Imp + Cursed by a Hag

By TrogdorUltra, in Talisman Rules Questions

If you land on a draw 2 cards space, first draw the Imp, then Cursed by a Hag, since they both have encounter 1, what happens? Player teleported by the Imp while the Hag remains on the space where the player originally drew 2 cards?

If you drew the Hag first would FAQ's "Events before Followers" order override the normal "both cards have encounter number of 1 so work them in the order drawn"?

Thanks,

Trogdor.

Edited by TrogdorUltra

Hello Trogdor, welcome to the Forum

If you land on a draw 2 cards space, first draw the Imp, then Cursed by a Hag, since they both have encounter 1, what happens? Player teleported by the Imp while the Hag remains on the space where the player originally drew 2 cards?

If you drew the Hag first would FAQ's "Events before Followers" order override the normal "both cards have encounter number of 1 so work them in the order drawn"?

Thanks,

Trogdor.

You seem to already know what's written in the Rulebook, page 7:

Adventure Cards must be dealt with in the order determined
by their encounter number (the number at the bottom right
corner of the card).

The lowest number is tackled first, then the next lowest, and
so on. In the case of a tie, the character encounters Adventure
Cards in the order they were drawn.

So this is what happens. The Encounter Sequence given with the FAQ was meant to clarify some unclear situations, e.g. Enemies with Encounter Number 1, cards without EN. It completely forgot that Followers with EN 1 were first introduced with Talisman Revised 4th Edition base set and they had to be covered here as well.

Hello Trogdor, welcome to the Forum

Thanks,

Trogdor.

You seem to already know what's written in the Rulebook, page 7:

Adventure Cards must be dealt with in the order determined

by their encounter number (the number at the bottom right

corner of the card).

The lowest number is tackled first, then the next lowest, and

so on. In the case of a tie, the character encounters Adventure

Cards in the order they were drawn.

So this is what happens. The Encounter Sequence given with the FAQ was meant to clarify some unclear situations, e.g. Enemies with Encounter Number 1, cards without EN. It completely forgot that Followers with EN 1 were first introduced with Talisman Revised 4th Edition base set and they had to be covered here as well.

Thanks, Warlock.

I assume that also means that, in the case of my first example, when the character is teleported by the Imp, that the Hag remains in the original space waiting for the next unfortunate character to land there.

I agree with Warlock. If multiple cards have the same encounter number, you encounter the cards in the order drawn. If you drew the Imp first, you would encounter the Imp first, and leave the Hag on the space after being teleported.

But I am going to take a sidetrack and propose some more complex situations.

It gets confusing when there are multiple cards already on the space with the same encounter number. For example, if you land on a space with both the Healer and Witch (both Encounter #4), you would actually have to remember which card was drawn first, however far back in the game that was (practically, nobody keeps track of that except the Digital Edition).

It gets even more confusing when you draw, say, Cerberus (#1, choose battle or psychic combat), Imp (#1, Event), and Eastern Dragon (#1, forced to fight in psychic combat). Say you choose to fight Cerberus in psychic combat. What the heck order do you encounter these cards? Especially if some got revived from the discard pile, etc.

I anticipate that because keeping track of draw order is not feasible, this might be addressed in a FAQ.

I agree with Warlock. If multiple cards have the same encounter number, you encounter the cards in the order drawn. If you drew the Imp first, you would encounter the Imp first, and leave the Hag on the space after being teleported.

But I am going to take a sidetrack and propose some more complex situations.

It gets confusing when there are multiple cards already on the space with the same encounter number. For example, if you land on a space with both the Healer and Witch (both Encounter #4), you would actually have to remember which card was drawn first, however far back in the game that was (practically, nobody keeps track of that except the Digital Edition).

It gets even more confusing when you draw, say, Cerberus (#1, choose battle or psychic combat), Imp (#1, Event), and Eastern Dragon (#1, forced to fight in psychic combat). Say you choose to fight Cerberus in psychic combat. What the heck order do you encounter these cards? Especially if some got revived from the discard pile, etc.

I anticipate that because keeping track of draw order is not feasible, this might be addressed in a FAQ.

For this reason, we always just play that cards of the same number have the order of encounter chosen by the player who lands/draws them. It really simplifies things and adds a little element of strategy some times.

Obviously this is a house rule, so take it as you will.

I have always played cautiously enough that, when leaving multiple cards with identical ENs on a space for the first time, they are "collated" to indicate the ORIGINAL order drawn. The topmost should be the first encounterable, etc.

You collate face-up cards on spaces where drawn? That sounds great... for cards that have been drawn, but never taken.

How do you recommend handling a pile of face-up Object, Follower, etc. cards left on a space when a character dies or is turned into a toad?

We usually will do what was noted above. If there are a pile of cards on any given space (other than dropped items from a slain character), our group will try its best to stack the cards according to their draw history. But as the game draws on it can become tedious, especially with libations flowing

By the letter of the rulebook you would encounter them in the order originally drawn. Thus if you landed on some dead players stash, and capped out on your item carrying capacity while looting items yet the last item they got was a bag of carrying, you wouldn't be able to take the bag of carrying first and then fill it with items. Of course this is ridiculous and unless you are Rainman it would be virtually impossible to get the correct order, but the rule is useful when encountering multiple events etc.

Its good to organise the cards in that order when placing them on the space. One just above the other so players can see whats there. If worse case at least they can pick them up. I admit the whole "when drawn" is very hard to work out manny turns after the cards where drawn themseleves. It would be better if players placed them in a order or even choose the order themselves.

The rule is stupid, plain and simple.

Relic says "encounter cards with the same number in any order you wish" and it works just fine. That's what I do in my games.

When drawn we encounter them in order but when they're on the space the player chooses the order. We never bother to keep track for later turns.