Card Packaging

By PhoenixInferno, in Legend of the Five Rings: The Card Game

Maybe two sided honor tokens. (honor on one side, dishonor on the other) Or they could go nuts and have tons of gold/koku tokens! Has anybody here played Tokaido? That game came with cardboard japanese coins that you had to punch out, and then punch out the little square in the middle. It looks nice, but good lord, that's a lot of work.

If they keep the honor requirements similar to the original game, then I would expect a dial, similar to the DSII version in SWLCG.

Dials that look like your clan Mon would be awesome!

Hear that, Team Covenant? Better start working on clan mon images to put on your acryllic products!

If they put in complete playsets this has a great chnace of becomming the firts LCG i will buy into. It will just need good mechanics.

I have been looking at all the others and really would like to play them. Then i see the core sets and think "no thank you!".

Really the only question is if the core set will have playsets of all the cards. The chapter packs will have play sets, as will any deluxe expansions if FFG's other LCG are used as a model, which is a rather good bet.

Isn't the only question really whether you will need 2x or 3x of the core set to get a playset? Have they ever released an LCG that had a playset in the core set? Has anything other than the SWLCG (which only launched with 4 factions and that only lets you play with 2x a particular objective set) even only required 2x core sets to get a playset?

AEG's ECG (Expandable Card Game (LCG with a different name)) Doomtown Reloaded only needed 2x Core set.

I have become pretty disenchanted with AEG, even before the sale, but I can say that Doomtown is really cool. If you get a chance you should check it out.

Yes, but FFG didn't print Doomtown, so I'm not really sure how pertinent an example that is (also, like the SWLCG, it only launched with four factions). If we're going with other companies, the Vs. 2PCG only requires one core set, if I understand correctly.

As for checking out Doomtown ... you should check out Strange Assembly during Doomtown preview periods, since we usually host at least one of them. :)

Felt like it was pertinent as it is the same release model.

Either way, I have been checking out strange assembly for a while. I didn't see your signature. I haven't really done much with Doomtown since Action Sloane came out. I laid the skeleton for that deck and Larik helped expand on it. Gamorra Gazette did an episode ripping on the deck and mentioned me at one point. Didn't really play beyond that because of school. Also the errata and templating issues witht he game made me not want to do deal it.

If they put in complete playsets this has a great chnace of becomming the firts LCG i will buy into. It will just need good mechanics.

I have been looking at all the others and really would like to play them. Then i see the core sets and think "no thank you!".

Once an LCG is through its second cycle (including 1 or 2 deluxes), multiple cores become less necessary. Sure, some of the best cards are in the core, but you don't NEED multiple cores to play competitively.

I still believe that one of the reasons core cards are used in top tournament lists so often is that the players just know how to use those cards really well since they played with them so much at release. Then the new players see those cards in winning decks and decide to use them too. The process just feeds itself.

So yes, core cards are good, but you may be just fine with 1 core.

I have every confidence there will be one or two "power" cards in the base set that will necessitate the purchase of three cores. That's just savvy.

I have every confidence there will be one or two "power" cards in the base set that will necessitate the purchase of three cores. That's just savvy.

Well, I confess that the only two LCGs I've played are the two that follow a different model (Star Wars and The Lord of the Rings). In Star Wars, you had the unholy trinity (Vader, Palpatine, Counsel of the Sith) ruling the meta for a very long time. You still see them in competitive decks. But more options have come out in the Force packs that allow you to replace some of those cards. For example. Vader could be replaced by Mara Jade in a deck. Palpatine, at 6-cost, is a gamble, so you may swap him out for a greater number of cheap units.

I'm pretty sure the 2014 world champion's Dark Side deck had no core set cards in it at all. Or maybe only 2/10 sets. And the only core objective set he used in his Light Side deck was one that pretty much everyone (himself included) had declared unusable for competitive play.

Edited by Budgernaut

The core will have powerful cards. FFG has stated that they like the Core sets to always be relevant. Probably not to the extent of SWLCG, but that partly has to do with the essentially 10 card deck you make.

And I have found, even in the games that you need 3 for full playsets of all cards, that it isn't necessarily needed to be competitive.

On a side note, are all the cards for all their lcgs printed the same? I bought a pack of 40k conquest over the weekend for funsies and was dismayed at the cheap quality of the actual card stock. Felt more like a deck of playing cards(spades, hearts, etc).

I suppose. Full bleed, some gorgeous art, some arguable visual design of cards and yes... thinner and thinner cardboard. However still cardboard and no just paper... and, in particular, playable (e; And everybody use card sleeves (e;