Shub-Niggurath "Kill the cat" deck

By Yog-Hurtoth, in Call of Cthulhu Deck Construction

Hi,

This is a modified version of a deck I built before the change from ccg to lcg (and before the 0-cost rituals were banned). I used it in a tournament a couple of weeks ago, and beat all of my opponents (two of which have played the game as long as I have) 3-0 (that is, they didn't win any stories).

Any comments or suggestions would be most welcome.

Shub:

3x AER181 Shub-Niggurath, The Black Goat of the Woods

3x AEU194 Slithering Formless Spawn

3x AEC197 Burrowing Beneath

3x UTC111 Forest Sister

3x UTC116 A Time to Reap

3x UTU121 Shocking Transformation

3x FRU110 Ancient Guardian

3x EEC187 Ghoul Khanum

3x EEC191 Priestess of Bubastis

3x EEC203 The Mother's Seed

2x FCR110 Y'Golonac, The Obscenity

3x FCC115 Swaying Branches

3x SoMF13 Dreamlands Messenger

3x KDF 14 Thunder in the East

Neutrals:

3x AER214 The Stars are Right

3x UTU144 Sniper Rifle

3x EEP8 The Unfortunate Cat Klaus

2x KDF20 The Rope and Anchor Tavern

Some basic thoughts:

You could cut 3 cards to bring your deck down to 50. That means you're more likely to have a Mother's Seed or similar in hand when you need it.

Also, your Rope and Anchor will probably end up opting for the "Monster" sub-type, so I'm not sure that Forest Sister or Swaying Branches will do a lot for you. Albino Goat-Spawn would be a cheap Monster drop (instead of the Sister) and Ghoulish Worshipper is rather good for a mixed-border deck (instead of the Branches). Your Sniper Rifle works on skill, so an Altar of the Blessed or Ancient Necropolis could make that more effective.

I rather like the Witch-Tree in a mono-Shub deck, esp. with Formless Spawn and expensive characters. Shadowed Woods is also very handy for overwhelming your opponent if a game drags on. I'd actually prefer them to A Time to Reap, since outside of the first couple of rounds that card will benefit your opponent as much (or more) as it benefits you.

You don't seem to have a lot of early-game blocking/rushing power unless your draw is good (i.e. you pull some Mother's Seeds) - I'd actually swap out the Ancient Guardians in favour of Degenerate Ghouls or similar (or Mi-Go Workers for that extra investigate/acceleration). Perhaps dump the Priestess of Bubastis, too (since you'd have other acceleration from the Tavern, Stars, Witch-Tree, Seed and Shocking Transformation).

These are my thoughts. Not knowing your play style, they may all be utterly useless to you. :)