Cards, but it refers to cards already on your space, such as dropped Objects. This is important, because if a character dies on this space, he will drop loot for the next person to find! These rules ensure players survive the tunnels before they grab loot. "A character cannot encounter Adventure Cards on the Old Sewers or Catacombs if he has cards remaining in his stack. After a character removes the last card from his stack, he encounters all the Adventure Cards on his space before ending his turn." So...

1. Land on the Old Sewers or Catacombs, create facedown a tunnel stack. Ignore any Adventure Cards on the space (e.g. dropped Objects).

2. Each turn, encounter the top card of the tunnel stack if you "press on," leaving failed tunnel cards faceup on the stack.

3. On the same turn when you successfully encounter the last card of your tunnel stack, then encounter all Adventure Cards on your space (e.g. take dropped Objects).

4. On the next turn, if you "press on," move to the Throne Room or Rat's Queen's Lair. Yes, you can "press on" if for some reason there are Adventure Cards on your space, such as an Object you not take, just not Tunnel Cards in your stack.

Edited by Artaterxes

Artaterxes summed up everything nicely. Nothing to add to his explanation.

Only a note: you can't use Summon Phoenix against the Dracolich. It's a psychic combat (combat with Craft) and the Phoenix can only be used before you engage in battle (combat with Strength).

Artaterxes summed up everything nicely. Nothing to add to his explanation.

Only a note: you can't use Summon Phoenix against the Dracolich. It's a psychic combat (combat with Craft) and the Phoenix can only be used before you engage in battle (combat with Strength).

Thanks for the heads up! I think for some reason I just didn't read the card and thought the Phoenix was for Craft instead of Strength. Looks like I misplayed twice!