Design articles.

By Sashmiel, in Legend of the Five Rings: The Card Game

I wouldn't expect to see much till maybe GenCon 2016. It is gonna take time for them to even decide where to go with the game let alone begin design and playtesting.

True, and I not expecting anything till they start heading to the printers. But the article hopefully sheds some light on what we can expect. Which looks like good things.

I flip between the Ned and Jaime spectrum. I am faction loyal, but when I am, I'll field that most competitive deck that I can come up with, sometimes making sacrifices along the way.

So what are the L5R names for these:

Shoju -> Ned

Toturi -> Jaime

Yokuni -> Shagga?

Tongue in cheek somewhat, but I wonder if they'll try to make L5R flavored versions of the player types. Wasn't there an L5R version of Timmy, Spike, and Johnny?

The GoT version manages to touch on storyline where the original didn't.

I flip between the Ned and Jaime spectrum. I am faction loyal, but when I am, I'll field that most competitive deck that I can come up with, sometimes making sacrifices along the way.

So what are the L5R names for these:

Shoju -> Ned

Toturi -> Jaime

Yokuni -> Shagga?

Tongue in cheek somewhat, but I wonder if they'll try to make L5R flavored versions of the player types. Wasn't there an L5R version of Timmy, Spike, and Johnny?

The GoT version manages to touch on storyline where the original didn't.

There probably are numerous characters that can illustrate the archetypes but I suspect if FFG uses names they are more likely to use newer ones from AEG or names that will be important for the LCG.

Suppose that very generalized and important, distant lore characters could work too:

Hantei -> Shagga

Shinsei -> Ned

Fu Leng -> Jaime

Would suggest that the Jaime analogue be a Crane duelist. The Crane are basically half of House Lannister anyway, with the other half being Scorpion.

I do agree on Sean Bean as Shoju for some reason.

Would suggest that the Jaime analogue be a Crane duelist. The Crane are basically half of House Lannister anyway, with the other half being Scorpion.

As a Crane player myself, I can tell you that there are Crane players who are very Neddy. I mean who do not touch anything tained. I remember how hard pressed I felt back in the days to put Determination in my duel decks to make sure my duels land. So, I wouldn't say those player archetypes are really that much about a clan, keep it like they did with the GoT here and pick one character that examplifies a playstyle, but don't create the idea that all players of a certain clan are the same way. Just like Jamie, Cersei and Tyrion are all very different Lannister.

So Carb would be house Stark? We have a wall and keep the bad stuff out.

Carbs are bad sometimes. I'm fat.

As a Crane player myself, I can tell you that there are Crane players who are very Neddy. I mean who do not touch anything tained. I remember how hard pressed I felt back in the days to put Determination in my duel decks to make sure my duels land. So, I wouldn't say those player archetypes are really that much about a clan, keep it like they did with the GoT here and pick one character that examplifies a playstyle, but don't create the idea that all players of a certain clan are the same way. Just like Jamie, Cersei and Tyrion are all very different Lannister.
specific

Fluff/Novelty/Crunch.

Not sure a I feel a need for cutesy character-name labels for the basic breakdown...