Open Beta Petition

By Kubernes, in Legend of the Five Rings: The Card Game

For those who did not know, FFG put out a beta for their Star Wars: Age of Rebellion. I believe that some sort of beta would help ease the transition from the CCG to the LCG, but also enable FFG to receive a huge amount of feedback on the product prior to the final release. A beta would also certainly help with the two year wait time and could generate a huge amount of buzz and excitement.

Much like Age of Rebellion, I'd even pay money for the beta. Provided there some sort of physical product.

I'm down with that.

I've never seen FFG do open betas with annything except RPGs. Not that they haven't or wouldn't, necessarily, just that I haven't seen it. I'm inclined to say it's highly unlikely, but there's no harm in hoping.

I would imagine the production costs of an open beta are very different between LCGs and RPGs.

Please god no. If lotus taught us anything its that the L5R playerbase is too vested in their personal clans to be counted on to fairly judge and playtest a game with story prizes on the line. In house playtesting only, we don't need more "ToE mantis is completely underpowered and needs buffs" cluttering the design board.

I am not sure if an open beta for the new LCG is warranted or needed. If it went into open beta the older L5R community will attempt to re create the old game. Which is not what FFG is after. They want their own game with this new IP. I know that We as a community want instant gratification, and a new hand in creating this new product. However this could be a bad thing. The phrase "Too many cooks in the kitchen" applies here. Look I understand the loss of our beloved game but we have to give FFG time to design and produce the Alpha first and let their team of PT people whip it into shape. I have looked at and seen a few of their products and I have talked to people who play their products consistently. They do not make bad games. Let them just this once put their ideas forth. If it is nothing like the feel of what we know, then I can see an outcry for change. But as some of the others here the L5R community has way too much vested in their clans in order to be impartial to create an excellent product. Leave this one in their house and let us just see the Dev blogs on how this game is going to be put together.

Please god no. If lotus taught us anything its that the L5R playerbase is too vested in their personal clans to be counted on to fairly judge and playtest a game with story prizes on the line. In house playtesting only, we don't need more "ToE mantis is completely underpowered and needs buffs" cluttering the design board.

This.

Although I wouldn't object to an open beta for an RPG, on the assumption that it's after the LCG drops. I'd like for the LCG to be developed behind closed doors (aside from normal NDA'd playtesting), including theme and setting elements.

Once there's something concrete in place, then the RPG can go open beta without every little setting decision being questioned, because it's already part of the LCG. Or at least, not as much. :P

Edited by BD Flory

I would just want to see the cards at an early time like sometime during 2016 so we can see what is going on. I would like to beta test, but I am also just cool with previews.

For the RPG yes please. For the LCG stick with selected play tester.

Edited by Yandia

I think I also would stick with selected playtesters for the LCG and would also would like to do it myself as long as the play testers get a better treatment than they got from AEG where actually nothing they sugested ever got heard at least that was my expirience.

For the RPG I think a open playtesting beta would be great. The reason is I saw how great it was received and implemented by DnD and the game definiatly got better with it. Only thing I would wish for in addtion is that all the testing mateiral be it LCG or RPG should be free for the testers so that nobody had to pay for it.

I would just want to see the cards at an early time like sometime during 2016 so we can see what is going on. I would like to beta test, but I am also just cool with previews.

Considering they love doing design articles, I can safely assume we will not be in the dark.

Having playtested for two of the LCGs one of them from the ground up I can safely say don't expect this to happen for the LCG. RPG is a different story.

Considering they love doing design articles, I can safely assume we will not be in the dark.

If they do plenty of these at enough intervals, then I think most people would be happy. I just hope that there isn't a year or longer period of absolutely nothing. Even if information and design choices change throughout the period too.