Why do I love Lasguns? Because of this...

By Sebastian Yorke, in Only War

So, the group for which I am a Sergeant did let me setup the regiment for them. I tried not to go with anything too much out of the ordinary in order to give them a good understanding of the setting first in a "standard Guardsman's boots". We are Cadian shock, but rolled with Line Infantry instead of Armoured Fist - again, to simplify it.

We got good-quality armour, respirators, microbeads, etc... But most importantly: upgrades for the Lasgun.

But most importantly:

Targeter (+10 on all penalities for aiming), Laser Sight (+10 single shot), Deadeye shot (+10 for called shots), underslug grenade launcher.

My Sarge also got "Get Them" and a high fellowship bonus.
And then... Overload setting.

Which means:
Single head-shots + half-turn aim at +20

Standard attack + half-turn aim at +30

Semi-auto head-shots+ half-turn aim at: +0

Semi-auto + half-turn aim at: +20

1d10+8 + 2 pen (x4 or x3 I dont recall which the ROF is)

Besides putting Kraks in the underslug launcher, which is in our plans - do you have any suggestions on how to maximize and best use our lasguns?

Check out the "Pattern creation" part of Hammer of the Emperor (I think it was this one), and you can make it even more OP with a strange pattern.

You realise that Called Shots negate any bonuses that would be gained for single shot, yes? Targeter also only reduces penalties by 10. That's a crucial wording to bear in mind. If you're already at a net positive, the targeter has literally no effect.

Deadeye Shot is not an upgrade, it's a Talent. I'm not sure if that was a misinterpretation on my part.

With Get Them! and Overload, you're looking at d10 + 9 pen 2, or d10 + 8. Both chew through ammo at different rates.

I would recommend taking a Merovech Pattern Assault Lasgun (See Rogue Trader if available to you). Has a full auto rate of fire for when you need to suppress, or something big just really needs to die by concentrated fire.

Keep in mind Called Shot is a full action, so you can't half action Aim or get bonuses for range or rate of fire with the action either. If you are referring to the targeter item, somebody else has to use it for a full turn to give you a benefit. Grenade launchers are nice but just increase the range at which you can throw grenades - which may or may not be useful.

As for increasing your lethality with the lasgun, I would recommend checking out lasgun specific talents in the Core as well as Hammer of the Emperor.

Isn't Targeter also a sight? If yes one rifle cannot have Targeter and Laser Sight at one moment.

Isn't Targeter also a sight? If yes one rifle cannot have Targeter and Laser Sight at one moment.

Still an incredibly silly rule.

PS: what about iron sights ? :P

Their purposes are different, so both as a GM and as a Player I don't see why these 2 can't interface with each other.

A better (housse)rule would be that a character cannot use two sights at the same time.

But I think this is actually a "legacy flaw" from GW's own d100 game, as I remember the "only one sight per gun" was already a thing there.

Edited by Lynata

As always it's MG's decision to play according to RAW or not. I think that given appropriate logistics rating, players can achieve sights that combine bonuses.

I thought he was referring to the handheld targeter, not the gun sight, so my info is off. Someone can give you a bonus with the handheld targeter while you use a laser sight, though.

So a player can combine the bonuses from two scopes - a telescopic sight and a targeter - thanks to someone else looking through theirs, but it's impossible to affix let alone use a telescopic sight and a red dot sight, because for some reason your lasgun can fit underslung grenade launchers (which are totally a thing in 40k) but no laser pointers.

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Yay for WH40KRPG!

There's the Targeter weapon upgrade and then there's the Hand-Held Targeter which is used to assist weapons with the Indirect quality by the use of a half-action on the wielder's part.

I don't understand which part of that is hard to understand. One's for improving the accuracy of a longarm, the other's for guiding artillery/air strikes because it's like the laser designator used by modern military.

RTFM, please.

To be fair, it is somewhat understandable to misremember this when these items are so similar in name and the Ratling Sniper's Spotter comrade already serves as a precedent for "aim assists".

And technically , the mortar is a Heavy weapon, and thus qualifies for equipping a gun-mounted Targeter ... :D

Glad to hear it's not quite as bad as it was made to sound, though. Even if it doesn't change anything about the sight limitation silliness.

Lasgun Volley, Lasgun Barrage, Lasgun Mastery, Mighty Shot, Crack Shot, Blind Fighting, Ambush

What do you call a Lasgun with a laser sight? Twin linked.

But seriously, my players were confused about me giving the sniper a Long Las instead of a regular sniper rifle. That Felling (4) is a God-Emperorsend. Especially against Orks.

Yeah and add overcharged packs to that and you get a monsterweapon