Why would anyone ever play a droid?

By jhaelen, in Star Wars: Edge of the Empire RPG

Are you people redoing the entire thread now? :-))

It seems like this thread just won't die. It seems to finally die but three weeks later someone comes across it had feels compelled to revive it with their own opinion. then the same 3 arguments come up until the circle completes and goes back into hibernation.

I like how droids have such versatility. They're the Munchkin species.

Actually, I think that a droid has innate advantages, if you're wlling to play it. Sure, it takes a little ingenuity, but that is what the game is all about! Imagine a droid who got a computer console fixed to his back. All he's got to do is hunch over and roll stealth, and he looks like a computer console. And thanks to all that xp, he can have a great stealth! Thus he could infiltrate a star destroyer, moving when no one was looking. Until he stands up and shoots something with his disruptor pistol. :) So long story short, come up with a creative idea, then build to that idea's strengths.

Actually, I think that a droid has innate advantages, if you're wlling to play it. Sure, it takes a little ingenuity, but that is what the game is all about! Imagine a droid who got a computer console fixed to his back. All he's got to do is hunch over and roll stealth, and he looks like a computer console. And thanks to all that xp, he can have a great stealth! Thus he could infiltrate a star destroyer, moving when no one was looking. Until he stands up and shoots something with his disruptor pistol. :) So long story short, come up with a creative idea, then build to that idea's strengths.

I think you have played a little too much metal gear solid ^_°

I figured after K2-SO everyone would be motivated to play one. New guy at game nite is all in for one.

I figured after K2-SO everyone would be motivated to play one. New guy at game nite is all in for one.

I've had seven players across four games, and only one took a droid. It was the first game, and after that, nobody has wanted one as a PC. Part of it is the game mechanics, and part of it is how they are typically treated as non-people in-setting.

I've had seven players across four games, and only one took a droid. It was the first game, and after that, nobody has wanted one as a PC. Part of it is the game mechanics, and part of it is how they are typically treated as non-people in-setting.

Well lets look at why that is have you played up that being non-human is sucky as well as being a droid/ Have you given them situations where droids would excel such as poisonings, dioxis gas having to hold your breath, survival situations? Also as other people have stated sometimes its best to play to your advantages as has been said no one cares about droids look at how many times Chopper in rebels has been passed off as a imperial droid to the groups benefit.

Well lets look at why that is have you played up that being non-human is sucky as well as being a droid/ Have you given them situations where droids would excel such as poisonings, dioxis gas having to hold your breath, survival situations? Also as other people have stated sometimes its best to play to your advantages as has been said no one cares about droids look at how many times Chopper in rebels has been passed off as a imperial droid to the groups benefit.

I've run about 5 campaigns, and a buncha playtest scenario sessions. I think so far we've had 3 droid characters? I think? Outta I don't know how many species released so far, so all in all, pretty popular among my crew.

I have played up that being a non-human is a disadvantage when dealing with the Empire, just as being human is occasionally a disadvantage when interacting with anti-Imperial factions. However, disdain for droids as being "less than people" is almost universal.

I have had situations where the mechanical nature of being a droid is an advantage (and a few where it is a disadvantage), but this was fairly insignificant to my players.

As far as being overlooked, sure--if you're the right kind of droid in the right place. A medical droid infiltrating a docking bay isn't so believable. Also, it's not as if droids get free ranks of Indistinguishable, so it's no harder to tell two protocol droids apart than it is to tell two humans apart.

We have an bounty hunter with an IG chassis and an astromech, + a force wielder, hotshot, a beast rider and a twi'lek face. So makes for a rather round group. Not being human comes with disadvantages and advantages and the advantages outshine the disadvantages when you have a rounded group and can for the most part ignore the disadvantages.

I have played up that being a non-human is a disadvantage when dealing with the Empire, just as being human is occasionally a disadvantage when interacting with anti-Imperial factions. However, disdain for droids as being "less than people" is almost universal.

I have had situations where the mechanical nature of being a droid is an advantage (and a few where it is a disadvantage), but this was fairly insignificant to my players.

As far as being overlooked, sure--if you're the right kind of droid in the right place. A medical droid infiltrating a docking bay isn't so believable. Also, it's not as if droids get free ranks of Indistinguishable, so it's no harder to tell two protocol droids apart than it is to tell two humans apart.

Humans have problems with recognizing even people from their own species if they are from another ethnic group. And there are good reasons for that. Furthermore droids are basically everywhere, even if you ignore the species difference and assume that people recognize everyone equally people still would not care not be able to tell which droid belongs were, because there are just too many of them.

This is a constant theme in all the movies, from episode One to rogue one.

Sure, other droids might notice that you are not the astromech send to repair the computer access port, but everyone else will assume you are unless that access port is in a especially restricted area. Even your docking bay example works fine, because there must be a constant source of smaller accidents or sick people arriving at planets in need of medical attention. You do not get free ranks of Indistinguishable, sure, but you are still from a different species which is common across the galaxy and is used for work basically everywhere. Droids and AI are the foundation of star wars galaxy after all. Furthermore very few develop a complete personality AND enough independence to operate outside of their core programming, which means they droids are not only everywhere, but are in general tame slaves for their owners and indeed not real people. At least that is the perspective the galaxy on droids, useful tools. You might be able to distinguish a phillips from a Frearson screwdriver, but you will have trouble distinguishing two phillips from the same batch of screwdrivers.

So the new guy at my table wants to be the bodyguard to his buddy at the table. Who in their right mind would want to take a hit for someone else? Someone programmed to do it. He wants to be shooty and protecty, so it works out well for his concept. It's certainly not for everyone, but if everyone agreed on what's right for them, how boring would that be?

And behold as the topic reignites! Kudos to master topic sustainer Neo ra!

And behold as the topic reignites! Kudos to master topic sustainer necromancer Neo ra!

FTFY. ;)

I have GM'd 1 campaign that was 4 Force users and 1 droid, and I have played as a Droid.

In the campaign i ran the droid was invaluable to the group. There was multiple places the party couldn't gain access to that only the droid could. The droid also helped keep the party grounded and together during crazy force vergence moments. She was an Assassin/Bounty Hunter droid.

The droid i played was a heavily modified and very old medical droid. He was the personal medical droid to a Jedi Knight before order 66. He ended up in the ownership of a young girl living on the streets of Coruscant who was force sensitive (another party member). He basically served as her protector and mentor, sharing what his old master knew.

It was easily one of the more rewarding characters I've ever played. Being able to support the party with healing abilities and being able to physically take more blows without the same consequence as an organic being. Being that a Droid can just be repaired.

Cool idea. The world of droids needs more people like you.

I have GM'd 1 campaign that was 4 Force users and 1 droid, and I have played as a Droid.

In the campaign i ran the droid was invaluable to the group. There was multiple places the party couldn't gain access to that only the droid could. The droid also helped keep the party grounded and together during crazy force vergence moments. She was an Assassin/Bounty Hunter droid.

The droid i played was a heavily modified and very old medical droid. He was the personal medical droid to a Jedi Knight before order 66. He ended up in the ownership of a young girl living on the streets of Coruscant who was force sensitive (another party member). He basically served as her protector and mentor, sharing what his old master knew.

It was easily one of the more rewarding characters I've ever played. Being able to support the party with healing abilities and being able to physically take more blows without the same consequence as an organic being. Being that a Droid can just be repaired.

Damage isn't just a matter of the rules, though. A living being is in tremendous pain when it gets its arm shot off or stabbed in the gut, a droid isn't. If you roleplay wounds even somewhat realistically, organics will be occasionally incapacitated by pain. Droids won't.

Bodhi Rook: There's a planet-wide defensive shield with a single main entry gate. This shuttle should be equipped with an access code that allows us through.

K-2SO: Assuming the Empire hasn't logged it as overdue.

Bodhi Rook: Or stolen.

Jyn Erso: And if they have?

Bodhi Rook: Then they shut the gate and we're all annihilated in the cold, dark vacuum of space.

K-2SO: Not me. I can survive in space.

So... there's that...

Yeah but how often does that actually come up, when you're staying true to the movies?

It's one of several environmental situations that collectively encompass a number of pitfalls for squishy PCs.

Yeah but how often does that actually come up, when you're staying true to the movies?

Well, funny you say that. The PCs were exploring a drifting hulk of a Dreadnaught. The one group with a Jedi came across a sealed blast door. The Jedi tried to open the door, but the controls were non-responsive. So he said, "I use my lightsaber to cut the door open."

That section of the hulk was exposed to a hard vacuum and he failed every single athletics or coordination test to either not be sucked through the door or to hold onto something. Each roll was 0 success with 1 or 2 advantage, which allowed him to always grab something while being pulled further out into space.

He spent a total of 8 or 9 turns in space, mainly due to a number of crit rolls that were under 20, before bing rescued by the pilot who maneuvered the ship into place and the gunnery droid got out and hauled the now-unconscious Jedi back into the ship.

That's why I said "when you're staying true to the movies". Vacuum issues don't come up at all in the movies. There's even a human-level warm atmosphere inside an asteroid-dwelling space slug.

Sure, I've had space walks and hull breaks come up in sessions, and they happen in non-movie SW material. But if you want to run a game that's very much like the movies, it just doesn't matter.

Not trying to tell you you're doing it wrong or anything; just that this advantage for a droid seems largely theoretical if we're looking at the movies.

Just off the top of my head:

In TPM R2 and several other droids need to do an emergency spacewalk to fix Padme's ship.

In Episodeds1, 4, and 5 we see R2 and other droids in space fixing fighters

In a recent episode of Rebels, Chopper and another droid need to do an emergency spacewalk to remove/ reprogram a space mine

In Episode 5, R2 falls off luke's X-Wing and does not need to worry about not being able to swim or drown because he is a droid.

3PO being blasted to bits and then reassembled in Episode 5

3PO being dissassembled partially during the battle on Geonosis in Ep 2.

You play a droid to like .... roleplay, man.

Close to the min-maxing side treads one who worries too much about points.

Edited by themensch

Damage isn't just a matter of the rules, though. A living being is in tremendous pain when it gets its arm shot off or stabbed in the gut, a droid isn't. If you roleplay wounds even somewhat realistically, organics will be occasionally incapacitated by pain. Droids won't.

Actually, Wounds (points on the WT) don't really cause any pain in this system. That's a function of weapon properties and critical hits. Droids have no special resistance to either of those.

Actually, Wounds (points on the WT) don't really cause any pain in this system. That's a function of weapon properties and critical hits. Droids have no special resistance to either of those.

I wrote wounds, not Wounds. I also mentioned going beyond the rules and into roleplaying.

And yes, Wounds are physical damage. They most certainly come with pain, even if the system doesn't track the pain of wounds. Just like it doesn't track a whole bunch of combat details. Doesn't mean you get setbacks for having Wounds, but it does mean the GM can spend threats to give you pain-related setbacks, and that roleplaying someone who's been thoroughly shot or stabbed will look quite differently whether you're doing it with an organic or with a droid character.