Starting Characters Aquisition

By cetiken, in Rogue Trader Rules Questions

So i found that starting characters get a free aqusition with a final value of +0. Does this include the likely prospect of it being a negligable quantity (+30 bouns)? This would let me buy that gun tricked out just the way I want or could allow access to some rare amo right of the bat. Kina a lame bonus if it dosn't really.

That seems to be a valid view, but I'd talk to your GM....

Yes, you get the +30 if you are buying a single item for yourself, thus allowing for better qualtity/rarity of it.

But I am the DM...

Give the players whatever suits your game. You want it to be role-playing, not Monty Hall, so it is best for the players to have whatever they need within reason, and not worried about their underwear at the expense of play.

A ship with a Munitorium is bound to have everything. Its when you start getting into heirloom weapons, super unique items, is when it becomes problematic. Thats how I use it anyways. Others will differ, but I prefer the players be challenged by horrors and dangers, not weak and crappy equipment.

I have no idea what that +0 means, or what it's intended to mean.

It does not use the word final. So it could be modified as normal, as dvang suggests. If so, what is the point of mentioning it. "Please add a +0% to all rolls from now on!" cool.gif

If you do take the +0 to be the final modifier, then there is no penalty for going for five best quality near unique items with all the trimmings. I think I'll get roll to see if I get a cruiser with all possible archeotech components. It's either that or a new pair of shoes...

It's pretty clear from context that it's an automatic aquisition that has net modifer of 0. Thus a cruiseror any ship componet wouldn't count as they don't get modifiers for quanity, you can get only one per roll, and have modifiers.

Personally if I was running a standard RT I'd simply ask the PCs to hand me a list of things they wanted at the start of the game. Anything reasonable like a best quality monosword or a few krak grenades I'd just put a check by. Anything complete unreasonable would get line through it, and they'd need to work to gain access to it. Any thing that was on the edge I'd put a 0 by, and we'd roll for it. Other wise my players would spend 3 hours the 1st night on aquisition rolls, and an hour every time they made port. Of course my PCs are going to start out poor by RT standards without a ship or charter.....

Also I plan on letting them make reasonable aquisition roll on ship one level of rarity up. It's big ship if you just want a couple frag grenades, a photo visor, body glove and a rebreather it's in ships stores, cargo or some one has one they will give up. Hell for the above stuff a failed roll would only result in a poor quality item.

The final modifier must be +0% (or I would assume it could also be better).

Let's look at standard acquisition modifiers. What modifies acquisition?

1) Availability

2) Craftsmanship

3) Scale

If you look at the table on page 272 (Table 9-35) it is all laid out for you easy as pie. The best you could get in bonuses is +40, if what you are trying to get is Poor Quality (+10) and a single item (+30). So, as far as availability, the rarest item you could get is Extremely Rare (-30). Near Unique is a -50, so you would end up with an illegal -10 final acquisition modifier.

So, yes, with your initial acquisition you can buy a single Extremely Rare weapon or piece of equipment at common quality. Or, if you wanted a Best quality weapon (-30) you could only get a single one (+30) with an availability of Scarce (+0). A single (+30) Good Quality (-20) with availability of Rare (-10) = +0. Or, equip a platoon (+10) with common (+0) Rare (-10) equipment = +0. And so on.

Basically, all 3 modifiers must total to +0 (or, I would assume it would also normally be ok if the total mod was +X as those are cheaper items).

(also note that ammo, drugs, and grenades and other disposable items are considered in limitless/steady supply once purchased)

Starship Components

Now, for Starship components you have the same modifiers, but some use different tables.

Use pg 207 (Table 8-8) to see availability of components.

Use pg 274 (Table 9-36) for scale of components.

Craftsmanship is the same (poor +10, common +0, good -10, best -30).

So, note that the ONLY way to get a positive modifier for components is to take a poor quality component, as the best availability of any component is Scarce (+0) and scale is Structure (+0).

Take these together, (assuming common quality +0) and you can get:

A supplemental component costing 1 SP, or an Essential Component (with no +SP cost) ... (Scarce, +0)

that is also ...

a Structure component (holds, observatories, armor, special structures) (+0 scale mod)

to total to a +0 acquisition modifier. If you take a poor quality component, that gives you +10. In which case you could either take a Power component (scale -10) that only has a 1 SP cost or +0 essential, ... or a supplental component costing 2 SP/essential component costing +1 SP that is also a structure component (like reinforced bulkheads).

Of course, it's funny because I actually emailed them a question about this a few days ago, and what they replied was:

Hi Derek,

That's a very good question! Currently there are no rules for purchasing Starship Components at different Craftsmanship levels (although I would suggest keeping an eye on future supplements). However, there is no reason why you could not introduce that concept into your own game. If you do so, I would suggest that the benefits and drawbacks be left up to the GM's discretion. For example, Best Craftsmanship Armour Plating would be covered in murals and fearsome images of death, perhaps providing the ship's crew with a benefit on Intimidation Tests, or allowing them to more easily build up a
reputation in the Expanse. Poor Craftsmanship Armour Plating, on the other hand, might look like someone attached a bunch of sheet metal to the side of the ship with a rivet gun, and make it harder for the Rogue Trader to be taken seriously.

As to the question of whether or not players can use their free acquisition to acquire starship components, the intent of the rule was for players to obtain personal items, not something like a starship component. However, if the GM wants to allow it, why not?

Best,

Sam Stewart
Associate RPG Developer