Optimal # of Investigators?

By any2cards, in Mansions of Madness

I just picked up this game. Note that all of the players involved are very experienced gamers. We also have extensive experience playing FFG games in general. Many FFG games tend to have an optimal number of players for overall game experience.

For example, Descent 1e and 2e tend to play best when you use 4 heroes ... i.e. it tends to provide the most balance in the game.

While I recognize that each "story" is different in MOM, I am wondering if this game also has an optimal # of investigators, and what that number is?

I found a BGG entry on this from 2011, but it only had a total of 12-13 votes, and not very many comments explaining. They tended to say 3-4 investigators.

So, do any of you experienced in this game, have any recommendations? Thanks in advance for your input.

I'd say 3–4. Two is challenging and one is almost always unplayable.

I'd say 3–4. Two is challenging and one is almost always unplayable.

I appreciate the feedback. We were leaning towards 3-4, and would probably prefer 4. With most games that have any amount of strategic element to them, we have found the more players tends to make a more immersive, better game.

The Keeper can adjust the level of difficulty based on the decisions they make as they control the "Madness" of the game. If you play with very experienced investigators, you can ramp things up, and make it quite challenging for 4 investigators. If you have non-experienced investigators but an experienced keeper, you could actually run 5 investigators and the game will still be balanced. A lot of it depends on how the Keeper makes decisions and such. If the Keeper is inexperienced, two experienced investigators could be highly successful. Guess I am saying that the level of experience of the investigators and keeper dictate how "optimal" each game is.

We've had about an equal number of wins for the keeper and investigators when playing with 4 investigators. A lot depends on the keeper, because it can be difficult keeping up with all the keeper things if you aren't used to being keeper.