2nd edition noob question

By theafflictedone15, in Dark Heresy Rules Questions

currently trying to create a character and got to assigning my armour points from my light flak cloak but i noticed that on a video a player already had quantities in his defense slots before assigning his armour. i was told this was due to toughness modifier provides for natural armour but i can not find this anywhere in the core rulebook can someone provide this info where it is located in the book and other chacteristic modifiers for future refrence.

Thanks

TheAfflictedOne

Here's how defence works for standard characters:

After you get hit by an attack (and you failed to dodge it), the damage you take is reduced by:

1. Any cover you have

2. Your Armour points on the hit location (reduced by the attacking weapon's Pen)

3. Your Toughness bonus (effectively your Toughness score divided by 10 and rounded down). The attacker's Pen does not affect this. I presume this is what they meant by "Natural Armour" - although there is a different thing called "Natural Armour", it is practically impossible for normal PCs to get (some strange monsters can have it, but not normal humans).

Note that there are many other ways to reduce damage taken (like the Machine Trait or Unnatural Toughness), but I won't go into much detail here because they are effectively irrelevant to PCs - you probably won't have them at character creation, and will never get them unless you somehow mutate or get expensive Cybernetics.

You'll learn about them as you encounter them - don't worry about it for now!

Edited by Talon of Anathrax

To echo what Talon has said, the Toughness Bonus (TB) is the ten's place for your Toughness Characteristic. So if your Toughness is 35, your TB is 3. Occasionally some talents or skills may be affected by the Bonus of some Characteristics - Strength Bonus (SB), Agility Bonus (AB), etc. Just remember that the Bonus the is the ten's place and you'll be fine.

Everything the others have said is accurate however here are some page numbers for reference. The stuff about toughness bonus reducing damage is on page 232 of the rule book second paragraph under the damage heading. Characteristic bonuses in general are described on page 21.

awesome thanks for the answers