Lycanthropes

By caeaston, in Talisman Home Brews

So I've been thinking to myself. With the update to Strange Eons coming (no pressure) I've been debating what I could do with the Lycanthrope card?

I was debating making a series of different lycanthropes with slightly different strengths and weaknesses that mirror different creatues from mythology.

Werebears, Wererats, Weretigers, Werebores ect.

Thoughts?

Maybe I should stick to one item at a time (like the mini-boards idea) and perfect that before taking on another task. My wife says I'm a little scattered, "SQUIRL" she says. Frankly I don't know what she is talkin....is that pie I smell?

I think this is a good idea :) as my problem with the lycanthrope card is that really unless you are playing with specific alternative endings which make being a lycanthrope a bad thing; it isn't really a double edged sword. My group become lycanthrope's at the drop of a hat! +2 at night helps in early game.

Soo... If you do create a range of 'were' characters to become would there be different penalties in addition to different benefits? :)

I think it would have to be that way.

As an example; as a werewolf, you shouldn't be able to collect the Crown of Command. Your more interested in eating your fellow adventures. But as a werebear you could gain the Crown of Command but only if there are no other werecreatures on the board; werebears are the natural enemies of other werecreatures (if one could be considered to be predatory and the other pray like).

There should also be a clear method of curing yourself of the curse. Currently we play that if your "toadified" or killed technically your cured, but either of these results can be game ending depending on how it happens and if the werewolf wants to win; how does he kill himself and win?

Edited by caeaston

perhaps there could be some kind of silver bullet magic object that could kill the werewolf and I agree that as a werewolf you cannot get the crown of command. Alternatively maybe a player who is a werewolf has to complete a quest during the daytime for the warlock who cahnges him back human? :)

Hmmm...I like your thinking.

Maybe if your a lycanthrope you can visit the Warlock cave and request a "Cure Quest".

BTW. On a side note I was channel surfing last night and came across Lady Hawk. An old favourite. But I was thinking afterward, do all lycanthrope transform at night? How does Nava become a wolf? Presumably by a spell.

So in the end, again once Jon is ready, I'll bake into the lycanthrope deck different were creatures, some for night, some for day and also add some spell cards to transform someone into a were creature (Hay, it could be worse, you could be a toad ;) ).

A cure deck would be good for use with the Warlock during the daytime. The cure deck could ask tasks such as turn another character into a were creature or bring the warlock riches and the like. There could also be some sort of task deck whereby a cure card could say 'posion a character with the 'posion' card from the task deck. The poison card could be an addition to a weapon whereby it turns the weapon into a posionus weapon for one turn etc

also some were characters could be sort after and not feared and in order to become such a were creature certain parameters have to be met (certain strength or craft or sacrise magic objects to the warlock etc

:)