Imperial Raider: Poorly Made or a Bad Model?

By NathanPButler, in X-Wing Mission Control Technical Support and Feedback Forum

So, my Imperial Raider arrived in the mail today, and I was shocked to find that while I usually have a great experience with FFG miniatures, the Raider I received appears very poorly made, or perhaps a bad model that is an abberation.

The bottom part that looks like TIE Interceptor wings (for lack of a better term) is attached in an uneven way, making it skew to one side, rather than being even as it should be. The same is the case for the TIE style wings on the sides in the rear. One looks fine, but the other seems skewed inward and slightly downward, again giving it an uneven, sloppy look.

Also, when I put the support stand into the front "port" (the little plastic piece that you put it into that is attached to the bottom of the front half of the ship), the port itself came right out! It just stayed stuck to the support peg and separated entirely from the ship, rather than the stand peg coming out of it and leaving it still attached to the ship.

Am I the only one experiencing these issues, or is this just a poory produced model?

Have you pictures?

Thanks

:(

I took pictures when I submitted a replacement request to FFG through the site here. As I was recording a video review earlier tonight, the OTHER port completely came out of the ship, so now BOTH are separated from the ship.

Here's the combined pic I sent to FFG.

butlerimpraider.jpg

Mmm can you wrote to FFG about this?

Seems an example of the finest Chineese craftsmanship.

Mine is excellent.

Looks like you got one made on Flyday

Edited by jeepnut42

One of the pegs of my raider looked weird with plastic looking "scratched" on a decent portion, and was not properly formed so that an extra little piece of plastic punched the cardboard based underneath. Furthermore, this peg did not fit well in the raider hole below, and it was a real pain to have it fit.

I should add that one of the solar panels underneaths is also bent. I am not terribly offended by it, it is a large model with quite fragile pieces. That being said, I am on the fence of contacting FFG. Given the very steep price (almost 100 euros here in France), I was expecting typical FFG quality on this.

Mine will be here Saturday, so we shall see if this is a common issue. The last two epic X-Wing models I got were free from defects.

BTW, this thread is posted in the wrong forum. This forum is for technical support related to the X-Wing mission builder software, not problems with models.

Heard back from FFG. Because it is a "huge" starship model, they will not replace it. I'm just screwed unless I want to return the product to the original retailer. So much for FFG's consumer-friendly replacement policy.

hey there. i saw two of these in an Australian game store today... both had visible top panel defects in the box. i have ordered one online and should have it by next week... i would never have bought one unseen if i had seen what i saw today! this will be my biggest single investment to this game and if i get a defective product with no hope of replacement that will be pretty disappointing. from what i am reading online your experience is not uncommon. i was so looking forward to this ship.. now its a wait and see what the damage is!!!!

I think they got stung with all the transport replacements that went out, when all that was needed to fix it was a wee dab of superglue.

My raider is a bit sloppy too. One of the interceptor style wings is warped so that the wing tip is actually touching the main body. Also, the black wash is really, really sloppy In places. First ship I've had from ffg that was a bit disappointing. Ill be trying to fix it myself though, as I'm not expecting ffg to issue replacements this time around...

I'm thinking a 181st paint job...

Well got mine today and am happy to say it is ok. slight issues with a top and bottom wing but no where near as bad as the pics here. I could be tempted to try and correct as well but I think I will just enjoy it as is rather than risk damaging it. I agree the paint job is a tad sloppy but it is still going to look great on the table. would love a custom engine glow on the back! room for some LEDS I think!!!

Why is this here instead of the relevant Forum? :huh:

I dont see any thing relevant for the mission control.....

Read the pinned post from ffgjosh.

---------- Or read it below ----------

"Welcome to the X-Wing™ Mission Control open beta!

This tool is a resource that you can use to design and share X-Wing missions, track your X-Wing collection, and build and share custom squads for your missions. You can learn more about how the tool functions from its in-depth user guide.

These forums exist so that you can share the details of any technical difficulties you experience or any other helpful feedback you wish to contribute that might help us improve our tool. As always, please be respectful of all users and use language appropriate to an audience of all ages.

Thank you!"

FFG have fantastic customer service in relation to other products because replacing a small product that is relatively cheap is nothing compared to customer satisfaction....but you are talking about a very expensive model. In my time playing this game the only model I have had to replace is my Falcon. The cockpit was glued so that it was off center with the corridor chamber and its lower half meaning the inside was exposed a very minor issue but one that I did not want. I contacted FFG, expecting them to send me packaging to then send it back and they would send me a new one.

I didn't receive that packaging, I received a brand new model fresh from the factory of a YT-1300 that was perfect, no defects or anything as well as a little note thanking me for my custom and wishing me happy gaming. Fantastic piece of customer service. The YT currently sits on my desk and my plan is to one day (not sure when) get some paint and actually practice painting using it, knowing that if i screw it up, its no biggie since it was a defective model anyway.

Now relatively speaking, you are asking them to essentially send you three of those falcon models for free. I also had this problem with my Raider, by the time I noticed I already had sleeved up my cards, I opted to not take it back into the store. What i did do though is basically 'brace' the bent panel with some paper towels to the point where it is being bent in the opposite direction slightly, the hope is that over time it will straighten it out. That was on release day and I haven't checked it yet.

Either way it was my call to get it replaced and I decided on this instead. If it REALLY bothers you, then yes indeed, take it back.

On a related note:

Does anyone have any reference information on other ways to fit it to support pillars (i.e., huge ship pegs)?

I am decidedly unhappy with the fitting points between ship and peg with all huge ships, but particularly the aft section of the Raider. Because it is recessed, it's a lot more difficult to seat properly, and I am certain many players will have pegs that will break and be difficult or impossible to repair.

I'm just really in need of a way to make my investment in this ship stable and safe. The way it shipped (as will all huge ships) it's likely to break.

hello, i would like to add that i just splashed out on 3 huge ships and i am not happy with the pegs and bases system as they do not feel stable at all, is there any thing that anyone can suggest, my tantive just wont sit level on both bases, the front is at least 5mm shorter thanthe rear. otherwise i am pleased with the models.

I took pictures when I submitted a replacement request to FFG through the site here. As I was recording a video review earlier tonight, the OTHER port completely came out of the ship, so now BOTH are separated from the ship.

Here's the combined pic I sent to FFG.

butlerimpraider.jpg

I have almost exact same issue with the starboard wing. Sad to see I'd have to go through the return process since I punched everything out and unpacked it all before i pulled it out of the plastic to even notice.

Oops, not always good to save best for last.

Not sure if it's the same material, but using hot water from the tap (like 120 F-ish) helped to warm up and reposition some of my Star Wars minis from the Wizards of the Coast series. But those are a softer plastic. I'm going to try it on this and see if I can get anywhere, I'll post result is they're favorable.

Best to all who 'suffered' like us.

EDIT:

Tried with tap water, heat maybe around 118 fahrenheit, for 5 minutes, the plastic felt plenty warm to the touch. Inserted a spacer to hold the win at the appropriate distance and let cool overnight. Next morning, no effect: it still went back to the previous warped shape. Next up. Hair dryer.

Edited by Ono-boso