Thinking about buying Dust Tactics minis

By Klerych, in Dust Tactics

So! Just like in the title, I'm thinking about getting myself the Core Set along with maybe a couple other boxes. The game is basically non-existant in Poland as far as I know, at least it is in my city, so it's not like I'm looking to build some huge armies, but I love to buy starter sets and expand them a little to have a collection of tabletop wargames to play with an odd guest interested in trying one out just like some people have collections of board games. I already have forces for WarZone: Resurrection, Warhammers, Warmachine/Hordes, Dystopian Wars (man, that's a lot of "war"), X-Wing and Armada and I look forward to adding more games to my collection and given the fact that I'm somewhat in the mood for WWII and I always loved the concept of alternate history and weirdwaffe I thought that maybe I would consider Dust Tactics rather than go for just generic WWII Bolt Action game.

But yeah, I literally know nothing about the game or how it's played, all I know is that nazis found alien ship and new super-element and used it to progress, and other factions joined soon. I don't know anything about the mechanics, how it all works, how does it play without the tiles etc. Any kind of info from people who played it will be very welcome, especially on those matters:

1. is the game genuinely fun? Is it a good skirmish game? Is the system well-designed?

2. are the starter forces balanced? Is it hard to expand them further?

3. Would the task force boxes (the "Joe" and "Stefan" ones) be a good way to expand the starter forces and, more important, are those task force boxes balanced towards each other and, say, could be played separately against each other?

I was considering just grabbing those two force boxes along with Core Set for some fun mech tank mayhem aided by a couple infantry units. Is such scale of battle okay for the game? Isn't it too big/cumbersome, bloating the gameplay? I'm asking about this because I have no idea how all this stuff works and some skirmish games tend to get really slow and cumbersome with battles that have more models than they're designed to work with, and I don't know what's the "average" force in DT. :)

Thanks in advance for any information!

Sorry it has taken this long to reply! Fantasy Flight relinquished Dust to Battlefront a couple of years ago, so these forums are kind of dead. I haven't exactly found many lively Dust forums (Battlfront and Dust Studios have had somewhat of a falling out, which has had a negative impact), but www.forum.dust-monthly.com is about the most active I've found. There is also an official Facebook page which is probably the most active, but it is somewhat censored.

Hope that helps!

Wow that sucks, I was all gung-ho to get into DUST tactics but if the game is dead and FFG isn't supporting it anymore, I don't see the point, it will be impossible to get anything worth using in a game. Why doesn't Dust Studios just publish the stuff themselves?

Wow that sucks, I was all gung-ho to get into DUST tactics but if the game is dead and FFG isn't supporting it anymore, I don't see the point, it will be impossible to get anything worth using in a game. Why doesn't Dust Studios just publish the stuff themselves?

Yeah, I was also having a nerd-boner for the models the other day when I first saw them, but this has killed all my ambition to get into the game.

It's a shame, really, because from what I've heard, it's a really good game with quality models.