Episode 7 and SW:A

By AfroCampbell, in Star Wars: Armada Off-Topic

Simple Question:

Do you think FFG will capitalise on the new movies and bring out new ships from this new era?

They are for X-Wing, so it makes sense for them to do that with Armada. Most likely not until sometime next year. Wave 2 has to come out first, and that's "at the printer".

New ships probably. I wouldn't bet on a new Starter set though. Both OT and the PT didn't have any fleet actions on screen until the third movie after all.

Edited by RogueCorona

Not that it correlates but X-wing is getting a new starter set for the film. I'd wager that maybe FFG would want to hammer out the Galactic Civil War from the OT before they delved into any Resistance/New Order business. But what do I know?

New ships probably. I wouldn't bet on a new Starter set though. Both OT and the PT didn't have any fleet actions on screen until the third movie after all.

I think this is the main reason we will not see anything from ep 7. They have shown one new star destroyer but no other capital ships. We will definitely see them after the first movie with a cap ship battle. There are also a lot of canon ships from the civil war time frame they have not made yet. I would like to see this time period fully fleshed out before we start moving into other time periods.

Really, the prequel films and The Clone Wars would be a perfect fit for this game considering they did have large scale fleet battles, plus a fair variety of canon ships that they could make use of. Though with how the prequel era is being used I doubt we will see that anytime soon if at all.

Yeah unless more prequel ships show up in Rebels or any of the upcoming films that is. We've already had. two TCW era designs appear in Rebels after all and I'm hoping when Hondo shows up he'll bring his Corona Armed Frigate with him.

Who knows maybe something will canonize the Rebel Alliance using old CIS capital ships

Edited by RogueCorona

Yeah unless more prequel ships show up in Rebels or any of the upcoming films that is. We've already had. two TCW era designs appear in Rebels after all and I'm hoping when Hondo shows up he'll bring his Corona Armed Frigate with him.

Who knows maybe something will canonize the Rebel Alliance using old CIS capital ships

<Ahem> Tarkin

I, personally, would love to see PT ships. However, I do not want to see Armada have a PT era. It would make for more confusion and that is not needed. In my previous post I mentioned the novel Tarkin that I think came out earlier this year. In that book, which is canon, we saw the rebels use a modified Providence Class cruiser. It had parts of Trench's flag ship the Invincible, and the Lucid Voice, one of Greivous's flagships. they also had vulture droids, and I think tri-fighters. The Empire, meanwhile, was still using Victory and Venator class star destroyers, even though the Imperial 1 had already come out. And although Tie Fighters were bleeding edge, we are told that the empire is still using the vastly superior V-wings and Arc-170s. Vader, himself, is still using Eta-2s. And that's just one book! FFG has shown that they have no objection to EU and there we see many more PT ships. I think it would be a big mistake for them to leave out such amazing ships as the Recuscant and Malificent cruisers as well as all of the above mentioned ships.

Just from the previews, SW7 brings us something like five new starfighter-sized vehicles. There is only one capital ship, the Finalizer, and that's hardly enough to make a wave out of.

Unless they delay for Episode 8, or new capital ships come out of 7, it'll probably be paired with other ships. Honestly I wouldn't mind seeing rebel-aligned CIS ships.

I really hope they don't feel the need to jump on the Ep VII bandwagon. Besides the new X-Wing, most of the new ships they've leaked thus far don't look all that great at all, and with the relative handful the movie would give use, would change the flavor of the game, having a few ships from a later era being randomly thrust in the middle of the otherwise completely Galactic Civil War Armada fleets.

As others have said, I would love to see some of the prequel ships show up as Rebel salvage, or old Imperial ships still in service, with the Dreadnought able to be used by either side.

I would be very interested in fleet battles based on the stuff in the animated Clone Wars series. I don't expect we'll see them though since it seems everything from before the Rebels animated series is more or less "poison" at the moment. As far as I can tell the powers that be are trying to distance themselves as far as they can from Episodes I, II, and III.

At this point it is just a habit for people to bash those films.

I'm just curious what will happen when Ep. VII reveals what a hack of a director JJ is. But I suspect Han will "shoot first" within fifteen minutes of the opening scroll and no one will care that the rest of the film is crap.

I would be very interested in fleet battles based on the stuff in the animated Clone Wars series. I don't expect we'll see them though since it seems everything from before the Rebels animated series is more or less "poison" at the moment. As far as I can tell the powers that be are trying to distance themselves as far as they can from Episodes I, II, and III.

Yet they're one of the few canon places to pull from, Clone Wars Included.

It is just that FFG has a stated preference to remain about the OT and there-abouts.

<Ahem> Tarkin

Yeah I meant the Rebel Alliance or the Rebel Network from Rebels which I'm sure becomes the core of the original Rebel Alliance sorry for not being clearer.