Blessing in Disguise

By kpsmith, in Legend of the Five Rings: The Card Game

So, I woke up today for work and I had a voice mail from a friend. "Did you hear the big news?" Well, no I hadn't. After checking the Heroes of Rokugan forum I checked the L5R home page and got filled in. Honestly, I was not surprised as I have said after the release of Doomtown, L5R going the way of the LCG model would be better for the brand. "But its not as profitable," people told me. Well, sure, that may be true but Fantasy Flight Games is doing pretty **** good with their model. Card games are a risky business so unless your name is Magic: The Gathering, in today's market CCGs are dead in the water. I'm happy the IP now belongs to a company that knows what they are doing.

Let's be honest here: the community was holding L5R together, not AEG.

Its the best move for the game and the community. My pocket book will be happier, I assure you. As a primary RPG player, I am very curious. With a LCG model I'll actually invest my time in the card game now. I am very excited for the future of L5R now, even if aspects of the game will never be the same. This is the opportunity for a story reboot I have been looking for. Looking forward to the Mantis and Spider disappearing and going back to the days of the Clan Wars.

See you in 2017.

Let's be honest here: the community was holding L5R together, not AEG.

Was and are. See you on the other side.

It's a blessing. Not so much in disguise...

I am excited for the IP for the first time in too long, really. I am actually wanting to get to Gencon for it.

Yep. In two years I will want to spend money on it again. Save the 400-500$ competitive deck bankrolling for MTG. And like L5r of Old, that deck is only good for one arc. For that cost you'll be able to own an entire set of L5R LCG, with 3 copies of every card, for about 2 1/2 years if it follows the format of other FFG LCGs. Maybe even a Year's worth of AGOT LCG 2.0 as well.

Yep. In two years I will want to spend money on it again. Save the 400-500$ competitive deck bankrolling for MTG. And like L5r of Old, that deck is only good for one arc. For that cost you'll be able to own an entire set of L5R LCG, with 3 copies of every card, for about 2 1/2 years if it follows the format of other FFG LCGs. Maybe even a Year's worth of AGOT LCG 2.0 as well.

I do wish FFG's cycle rotation were a bit more aggressive than what we have, though. I tend to enjoy block play formats.

I also worry about the fact that core sets and deluxe boxes never rotate out, but I suppose if that becomes an issue, FFG can always adjust. I'm not even sure if any of their current games are old enough for rotation to have kicked in yet. Cthulhu would be, but they stopped putting out packs, so it doesn't matter.

I guess AGoT, but did they bother implementing it before the reboot?

And that is what excites me the most. Back in the day, the cards were good for years until Time of the Void and the passing to WotC. I like my investments to stretch.

Wasn't necessary. AGoT 2.0 was announced at same time as the rotation for the LCGs was. 1.0 never rotated anything. Nor does CoC.

Wasn't necessary. AGoT 2.0 was announced at same time as the rotation for the LCGs was. 1.0 never rotated anything. Nor does CoC.

Yeah, I know CoC stopped producing packs (only boxes) so it's not relevant.

I wasn't sure if any of the other games had deep enough product lines for cycling to kick in yet, is all.

Is Star Wars going to be the first?

I wasn't sure if any of the other games had deep enough product lines for cycling to kick in yet, is all.

Not a chance. Star Wars just finished its third cycle. Netrunner will be the first

Not a chance. Star Wars just finished its third cycle. Netrunner will be the first

Ah, of course. I forgot that Netrunner hit about 6 months before Star Wars.

3 months but it also hasn't suffered the same delays as Star Wars since the Android IP is 100% FFGs. Lucasfilm has to approve everything related to Star Wars from cards, to art, to articles.

If this can revitalize L5R I am all for it. And, having floundered in the attempt to buy into the CCG side of Rokugan, I am looking forward to making the attempt at the LCG.

This was a point my FLGS also pointed out. A lot of FFG's biggest games are licensed products but this will be one of their rare 100% owned intellectual properties. One would expect a high amount of support to push it.