When does Geralt drink the potions and Maribor Forest

By Slavicist, in The Witcher Adventure Game

What is precisely considered a "start of battle"? Geralt can drink potions at the very start , which means before resolving the monster's "before rolling" effects and, of course, actually rolling the dice. But if the player faces a face down monster, does he have to drink the potions before flipping the encounter face up? In the opinion of me and some other players Geralt might be a bit overpowered if he drinks immediately...what should be done in that case?

Additionally, how do I play the Maribor Forest potion? Do I drink it and then decide if I'll produce a Sword a Shield or a Ritual or I get to actually choose between the three after rolling? I'm guessing the former (though we didn't play it like that).

The start of combat refers to after you choose which monster to encounter, flip it, and then just prior to rolling dice. I don't recall the abilities on the potion so I cannot really be of much help for it as I play Dandelion almost exclusively.

The start of combat refers to after you choose which monster to encounter, flip it, and then just prior to rolling dice. I don't recall the abilities on the potion so I cannot really be of much help for it as I play Dandelion almost exclusively.

"At the start of battle, you may spend 1 Common Marker from this card to produce 1 Sword, 1 Shield, or 1 Ritual Sign."

P. S. Isn't it a little weird that "start of battle" goes BEFORE "before battle"? When you think about it, it should really go the other way around (logically, since something happens before and then at its start ). It seems to me as if this may have come from the fact that, apparently, the Monsters had been created prior to the Development Cards.

In the case of Before battle and at the start of battle, Before Battle occurs first, so any monster will "ambush" you thematically. I would also rule that when you remove the Common Marker from the potion you choose the effect then and there. So you will be guaranteed a Sword, Ritual, or Shield for the battle prior to dice rolling. It works best for things that require a Ritual to kill the monster.

In the case of Before battle and at the start of battle, Before Battle occurs first, so any monster will "ambush" you thematically. I would also rule that when you remove the Common Marker from the potion you choose the effect then and there. So you will be guaranteed a Sword, Ritual, or Shield for the battle prior to dice rolling. It works best for things that require a Ritual to kill the monster.

I've just written to the above. No, it doesn't; the "before battle" occurs after "at the start of battle".

https://images-cdn.fantasyflightgames.com/filer_public/05/ab/05ab823d-2da2-49a8-9357-248b267df325/va90_rules_reference_guide_eng_web.pdf

The other way would be meaningless, as there are "at the start" effects that prevent the "before battle" from ever happening.

Before Rolling occurs after the At The Start of Battle not Before Battle. Please be careful when you read the words because Fantasy Flight is big on the phrasing that they use and are deliberate in the words that they use.

Before Rolling occurs after the At The Start of Battle not Before Battle. Please be careful when you read the words because Fantasy Flight is big on the phrasing that they use and are deliberate in the words that they use.

Yes, that's exactly what I have been trying to explain to you. You were saying the other way around . Just read your post a little to the above:

In the case of Before battle and at the start of battle, Before Battle occurs first , so any monster will "ambush" you thematically .

It has been a few weeks since I have played, but there are also no mentions of "Before Battle" written anywhere. I was using "Before Battle" as "Before Rolling" because that was your original use of the term. There are only the two phases prior to combat encounters: 1) At the Start Of Battle, and 2) Before Rolling.

It has been a few weeks since I have played, but there are also no mentions of "Before Battle" written anywhere. I was using "Before Battle" as "Before Rolling" because that was your original use of the term. There are only the two phases prior to combat encounters: 1) At the Start Of Battle, and 2) Before Rolling.

Ohhhh...I got confused, sorry.

Its alright the rules are sometimes really hard to read through and get a grasp on every single rule right away.