Can Davos be returned to hand during Wildfire Assault?

By EasyTarget, in Rules Questions

I'm pretty sure Davos can be returned to hand, if he is one of the characters chosen because his ability does not read as a save, instead it replaces the dead pile with returning to hand; but he is still killed. My friend, on the other hand, disagrees.

Davos Seaworth: Interrupt: When Ser Davos Seaworth is killed, return him to your hand instead of placing him in your dead pile.

Wildfire Assault: When Revealed: Each player chooses up to 3 characters he or she controls. Kill each character not chosen (cannot be saved).

If i'm correct, how do I explain this to my friend?

Thanks in advance!

He would return to your hand. He is still being killed and leaving play, therefore it's not a save effect. His effect triggers after he is killed, therefore you met the requirements of Wildfire.

Wildfire specifically says "Cannot be Saved."

RRG pg. 18 covers both Saves and Replacement Effects.

Save : When a card is saved from an effect that attempts to remove that card from play, the card remains in play as the effect resolves and is not considered to have been killed, discarded, or otherwise removed from play by the effect.

Obviously this doesn't apply, since Davos doesn't remain in play. So Wildfire Assault isn't violated.

Replacement Effects: A replacement effect is an effect (usually an interrupt) that replaces the resolution of a triggering condition with a different means of resolving that same triggering condition, but in such a manner that the triggering condition is still considered to occur. The word “instead” is frequently indicative of a such an effect.
Ser Davos is a textbook example. He's still killed, but the only difference is where he goes when he is killed.
Edited by Grimwalker