Quest throughout the realm (first preview up)

By Julia, in Runebound

Here the news, with details about the three adventure decks and the breakdown of the movement action

I hate to say it, but I'm feeling underwhelmed so far. I have everything that was published for Runebound 2e (except for the promo figures), and so far I have been less than impressed by the changes for 3e announced in the previews. Not seeing any reason to expand my collection beyond 2e at this point, which is a shame, because Runebound 2e was one of my favourite board games and parts of the game would have benefited from improvements... but those parts of the game that I think warranted improvements appear to have been left unchanged.

Oh well, hopefully it'll appeal to a lot of other players, as I would hate to see Runebound 3e flop.

Uninspired so far, but that could just be because the preview just wasn't very good.

With 2e I know that the different decks control the difficulty.

There is an element of surprise when adventuring, will it be a monster or encounter?

Events happen which tell the story of the scenario

I know how the decks are constructed to be different for each scenario

After this 3e preview I knew each type of encounter had its own deck (which was already known)

I saw one bland card from each deck.

Nothing in the preview explained how difficulty is managed, decks are built or stories are told.

I really want to look forward to this game but this preview isn't selling it to me.

I hate to say it, but I'm feeling underwhelmed so far. I have everything that was published for Runebound 2e (except for the promo figures), and so far I have been less than impressed by the changes for 3e announced in the previews. Not seeing any reason to expand my collection beyond 2e at this point, which is a shame, because Runebound 2e was one of my favourite board games and parts of the game would have benefited from improvements... but those parts of the game that I think warranted improvements appear to have been left unchanged.

Oh well, hopefully it'll appeal to a lot of other players, as I would hate to see Runebound 3e flop.

Which parts do you think could have been improved that haven't been?

The main thing that could have been improved upon in 2e was the limited amount of player interaction. Unless you went out of your way to attack another player, Runebound 2e was a turn-based race, where you have nothing to do but watch the other players move around the map/fight enemies while you await your next turn... and the game could be very long (a good 2-3 hours solo, longer with more players).

I don't think token-based combat does anything to improve player interaction, and it certainly won't speed up the game. I'm not convinced that Runebound needs a more tactical type of combat.

I also think Runebound might have worked better as a co-op or semi co-op game.

I agree that with the starting two scenarios, one should have been cooperative.

I have RB2 & don't plan on getting RB3 as I don't really see anything that

would cause me to update. I'm also disappointed with the new Board as

it doesn't cover all the cities 2nd ed has.