POD teams? Official Playmats?

By KongTheApe, in Blood Bowl: Team Manager

I'm starting to think that the odds of FF releasing another expansion for this are somewhere between slim and none. In all honesty I'm not too surprised, with the last two expansions introducing new rules alongside the new teams I'm not further rules or mechanics would really improve the game all that much (although I'm more than willing to be proved wrong!).

But how about some print-on-demand packs? Individual team packs, a "refresh" pack for the original teams, a "star-players" pack?

And I've noticed that FF are producing some really good playmats for some of their other card games. Any chance of an official BB:TM playmat? There are some really great fan-made examples over at BGG but I suspect FF could do something special.

Playmats have been discussed in the past on these forums, and while they would be very nice indeed, I´m still questionning their practicality. Since BBTM is a game where you pile up a ton of cards on each side of a pitch, and each of these need to be visible, AND can be either set horizontally or vertically, it makes it difficult to design a playmat that can cope with this. I´m for playmats, but I´m sceptical as for FFG's capability to come up with something good.

Difficult to design but not impossible, as I said there are some great designs over at BGG. There's absolutely no need for them but having used one of the fan-made designs from BGG my game group really like it, just adds a little more flavour to the game.

I'm sure FFG could design something if they wanted to (or even just buy one of the fan-made designs and make it official) but I'm really starting to think this game isn't making them any / enough money to justify any more investment. I suspect the base game and it's two expansions are all we're going to get.... which is more than some games get so we can't really complain I guess, but it would be nice if we're not getting any more expansions to at least get some official word on it's demise.

I honestly don't know, this game seems to have a lot of popularity, yet I have no idea how well it sells.

With the release of the last expansion I think the game has too much going on if you play with all add-on rules from all expansions. I didn't like Foul Play for many reasons, but one of these reasons was that it really added a thick layer of restrictions to an already long game and I even questioned the sheer "fun" these should supposively give you in exchange of that time/complexity. Then to each his own, but I was far from being impressed.

I think there is room for releasing new teams, but:

- New abilities means none of the older teams have them, unless they release more players or more staff/team upgrades, which sounds more like a patch to me than anything else, and can potentially break balance between the teams. Vampires for instance really got the shaft when they released Foul Play.

- Given the contents of the two expansions, there wouldn't be just the three new teams without a set of additional rules global to the game, which again I think would start to make the game really cumbersome.

To be fair, I think there is also room for additional rules that would be fun for everybody, but not rules that require you to go into technical details as for the timing of your actions, or anything preventing you from playing your cards as you want. I feel like 3 hours + for a game like this with 5 players is too much.

Edited by Indalecio