Psykers in warhammer

By Epic117, in Dark Heresy Gamemasters

Hello guys!

Since this is my first post in this forum please bear with me here, so the biggest question in my session arised when one of the players asked a simple question, do psyker "chant or say any necessary litanies for manifesting his powers?) since my GM just insta knocked me out without much saying and then had my PC tied handcuffed and had his eyes blindfolded and his lips stitched, I went ahead and said since the PC understands that this might be his last hours and that would mean his mission towards the inquisition would be a failure he tried to push himself into manifesting any powers and weakening the veil in order to try and trigger a peril of the warp since what he was doing was unstable, the GM replied with a no you cannot since you can't do any gestures nor talk just moan. Also bare in mind that it was a sanctioned psyker and not a sorcerer that tried to start a ritual not any other summoning. Also another question since I can't find a lot of info about the psyker gene and the reaction natural imperial citizens have towards them, what does a normal imperial citizen think about a sanctioned psyker other than fear of the psyker?

Edited by Epic117

Hiya! Welcome to the forums. :)

As for your questions...

Technically , it's not necessary to use chants or litanies or charms or other such paraphernalia to manifest psychic powers, as ultimately they are a result of what's going on in the psyker's mind. Such things can help, however, to a degree that many psykers (especially wild ones, e.g. witches without formal training) do rely on them as a way to focus their thoughts to make anything happen.

The only way to neutralise a psyker with any degree of reliability would be drug-induced stasis, as you have to shackle their minds more than their bodies.

I'm not 100% sure what the rules in DH1 are saying on this topic, however, so someone else could perhaps help out here.

As for the public reaction: Generally, most sources portray all psykers as being reviled by the general public, it's just that the sanctioned ones are under protection of Imperial Law and thus untouchable. The ones who immediately work with them (such as Governors or Adepts using an Astropath for communications) understand them as being useful, and might in some cases be more open to treat them as people, but generally, the common citizen has nothing to do with any psyker, and only hears about them during firebrand speeches from the local Ministorum cleric who warns people to not trust the witch.

The situation is perhaps comparable to the Jews in medieval Europe, some of whom held important positions and were a necessary cog in the economy, but who nonetheless were subject to hatred and prosecution out of religious beliefs -- with the only difference between sanctioned ( position at the court ) and not being that the former enjoyed more protection from people acting on this hatred.

Of note is that there is always a degree of variance between individual planetary cultures, however. One planet might have almost every adult wishing to see any psyker burning at the pyre, whilst on another, people aren't quite as zealous. These things would be affected by a plethora of factors, ranging from the planet's tech level and missionary status (a recently inducted Feral World might still be used to tales of psykers as village shamans) to the local variation of the Imperial Creed as preached by the clergy.

And lastly, for your final question.. it really depends. The Inquisition doesn't really have a uniform approach to such matters, and every Inquisitor has their own style, often reflected in the agents they deploy. On paper, the Inquisition's authority is derived directly from the Emperor himself and no-one, including the Tech-Priests of Mars, would have the right to stand against it. In reality, things are a bit more complicated, as there are certain political circumstances to keep in mind. Ultimately, the Tech-Priests' answer is entirely appropriate IF these guys had stuff to hide and don't recognise anyone but their own command as an authority, just like the Acolytes' response was entirely appropriate.

Their action could still have some fallout when the AdMech tries to put pressure on the Inquisitor by appealing to other Inquisitors (everyone has contacts), so ... those Acolytes better make sure to have something to show for. Because ultimately, in the byzantine political minefield that is the Imperium of Man, the most convincing argument is ... results. :)

Ave Imperator, and have fun!

The only way to neutralise a psyker with any degree of reliability would be drug-induced stasis, as you have to shackle their minds more than their bodies.

I'm not 100% sure what the rules in DH1 are saying on this topic, however, so someone else could perhaps help out here.

Null Box, The Inquisitor's Handbook, p.190: "Inside a stasis field, all time and motion halts and whatever is trapped inside is effectively frozen and removed from any interaction with reality—essentially contained in a psychic dead zone."

Oh, I was more referring to whether or not the default psyker PC needs to use their hands/speech to manifest their powers.

But still a valuable addition to the topic, I think!

Oh, I was more referring to whether or not the default psyker PC needs to use their hands/speech to manifest their powers.

It seems that I have read the posts too quickly . Noticed only a part about psyker neutralization :)

Since this is my first post in this forum please bear with me here, so the biggest question in my session arised when one of the players asked a simple question, do psyker "chant or say any necessary litanies for manifesting his powers?"

He doesn't. At least no rulebook entry demand it, and it's quite logical (and seems that way by fluff) that psyker use only his will.

BUT in my opinion chants, litanies, gestures and so on helps concentration, so you'll have -10 to your focus test if you can't use them; that's optional/homerule, of course. Also you haven't +10 from psy focus.

Also. As we speaking about first edition, there is a skill that demands mantras and litanies - Invocation - that grants bonus. That definitly means you can use powers without mantras and litanies (without Invocation roll).

Also another question since I can't find a lot of info about the psyker gene and the reaction natural imperial citizens have towards them, what does a normal imperial citizen think about a sanctioned psyker other than fear of the psyker?

Ohoho, that's great question.

First of all there comes "abhor the witch" part. When you as normal imperial citizen see sanctioned psyker you will STAY OUT. But if you really, really can't, a complex thing happens.

1. Abhor the witch, again, again and again. You should fear and distrust this human. That's sunnah, you're tutored and mindwashed for this reaction for all your life.

2. Sanctioned psyker is Adepta. He always Adepta Astra Telepatica, and sometimes he bears even more authority from his current assignment position, such as Adeptus Arbitres. And Adepta should be respected and obliged. That's the law.

3. Sanctioned psyker visited Terra, lived in it's holy palaces and SAW EMPEROR. If taken citizen knows about it (it's not hidden info - everybody knows that witches should be taken by authorities and sended on Terra), but rare human in Imperium will make conclusion that this particular sanctionite was on Terra. They just don't want to think logically, but psyker can point it. And amuse confusion.

4. Psyker is usually outsider. He was born in some world, maybe sectors away, than he was taken on Terra, assigned to some "random" (if there is something random when you have the best diviners Humanity can offer) position. He rarely speaks the language common imperial do (I believe AAT using High Gothic). Also he don't trying hard not to be outsider - he is trained as "you're special". And he seldom have themes to speak about with common imperials.

Was that even a decent reply in that setting?

Yes, it was. But it was bold reply, and aftermath can be very, very unpleasant.