I've got the core set, will it be wise to buy these expansions?

By rayjordi, in 1. AGoT General Discussion

Hi everybody, i just received the GoT LCG and Lords of Winter Expansion as a present and I'm new to it. Would it be wise or plausible to buy as the first expansions Kings of the Storm, Queen of Dragons and Lions of the Rock since I already have Lords of Winter? Will it be more equal if I buy one of the deluxe expansions for each house?

Thank you!

Unfortunately the timing couldn't be worse. The second edition of the game was debuted at Gen Con, and the entire first edition card pool is going to be retired this November. World Championships is the last sanctioned tournament of the game left in the schedule.

But Second Edition is a much better game! I'd play what you have to get a feel for it, then check out the Second Edition forums to get a rundown of the updates, and if you like it, go ahead and make the Second Edition your next purchase once it hits retail availability in(probably) late September/early October.

Keep in mind that 1st Ed. is still a great game and there is nothing stopping anyone from buying, playing and enjoying it.

FFG will not be designing or releasing any new cards for it, nor will there be a competitive, organized play program for it after November, 2015. But if your goal is to have a great customized-deck-based card game to play with your friends, this is one of the best.

(Those of us who post on the boards forget very quickly that most people are not looking to join a competitive, organized play community).

If your goal is to pick up a new competitive game, go to tournaments, and compete to be the best in the world, you are going to want to switch over to the 2nd Ed. of the game. The wider online and tournament-going community is shifting gears, and we'd love to have you.

But if your goal is to have a great game that allows you and your friends in the local community to try to out-think each other in deckbuilding and fun mechanics for game play, by all means, go for it! The expansion sets for each of the Core factions goes a long way toward developing their personality and making them more fun to play, both with and against. You'll probably even be able to get some deals on the expansions in the near future.

I was moreso trying to say that I think second edition is a better game, and for someone who hasn't really invested yet, I recommend it as their point of entry, whether they intend to participate in Organized Play or only casual play.

Perhaps, but it's not like all the 1.0 cards he has recently received are worthless come September/October.

Depends really on how many people you have playing with you. I have the deluxe expansions and even some Chapter Packs, but now that the new edition is out, I will probably not buy any more chapter packs. We'll just keep playing this one until we are tired of it...we really enjoy playing for now.