What's a good drafting strategy for deck building with the following format?

By Harliquine, in Warhammer Invasion Deck Building

Hey gang

My local shop is sponosoring a draft event next weekend with the following rules:

Sunday October 18th starting at 1pm but with certainly welcome late entry. The event will held at the Bobby Jones store location.
You WILL NOT actually need a copy of Warhammer Invasion LCG Core Set to play. All you need is $10 and you even get to keep the cards you play with.

Essentially each player will "buy" a kingdom to play that comes with the Kingdom Tile, a share of the tokens used for the game, all the cards for that kingdom and a share of the other non-kingdom specific cards in the core set. You will use those cards to start your personal draft pile. For each game you will use the draft rules to build your deck to play with.

Several of the local guys including myself have been pushing for this event and we want everyone to have a good time and not feel frustrated with the draft format. Just looking for some tips to give everyone on good solid draft strategies no matter what kingdom they choose.

Our purpose is to induct new players at a low price to get into the game until official event support comes around. We will be running several of these events so that even experienced players will want to play if nothing more than to stock up on extra cards for their custom decks at a low price.

When in doubt draft a unit. Look for effects that let you target units or zones directly outside of combat. Look for units that get stronger when things aren't going your way. Don't worry about quests so much unless the ability is REALLY good (recursion, deck discard, etc).

Get a hero. You really want at least one major unit that can bring the pain. That said you are going to want to have a lot of cannon fodder and other peons to fuel your draw and resources and soak up damage that would otherwise go to your capital.

Good advice. I'll pass it on to my group and I'll be using it myself since I've never done a draft format like this.