Best gaming news in a long time

By MaintainerZero, in Legend of the Five Rings: The Card Game

I'm a LONG time player of L5R, have done well in Kotei, played locally, tried to build communities around the game, etc.

This acquisition and the move to the LCG model makes me very happy. The collectible aspect of L5R has been holding it back for years. Moving away from that barrier to entry will only help the game grow.

I'm also a player of dang near everything FFG releases, and I trust them to be good stewards to what is by far my favorite gaming universe. I look forward to seeing how the game changes, and I can't wait to get a chance to actually play it!

I agree. I have not played L5R in several years, but have become addicted to FFG's Game of Thrones. I'm incredibly happy about this move, since it means L5R will be more affordable. I like new beginnings.

As an RPG guy I am not happy with this news.

I can't stand the mess they made of Warhammer. And they then went on to use the same horrible dice mechanics in StarWars. I hope to god that they don't do the same to L5R but knowing FFG they will.

I really like the FFG RPG systems... =/

Don't worry, FFG will not put out a L5R RPG product for a long time. You have over 730 days before you will even hear rumors about what dice mechanic is used.

I seriously doubt Roll & Keep is going away.

I seriously doubt Roll & Keep is going away.

Even though I agree with you, it is a solid foundation. But on the other hand FFG makes money by having their house system with unique dice that they can sell to the players, that surely will make them consider doing that approach too for L5R.

Agreed... FFG taking over the L5R is excellent news.

Looking forward to seeing the L5R LCG in 2017... also, is there any official word on anything to do with the RPG?

Thaddok

Looking forward to seeing the L5R LCG in 2017... also, is there any official word on anything to do with the RPG?

FFG own the full L5R license, including the RPG. Something they are interested in, but nothing to announce at this time. They edited the L5R news post to mention the RPG.

They had to announce the LCG now in order to calm the incoming nerd rage as much as possible. Nothing is set in stone as of yet.

FFG own the full L5R license...

Small point, but for clarity, it's not a license. They own the whole IP.

A license implies that it can be revoked.

Nothing, right now. But since they own the whole IP I would assume they will eventually build an RPG.

* looks at Game of Thrones

Wonders what kind of systems will be waiting for us. Story and game play wise.