Resolved Multiple Into Combo?

By Sol Badguy, in UFS Rules Q & A

If I multiple a multiple, For this instance I will use Spinning Demon, and the Multiple resolves can I play an attack that combos off of a low attack and use the combo?

2.14.2.2 Combo
Combo: (X) - In order to play the Combo ability written in the
card text box, you must have cards with the required traits (noted in the
parentheses) in the card pool immediately preceding this card in the listed order.
Any references given to zones in the requirements refer to attack zones.

2.14.2.4.3 Multiple copies have no printed values of their own. The
face down card is only the representation of an attack, and anything that references printed values of the attack will return a
“null” (or “zero” for a number).

Combo does not reference any printed values on the preceding card, unless "required traits" is defined somewhere else. That means anything the references a zone for a combo will still work. Example: Spinning Demon, multiple, Achernar will let you combo.

-Tinman

Think I know answer to this but.. Facedown cards created by Lu-chen support interupts combo's right?

yes, because it says "immediately preceding" and not something like "last attack or action".

-Tinman

Tinman said:

2.14.2.2 Combo
Combo: (X) - In order to play the Combo ability written in the
card text box, you must have cards with the required traits (noted in the
parentheses) in the card pool immediately preceding this card in the listed order.
Any references given to zones in the requirements refer to attack zones.

2.14.2.4.3 Multiple copies have no printed values of their own. The
face down card is only the representation of an attack, and anything that references printed values of the attack will return a
“null” (or “zero” for a number).

Combo does not reference any printed values on the preceding card, unless "required traits" is defined somewhere else. That means anything the references a zone for a combo will still work. Example: Spinning Demon, multiple, Achernar will let you combo.

-Tinman

does this mean lion slayers combo works after Spinning demons multiple?

My group has always played it as there are no keywords on the facedown card, not as though they have zero for a number

No. Spinning demon's multiples won't have the kick keyword.

From 2.14.2.4 "...Each of the cards placed into your card pool counts as a copy of the Multiple attack with a blank text box and speed and damage values equal to the printed values of the original attack..."

So it will work where the multiples are looking at the height of the attack, but not for keywords on the attacks.

Note that it also wouldn't work with Blazing Fist's multiples and Punch combos either.

So FREX: Punch, Punch, Blazing Fist, Multiple 2, Blazing Fist

And you will not be able to combo enhance w/ the second Blazing Fish. They lose the punch keyword after they resolve.

(well I suppose if you somehow reversaled w/ a Blazing Fist after playing the multiple enhance, but before they resolved)

Just a question, Say I play James Hata. He changes the zone of an attack. (I know this doesn't work for combos) but since the printed zones were changed and this doesn't work and multiples have no printed values.. what if you change them? Just seems fishy these two rulings together.

1) Printed zones are never changed.

2) Zone Changes that Hata does will revert back to printed when the attack resolves. However if you change the zone before using the multiple enhance, the multiples will keep the zone change "forever" (only speed and damage reference printed).

So for example, you have 1 momentum, FuryOTA and KnightB in hand. You want to combo w/ the KB. What you would have to do is:

Play FOTA

Change zone to High. Then enhance w/ multiple.

When the FOTA resolves it's zone returns to "normal" which is mid.

The multiple however is a copy of a high attack and so will stay a high attack until end of turn.

Viola. Play Knightbreaker.

If you play the multiple first it won't work because even if you later change the zone of the multiple, the zone will revert back to it's "normal" zone when the multiple attack resolves.

Wouldn't that net you +0 damage on the Knightbreaker Combo E, because the printed damage of a multiple is zero?

Just saying.

-Tinman

Well yeah. I never said it was a good idea. Just that it was possible. But inferences can be made and smart puppies can surely figure out other silly things you can do.

For some odd reason i seem to remember there being some sort of ruling for From the horse Enurance that may help us out. but i can't find it!

E commit: your attack gets +x speed x equals the number of attacks in your card pool.

if i remember correctly once a multiple attack resolved it returned to it's "printed" values, being nothing. meaning it was no longer and attack.

for example fury of the ancients, use multiple. you have 4 attacks in your card pool. it resolves, first multiple, still have 4 attacks, second multiple. there's only 3 because the first multiple resolved.

I can't remember where i read this nor can i find it for the life of me in the forums. if that's true then technically you couldn't use a combo on a multiple because it isn't an attack! so you can't fulfill low attack, high attack or mid attack.

maybe i made this all? i can't remember. correct me if i'm wrong

When a multiple finishes resolving, it reverts to a blank card, which is an attack of printed values equal to the original. It does not stop being an attack at any point.

Because of that, you can combo off a multiple, so long as the combo does not require a keyword, as multiples lose them after they resolve, if they get them.

-Tinman

dark121 said:

For some odd reason i seem to remember there being some sort of ruling for From the horse Enurance that may help us out. but i can't find it!

E commit: your attack gets +x speed x equals the number of attacks in your card pool.

if i remember correctly once a multiple attack resolved it returned to it's "printed" values, being nothing. meaning it was no longer and attack.

for example fury of the ancients, use multiple. you have 4 attacks in your card pool. it resolves, first multiple, still have 4 attacks, second multiple. there's only 3 because the first multiple resolved.

I can't remember where i read this nor can i find it for the life of me in the forums. if that's true then technically you couldn't use a combo on a multiple because it isn't an attack! so you can't fulfill low attack, high attack or mid attack.

maybe i made this all? i can't remember. correct me if i'm wrong

From the Horse has no such ruling.