L5R Suggestions

By MrHydesSerum, in Legend of the Five Rings: The Card Game

Hello to our new Oni Overlords at FFG.

I have posted this to the facebook page, but figure he couldn't hurt either:

Dear Fantasy Flight...with the recent acquisition of L5R...might I offer this suggestion. You release all the expansions leading up to Onyx edition. You then release Onyx edition as the LCG maintaining the story choices of the player base. You then con tinue the story as it is going. The other suggestion would be to maintain year round story tournaments allowing the players to continue impacting the story and making cards etc. This would allow for the best transition for all the old players as well as allow the new format for the new players. Best for everyone. Especially those who are invested in player choices.

Any feedback for this suggestion would be greatly appreciated from the current fans or the new interested players.

Also,

I submitted my artwork to FFG before this acquisition, though with the recent news I would also like to showcase the artwork I have worked on in trying to be an artist with L5R.

Comments on this would be appreciated as well.

Many thanks,

and here's to an awesome new venture to which I hope much success.

Jonny

http://www.riseart.com/artist/hinkle-silva-art

Apparently this just sat in page limbo...so bumping.

I would love this, but there is talk of the .pdf being released, so that kinda dashes my hopes for any real cardboard past Evil Portents.

Shoot, I'm nervous about getting my hand on Evil Portents at this point.

I'm hoping they ignore all of Onyx storyline stuff.

Evil Portents AEG has said they are still releasing and practically for free.

Toqtamish...

If you hope they ignore it, then you are ignoring the interests of the current players.

I feel that if they maintain the current story, story picks, prizes etc, then the old players will feel like there is some dedication to us.

Then, the new players will be brought in to a riveting story, new mechanics, and an amazing community, where they are allowed to help sway the universe.

This will actually be the best way to appease old and new players.

It would be quite simple to convert the onyx story/cards into an LCG format...

For instance, there was an AGoT Base box, and then there are Kingdom expansion boxes...as well as the smaller monthly expansions...

Doing a base set, and then clan expansion boxes would be perfect, and allow them to do all the clans with their rich stories.

MrHydeSerum....

agree to to disagree I guess.

I see see it as unlikely and it either gets wiped out or jumped over with a time jump. I think they would be better off with a fresh new period in Rokugani history in which to start the new game.

I think that expecting that FFG is going to maintain the same level of story interaction is a recipe for failure. It makes the game that much more daunting for new players. I remember trying to get into the back in 2012, and it was daunting task, especially when the clan you want to play is not getting any love. I agree with Toqtamish that taking the story to a fresh period will make the game more accessible and allow FFG to make their own mark on the game.

Cool...glad you guys don't like my idea for it.

I am completely cool with the buyout and the conversion to LCG format.

I just want there to be a tip of the hat to us previous players, who interacted with the story, and made decisions, that may or may not see the light of day now.

Offering us those last little story choices, and then moving on to their own story would make a great transition.

For instance, I as a Lion player, have for years wanted to win a kotei, and never was able to. This year we were offered the ability to vote on how we wanted our clans to approach the newest edition for the story...So my first impact on the story, was a vote, that won't see the light of day unless the story and the player choices are implemented.

Anyway...agree to disagree, but the community, which everyone can agree is quite amazing, was founded on the idea of a game that players would be able to help impact what occurred in the story, and help create unique characters, places, and actions. These prizes, helped guide Clan Loyalty, player interaction, etc etc. Which led to a community of players unlike any other I have ever been part of.

So...I certainly hope, as I had said, that my suggestion is at least considered, because New Players are coming in fresh, but the old players are still out here, hoping...

Edited by MrHydesSerum