A bit disapointed

By MechaBri.Zilla, in Warhammer: Diskwars

So, I had really been holding out hope for a holiday timed expansion for my favorite 2 dimensional game... But, I think we'd have heard by now if we were going to see anything before year end.

Gotta be honest folks, I'm loosing hope in expansions and support for this game. Not that it will never come, but that it will be much too little, much too late. A game like this, though technically a board game, needs an infusion of new stuff somewhat regularly to keep interest up, unfortunately, I think by the time we get anything new, this game will be long past the ability to add new players.

I already find it increasingly difficult to get games. I think the players I've been playing with are getting board and moving on to other stuff.

I'm definitely disappointed, but I'm not sure it's too late. I feel like the game needed a bit more fleshing out to feel really complete (i.e. completed factions for Dark Elves, Lizardmen, Skaven, and wood elves, some help for the undead, preferably a ruling about only one of certain creatures (I'm looking at you double bloodthirsters and sun dragons) in armies).

I think the problem is that initially this game felt more like an LCG, especially with the quick release schedule of the first two expansions, and now has been shifted to board game status in favor of other more popular properties. I'm actually fine with this being relegated to that style of release (slow to no expansions) schedule, but I really feel like the game desperately needs that one last deluxe expansion to really feel "done". Right now certain builds and certain factions are just too dominant.

It is interesting that they made a point of mentioning the strong sales of this title as they discontinued tournament play, as they have yet to follow up on those "strong sales" with another release. Realistically, MechaBri.Zilla may be right--we have reached the point where it is difficult to sustain interest for many players, and extremely difficult (in my experience) to generate interest in new players, which is critical for the game's health.

I consider myself to be an extremely devoted Diswars disciple (see my reams of material on disk types for proof of my obsession), but I must confess that even I am giving in to the general funk that is surrounding the game right now. I have only played a single game in the last two months, which saddens me greatly, and I come here to the forums to mope...but even that has become a rare occurrence for me.

That said, one announcement would instantly lift the clouds and let the sun shine through, and I would skip merrily again through the meadows of Diskwars heaven, singing the praises of my favorite game once more. Armed with a new expansion, I think I could revitalize the game within my gaming circle at least, but unless more support was forthcoming it would most likely be a temporary reprieve at best.

I love this game so much, but it is hard to get others to love it without some support. How many different ways and in how many different threads have I said this? I'm not sure if it makes me feel better or worse to say it again, but it's all I can do right now.

I don't know if I expect any expansions or not at this point. I still try to persuade people I know to play a match whenever possible. So far we have only played with the preconstructed armies, so there is much left for us to explore in the game. I wish this game would generate more buzz online so I had something to read between matches. Snipertroll has done us all a great favor with his blog. It is really solid stuff.

I hear you Jedhead. I've been moping about this game myself. I don't even swing through the forum and BGG pages as much as I used to. It's too depressing.

I'm not complaining exactly, ok I am a little, but it really seems like Star Wars is edging out a lot of the smaller ip's that FFG has. I can't blame them, I mean, SW makes money. I love FFG games, and I want them to be a healthy and successful company, so they can continue to make the games I love. Heck, I even like a lot of their SW stuff. I was pretty excited about the new Force Awakens X-Wing Core. That said, this is my favorite board game currently out there. I desperately want them to at least fill in the factions they've started.

I am holding out hope that we will get some more expansions. I'm just afraid the game will be all but dead by the time it happens, and that poor sales of those expansions, when they do come out, will mean a more permanent end to the game.

Edited by MechaBri.Zilla

I love Star Wars, and between my brothers and my own purchases we have most of those games in our collection, but it doesn't quite scratch my fantasy itch completely. Warhammer is a great IP, and I prefer Fantasy greatly to 40K, so Diskwars will always have a special place in my heart just because of that, but the gameplay is also phenomenal.

Right now, I am desperate for expansions. Heck, I ended up buying Warhammer Quest mostly as a proxy outlet for my Diskwars obsession! It does look like a cool game as well, though.

Is Warhammer Quest out? I really want that one.

It is not out yet, but it is being printed now. I just have it on pre-order.

Yeah...I was hoping for something this year too. They'll eventually come out with expansions to flesh out the remaining factions probably next year. That would seem to fit with their release schedule for other WFB properties (like Blood Bowl). What I'm more worried about is will they continue to release new stuff after they've fleshed out all of the armies. There are still so many great units to release (Skarsnik and Gobbla, Korhil, White Lions just to name a few).

Mecha is right, maybe we have already crossed the critical point of gaming interest for this precious piece. I clearly have a lot of enthusiasm left, but I am the last man standing in my group. We did not play for some three monthes now. As hard as I try to organize meetings for W - DW it all failed. My circle is already dead.

As you said Katsuyori. I will keep my DW stuff, and will hold out the odd hope for some news, but with Elder Sign getting an announcement for an expansion, I think DW is pretty much dead. All I can hope is that WH:Q doesn't die as quickly as Diskwars did.

Sadly, I am inclined to agree that an expansion coming out now would be too little, too late. The window of opportunity on the game was closing fast a year ago, and has probably been firmly closed for some time now. I still think we will get a last expansion, but when it comes it will not sell well unless some sort of miracle occurs.

I think I may have to hang up my imaginary diskwars priest outfit. There are no believers left to whom I can preach... :(