Exorcism—A New Psychic Discipline

By TrophiesFromDeadPeople, in Dark Heresy House Rules

I just posted up a resource on Dark Reign for an idea I found recently and remixed. The link is http://darkreign.org/downloads/01-09-2015/exorcism-remastered .

Someone originally made their idea of an Exorcism psychic discipline. Unfortunately, they made a creation that, I'll say harshly here, looked quite juvenile. It was a discipline for banishing Daemons, sure, but it had the Psyker loading up on meeting prerequisites for a final shebang that prevents Daemon rifts for 100d10 years in a 100km radius or something, that requires the Psyker losing all his powers but gaining the Untouchable background and half his spent experience back.

Regardless of that implementation, I really liked the idea of an anti-Psyker Psyker, and so I trolled a lot of Lexicanum and WH40K Wikia for a better sense of how it could be palatable to a reasonably serious Dark Heresy player. I settled on the idea of a discipline focused on, well, discipline: Exorcists look at the Warp as a problem more than a power, and so exercise restraint in how they apply their abilities. Biomancers look to use warp energy to improve the human form, the Telepaths use it to control other humans, Diviners use it for guidance, and the Kineticists use it to rearrange their environment. No pre-existing discipline has overlap with Exorcists, who use warp energy to save humans from the dangers of warp energy.

Go ahead and follow the link to read up on the actual abilities themselves; you can download the .docx there, which I think is more legible than the site's formatting. I'm looking to know whether people find the idea as intriguing as I do (please read the abilities, not just my little blabber on this post; I didn't say everything I want to here) so I know if I should keep iterating on this idea (it's only at v1.0) and I want to know what's glaringly overpowered (or underpowered) in it so I know how to keep iterating on it.

Thanks! :lol:

As I know this Discipline named as Sanctic or Theosophamy.

By the way, Daemonology is the same discipline, it just used reversed. Or maybe it's Theosophamy used reversed?..

As I know this Discipline named as Sanctic or Theosophamy.

By the way, Daemonology is the same discipline, it just used reversed. Or maybe it's Theosophamy used reversed?..

I knew that there had to be something in-universe that already dealt with daemon banishment! I searched those terms; it seems that Sanctic is the half of Daemonology about sanctification (as opposed to Malefic, the pro-daemon Daemonology) for the WH40K Miniatures game, while Theosophamy is the proper name of the psychic discipline which focuses on using Sanctic abilities (in the Rogue Trader supplement entitled Into the Storm ).

Since my group plays Dark Heresy and only Dark Heresy (we <3 the =I=), it might be in my interest to backport the discipline from Rogue Trader, but then mix it thoroughly with the ideas I've established above, especially because there are only 6 given spells officially in Theosophamy but Dark Heresy explicitly requires 10 to award discipline mastery. I'll update the original post (and link) with a heavy revision that cleaves truer to the Rogue Trader powers.

Since my group plays Dark Heresy and only Dark Heresy (we <3 the =I=), it might be in my interest to backport the discipline from Rogue Trader, but then mix it thoroughly with the ideas I've established above, especially because there are only 6 given spells officially in Theosophamy but Dark Heresy explicitly requires 10 to award discipline mastery.

Look into Soul Ward discipline as well. It's based on manifesting psyker faith into empower it's allies.

Since my group plays Dark Heresy and only Dark Heresy (we <3 the =I=), it might be in my interest to backport the discipline from Rogue Trader, but then mix it thoroughly with the ideas I've established above, especially because there are only 6 given spells officially in Theosophamy but Dark Heresy explicitly requires 10 to award discipline mastery.

Look into Soul Ward discipline as well. It's based on manifesting psyker faith into empower it's allies.

I'm on my way to finishing up the 2.0 version tomorrow, which has been renamed to Theosophamy to better reflect its grounding in existing FFG lore. I've incorporated some of the names, descriptions, and effects from Into the Storm: The Explorer's Handbook and so far it looks like a reasonable backport of roughly ~55% homebrew material. I went through The Navis Primer to see if I can apply the Soul Ward discipline... but it's what you said: it's manifesting psyker faith into allies. Therefore, it runs counter from the idea I liked from Exorcism/Theosophamy, which was about using the Warp against the Warp and not about directing Warp energies towards other (non-psyker) people.

Thanks for the suggestion, though.

Edited by TrophiesFromDeadPeople