How does this compare to HeroQuest regarding kids playing?

By Doc Savage, in Talisman

I have kids, 9 and 11 that have played many games including HeroQuest. How does Talisman compare in terms of complexity, playing time and 'spookyness'?

Thanks!!!

docsavagepu8.png?t=1228267350

Hi, I would say that in terms of fantasy background they are similar.However the gameplay is not similar.The game is very easy too pick up and in my opinion is no more spookier than heroquest.I was 12 years old the first time i played talisman in the 80's and i have loved it ever since.I hope this opinion helps. happy.gif

Doc, as you may be aware you hit two of my favorite games here. If the kids do enjoy HeroQuest , there is indeed a likeability factor between the two. However, Talisman has a lot of reading - similar to a CCG game, or HeroScape, where the cards can change the original rules. The real factor is time. Talisman can last a fairly long time if certain cards do not show up or the players' characters remain weak.

i first played it when i was 7 back in the 80's. loved it ever since corazon.gif . fun game (and the expansions were great aplauso.gif ). not spooky at all. of cousre all people/kids are differnt (i know people who are afriad of geko's)

Talisman was the first real boardgame me and my gaming-buddies got into around the age of 9. We got into Heroquest (and numerous other Games Workshop games) as a result of our love of this game. Really, I should have a t-shirt with " Talisman made me a Gamer " printed on it.

happy.gif

Agreed...have played with niece and nephew....this game is very kid friendly....I actually can't think of any questionable content really...the only thing I can think of is in the original artwork...there was depictions of pentagrams and demons. I mention that because it would depend on how picky about that stuff you are. It would seem they have changed some of the original artwork...it could mean some of that content was taken out though I am not sure.

Aw, man... A FFG remake of Heroquest would be the nuts.

And before y'all shout DESCENT... The beauty of Heroquest was its simplicity and it's compact nature. It really went across well with younger players and those who don't want to spend 4 hours 'learning' the rules. I tried to engage my son with World of Warcraft: the Boardgame when he was about 15. Bottom line -- everyone lost interest long before I'd got halfway through explaining the rules. Heroquest on the other foot, is a doozie for the casual gamer to pick up and enjoy.

A consumation even more devoutly to be wished, would be a FFG remake of Heroquest's bigger brother "Warhammer Quest" -- alas out of print for too many years. DESCENT seems to me a game designed for post-console/DOOM generation of gamers, with sundry 'lives' and 'spawning' areas.

But if FFG are getting cosy with GW -- and the acquisition of WHFRP and Talisman would seem to suggest this -- then Heroquest (its Hasbro dual heritage notwithstanding) and Warhammer Quest would be my prayer for 2010.

Thanks for the comments. I will have to look closer at Talisman. A new game shop has opened in Burbank, perhaps I'll be able to get a look at the components and rules. It is not the complexity I was worried about (my son was playing Magic at 5), but rather the atmosphere. The youngest (6) was spooked by the Heroquest Dungeon theme and the mystery and anxiety before opening a door. Is it a horrible monster???

I think I will probably work through the full Heroquest game and expansions and then look at Talisman.

docsavagepu8.png?t=1228464428