Undead Rules

By DavideChaosLord, in BattleLore

Hello to everyone,

I have read the rules of the Undead's expansions.. and I have some questions.

Get start with the first TWO!

1) Dead Knights - Executioner (unit ability) - Example of combat: I attack with the dead knights a citadel guards' unit at full health (3 life points) and not supported

I roll 4 dices thanks to my combat value and the result is : 1 "crossed sword", 2 "flags" and 1 "heroic crown"

I resolve the dice roll making 3 damages (1 for the crossed sword and 2 for the flags thanks to the unit ability) and so I eliminate the entire unit!

AM I RIGHT ?

2) Panicked units: I have a citadel guards' unit that was panicked by barghests in a previous combat. I attack with this panicked citadel guards a unit of reanimates

I roll 3 dices thanks to my combat value and the result is : 1 "single sword", 1 "flag" and 1 "lore"

I resolve the dice roll making 1 damage, suffering 1 damage and gaining 1 lore

AM I RIGHT?

I hope in your help as Battlelore experts ;) THANK YOU

1) Absolutely correct.

"Executioner: The target unit cannot resolve retreat effects during this combat."

Technically, you would start by committing dice. You would commit the heroic result to activate Executioner. Then you move on to resolve damage (1 damage) and then retreats, which your opponent can no longer resolve because of Executioner so they take two more damage and that eliminates the unit.

2) That is also correct.

You didn't ask this question, but it's important to remember that the panic damage resolves after combat. So if your Citadel Guard only had 2 figures in the unit in your example, it would not become weak until after the combat. If your Citadel Guard was already down to 1 figure, it would resolve combat before being eliminated.

In regards to question #2, there is also another solution/answer. If the skeleton animates had suffered a loss prior to combat, you can change the sword from 1 damage to them to 1 more unit in the animates army. (max of 3 if I remember correctly).

Thank you so much!

let's continue with other questions :P

1) Unyielding (unit ability) : I think this ability is positive (because it is never weak) but it can be negative too sometimes (because of retreats)

Example of combat: I attack with the citadel guards a unit of Bone Horrors (at 2 life points) and not supported

I roll 3 dices thanks to my combat value and the result is : 1 "crossed sword", 1 "flag" and 1 "lore"

I resolve the dice roll making 1 damage (crossed sword), making another damage (flag) and gaining 1 lore and so I eliminate the entire unit! AM I RIGHT ?

P.S.: when I attack with the bone horrors i roll 3 dices.. Can I use the "flag" results to force to retreat the target unit?

2) Compelled (unit ability) :

Example: I use the Command Card "Attack center" (move 3 unit in the center section) choosing 2 dead knights' units and 1 reanimates' unit.

If I spend 1 lore, can I move 1 (and only one) bone horrors' unit just one hex in the left section???

If it's true in this turn i can move 4 units (particularly the bone horrors' unit i ndependently from the section), AM I RIGHT ?

what do you think???? :)

As for number 2: yes, you're correct on both fronts. Compelled allows to spend 1 lore to move 1 compelled unit anywhere on the board. So, you can move one ordered unit to give that unit one extra movement, or you can use it to move another unit you haven't ordered. The big difference here is that if you push an ordered unit, that unit clearly resolves an attack; if you move an unordered unit it's just the move. But moving an unordered unit 1 hex could mean it enters the range of influence of Necromancers so that you actually could have the unordered unit perform one attack if Necros roll valor.

As for Unyielding: indeed, it's both positive and negative. Positive: you need to defend a VP banner, your opponent rolls one flag and stop, and you're still defending the VP banner after suffering one casualty. Negative: it's like your unit's always pinned, so that all enemy units have an extra result against them to destroy the unit.

Edited by Julia

As for number 2: yes, you're correct on both fronts. Compelled allows to spend 1 lore to move 1 minion unit anywhere on the board.

Quick clarification. I think you meant to day say 1 compelled unit instead of 1 minion unit.

Edited by Budgernaut

As for number 2: yes, you're correct on both fronts. Compelled allows to spend 1 lore to move 1 minion unit anywhere on the board.

Quick clarification. I think you meant to day 1 compelled unit instead of 1 minion unit.

Sure! Thanks Garrett, clearly it works only for units having the Compelled ability, not for all minions. Sorry Davide, for miswriting the answer!

Don't worry Julia, your answers are always clear for me that I have to play expansion in english language (in Italy are not traslated :( !!! )

Thank you to you and to Garrett too!

You are so kind! :)

Don't worry Julia, your answers are always clear for me that I have to play expansion in english language (in Italy are not traslated :( !!! )

Sorry to hear that, especially since I think you have the core in Italian, right? It's always a pain mixing languages within the same game.

Out of curiosity: Giochi Uniti has not the rights to produce the Italian version of FFG games after the merge with Asmodee, right? So is BT temporary on halt and then Asterion will keep on supporting the line, or is this definitely the end-of-the-adventure for BT?

well.. Julia it's hard to answer to your question.

I thought it was the end between FFG and Giochi Uniti after the merge with Asmodee.

But few days ago Giochi Uniti announced that it will produce the italian version of the new "FFG - X-Wing - the Force Awaken"

so.. what the actual situation?? Maybe Giochi Uniti has the rights for the games that it already has like X-Wing, instead the new games of FFG like "Star Wars - Imperial Assault" and "Warhammer -. Forbidden Stars" will be distribuited in Italy by Asterion Press (Asmodee associated).

About Battlelore I really don't know, in my opinion Giochi Uniti has the rights to distribuite the expasions (specially Guardians of Hernfar and Warband of Scorn) but Giochi Uniti is deciding if it's fruitful distribuite these expasions (it depends on how many italians have bought Battlelore.. maybe).

I hope to have the expansions in italian.. from Giochi Uniti or from Asterion Press ?.. I really don't care :)

Interesting points, Davide, thank you. Sounds like it's quite a mess.

I'm saddened when I read such things. I've seen Arkham Horror fans being abandoned to their destiny (no Italian translation for the revised Dark Pharaoh), and some more stuff like this one. I understand every company has the right to safeguard their investments, and thus they can opt to not invest on a line that doesn't sell that good, but nonetheless it's a pity for the fanbase. And also I think it should be endangering the local scenes - honestly, with the idea of "who knows whether expansions will be translated", many could opt for the original English games.

I'll add a question regarding the regenerate rule if I may:

If I roll multiple 'single swords' on a weak unit, can I use one to regenerate up to non-weak status then apply the rest as damage?

(Hope that makes sense)

Thanks

Yes. You may commit more than once the same result, and each time you do so you trigger the required effect.

Thanks Julia

As for number 2: yes, you're correct on both fronts. Compelled allows to spend 1 lore to move 1 compelled unit anywhere on the board. So, you can move one ordered unit to give that unit one extra movement, or you can use it to move another unit you haven't ordered. The big difference here is that if you push an ordered unit, that unit clearly resolves an attack; if you move an unordered unit it's just the move. But moving an unordered unit 1 hex could mean it enters the range of influence of Necromancers so that you actually could have the unordered unit perform one attack if Necros roll valor.

As for Unyielding: indeed, it's both positive and negative. Positive: you need to defend a VP banner, your opponent rolls one flag and stop, and you're still defending the VP banner after suffering one casualty. Negative: it's like your unit's always pinned, so that all enemy units have an extra result against them to destroy the unit.

Regarding Compelled units: Is it possible to spend 2 lore and move two different compelled units one hex each? (Or 3 lore to move 3 units...)

I would say yes, otherwise I dont understand the purpose of the rule "A player can use a unit’s Compelled ability only once per turn."

You are correct: you may spend N lore to activate N different compellable units; you cannot spend N lore to activate N times the same unit