What We Can Count On...

By BD Flory, in Legend of the Five Rings: The Card Game

...is probably nothing.

Lots of people have been pointing at the press release (including myself) and saying, "They said this! It means we will definitely have this!"

IIRC, we still thought Star Wars was going to be a coop LCG less than a year before its release. They'd announced that, run preview articles, demo'd it at GenCon, the whole 9 yards. I'm not making a judgment on whether it was good or not, just pointing out that plans change.

Take anything said in the acquisition announcement with a healthy grain of salt.

Don't get me wrong, I don't think they're going to burn it down and salt the earth, then release the Samurai Court Dating Sim LCG or something. It's pretty apparent that a big part of the reason FFG bought the IP was because people in the company love it (and some have been professionally involved in it in the past).

But really, at this point, nothing would surprise me.

Maybe we'll get demos at GC 2016. :)

Yeah, i'm surprised it will take -2- years. To all those RPG players and I used to be one of them, I am sorry. Expect to wait longer than that for an RPG product.

On the plus side, 4th Edition is a solid product that feels pretty **** complete. We'll be gaming on it for years to come.

Two years is also long enough where you could completely overhaul the mechnincs and no one would care, probably.

I took it with a grain of salt. Lip service for a crushed playerbase.

Samurai Court Dating Sim LCG

I probably would play that...

Anyway, I actually hope they will overhaul the game quite a bit, FFG doesn't has to keep any sacred cows, so I hope they make the best game they can manage!

Samurai Court Dating Sim LCG

I probably would play that...

I knew as I was typing it that there would be people who would. :)

Samurai Court Dating Sim LCG or something.

:wub: So Love Letter? That game AEG always pushed during tournaments and said was amazing? Look, I had enough akward moments just playing in kotei and minding my own business, I didn't need Love Letter to make things stranger. I was on the AEG site today and it has a Batman version now...really?

One thing I can count on is AEG is not going to see another dime from me, and FFG will see plenty .....in 2 years.

:wub: So Love Letter? That game AEG always pushed during tournaments and said was amazing? Look, I had enough akward moments just playing in kotei and minding my own business, I didn't need Love Letter to make things stranger. I was on the AEG site today and it has a Batman version now...really?

One thing I can count on is AEG is not going to see another dime from me, and FFG will see plenty .....in 2 years.

Yeah, some friends brought Love Letter over for game night, and I didn't even realize it used L5R art until I picked up my first hand. I didn't get the appeal, but I guess some people love it. I won't be requesting it again for sure.

We will miss the weekly fictions and probably the forums life. As a LCG, we won´t miss the CCG. Two years is a big time gap, though. The community as it is ... hardly will survive.

I was doing demos and such for AEG. They would send so many copies of L5R Love Letter. I actually couldn't rid of them. I still have a copy or two. There were so many haha

That's how it starts. ;)

When they acquired the Star Wars license, I was ready to buy their Star Wars -- and only Star Wars --products. But 2 years is a long time. By time X-Wing was released, I was ankle-deep in The Lord of the Rings: The Card Game and had purchased Rune Age. Both are great games.

I suspect FFG will see some of your coin long before L5R is released. :)

On the plus side, 4th Edition is a solid product that feels pretty **** complete. We'll be gaming on it for years to come.

amen :D

Yeah, some friends brought Love Letter over for game night, and I didn't even realize it used L5R art until I picked up my first hand. I didn't get the appeal, but I guess some people love it. I won't be requesting it again for sure.

Oddly enough it works best as Batman loveletter. (the 1 card ability that let's you guess an opponent's card odly fits batman using his detective skills to find the culprit)

There are only 2 things I can guarentee:

1. Great art. These cards are going to look freaking amazing.

2. Lots, and lots, and lots... and lots of cardboard tokens. I love FFG games, but dear god, the amount of punching out you have to do is crazy.

Didn't the emperor edition precons come with tokens aswel?

L5R-Crab-Clan-Starter-Contents-large.jpg

Sake tokens! yes!

Did EE ever even use the Sake tokens?

It did sir. I still have a huge stack of them for my Sake deck (yes I said that)

It did sir. I still have a huge stack of them for my Sake deck (yes I said that)

Baha, fair enough

Humble House springs to mind but nothing else actually. In Ivory there were a bunch of 'drunkard' characters but they didn't do anything with them for some reason.

Ffg has received my money for xwing already and it will receive it for l5r too most likely. I have taken part in other ffg games and have been pleased with it. I am happy to be here.