Do an skills or talents affect the Acquisition Modifier?

By Nojo509, in Rogue Trader Rules Questions

Do an skills or talents affect the Acquisitions Modifier? I think not, but just checking.

Yes generally a commerce will modify it. It's in some ways the most important skill in the game for the group as a whole. You can use other rolls. For example if you are aquiring a bunch mercs. You might use carouse to represent hitting the local bars for talent. A tech priest might use a lore skill to know the right rituals to convince the local tech priest that the ship was worthy of an upgrade. See the section on Acquisition for details.

Thanks, I'll re-read. While it makes sense, it opens up a galaxy of munchkinsims.

Dalnor Surloc said:

Yes generally a commerce will modify it. It's in some ways the most important skill in the game for the group as a whole. You can use other rolls. For example if you are aquiring a bunch mercs. You might use carouse to represent hitting the local bars for talent. A tech priest might use a lore skill to know the right rituals to convince the local tech priest that the ship was worthy of an upgrade. See the section on Acquisition for details.

Actually, I think you are mistaken. You can make a Commerce check (opposed with Commerce/Scrutiny) to attempt to raise your Profit when making a purchase. (succeed, raise it by 2 points, opponent beats you lose 2 points). It does not modify the Acquisition Test/roll itself. The GM can also allow the use of Command, Charm, or Barter instead of Commerce should the situation warrant. None affect the acquisition roll, though.

However, the GM may assign additional modifiers to an Acquisition roll, from -30 to +30, based upon how fair a price the seller is giving (pg 272, box labeled with "Unscrupulous Traders"). So, if it's stolen goods from the black market and in high demand, the GM could impose a -20 or -30. If the goods are from a trusted friend or contact, or the seller is trying to dump the goods quickly, he could give a +10 or +20 to represent more favorable prices.